Need some advice on what headphones to buy!
Apr 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Volkan

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm currently planning on getting my first set of "good" headphones and im not sure weather to go for the Bose OE2i or the Grado Sr60i? I can get a good deal on the Bose (£85) which is tempting however the Grados have some impressive reviews. I'm also planning on getting a Fiio E7 along with the headphones. I'm hoping to get balanced and accurate sound with good instrument seperation. Which one should I go for?

Thanks

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 9
On the Bose, the "i" suffix only means they're iDevice friendly, so if you don't need that, you can probably save some bucks on that front.

Now, regarding the sound - I've heard both versions of the AE and will tell you that straight-up, Bose's "target house sound" is nothing like that of Grado. More bass, bigger soundstage, and more isolation are almost guaranteed here (as well as better comfort). The Grado will likely get you better mids and top-end, and might be faster. 

If you're purchasing the Bose set from an authorized retailer, you'll get the 30-day trial, so my best suggestion would be to either buy both and return the one you dislike, or buy the Bose first (if money is tight) and if you dislike them, return them for the SR-60. Recognize that the SR-60 are open and will leak like a sieve though, so if you're planning to use these while out and about, I'd probably drop them right off your radar. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't know anything about the Bose.  The Grados are a classic--but some love and some hate the Grado house sound.

You should probably provide more specifics about what kind of sound you're looking for; check out the buying guides linked in the first post here and then repost your more specific request (also) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/13740#post_8287410

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi

I'm only planning to use these for when I'm home so the open back design is not that important. The Grados are pretty much the same price as the Bose but I want to go for the one that's going to give me cleaner most balanced sound.

Thanks

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Hmmm.... "balanced and accurate" are not really the strong points of the Bose sound, so if that's what you want I would stay away from any Bose product.  That being said, you should at least try both sets before buying.

Does anyone know how comfortable the Bose are compared to the Grado's?  My experience with Grado is that they take a bit to get used to (supra-aural and all...)

Just to widen the field a bit, you may want to consider:

Bowers & Wilkins C5 -- In-Ear
Denon AH-D1100  -- Circumaural; a significant upgrade over the OE2i.
Shure SE215 -- More in-line with your stated price range.

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Hi

I'm only planning to use these for when I'm home so the open back design is not that important. The Grados are pretty much the same price as the Bose but I want to go for the one that's going to give me cleaner most balanced sound.

Thanks

get the sr80i they sound better than the sr60i with more focus and control they are worth the extra cash..
i would forget about bose..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back