Need Single Speed Bicycle Advice...Please
Mar 20, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 16
Are you going to be riding single-speed or fixed? They're different things.

I don't know how much your budget is for this project or how good your mechanical skills are, but it might be cheaper to pick up an old frame with horizontal or semi-horizontal drop outs and build your own rear wheel instead of paying for a new bike.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 16
No hipsters allowed!

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 16
These Bikes Direct bikes are fine. Good quality for the money and fun to ride without alot of investment. They come SS with a flip hub for FG and they come with both brakes. I ride a SS, although mine is a Torelli, and I've seen many of the SEs and Windsors about and they are solid.

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 16
I looked at Bikes Direct. They have nice merchandise. I went to Performance Bicycles. I tested a SE Draft. It was okay. I tested a SE top of the line. I fell in love but that was not in the budget. The salesperson let me test every single speed that they sold. I ended up with a Schwinn Cutter. This has the same frame materials as the Draft. The crank set and wheels are a step up from the Draft. This bicycle was $218.00 and the draft was $179.00. I did not want to spend too much as I am rough on Bicycles.

I tried a "fixie" while I was there. That is not my flavor. I was at an idependent bike shop before I went to Performance Bicycles. The salesman showed me several Treks. They were nice. He showed me his personal single speed. It was a SE Draft. That is when I headed over to Performance Bicycles. I will revisit this thread and post pictures when I get the bicycle. It is being assembled at this moment.

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 16
That was a good pick. You'll enjoy the heck out of it. I don't ride fixed either. I just started a spin class and they are fixed and I don't like it, but then, I'm not on the street either.

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 16
You get used to riding fixed. I've had one for 3 seasons now and my spin is so much smoother after riding it for the early part of the season and as my general "around town" bike.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 16
Got It Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMG

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by J6X900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will probably crank up the gear ratio in the future (42:16 at the moment, and I find myself pedaling like mad too often)

I find a rear derailer works well in this instance.

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 16
Nice bike!

I was going to recommend a Kona Unit...but you got a nice rig.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 16
I brought the bike home and transferred the lock and pump from my Trek to the Schwinn. I went for a ride. About an hour later my wife calls and ask what I'm doin'.........I said that I'm walking the bike up a hill...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back