Need Replacement for Sennheiser Momentum
Feb 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:
UE6000 is much better in all categories, imho. Sennheiser makes other portable headphones that are better than the Momentum, such as the Amperior.

I have a current post up asking about a couple different Senn's (Momentum and HD598) based on music type/genre...what makes you say that the Amperior's are better? Does anyone else have some input on this? I am trying to figure out which pair to buy and I keep hearing different things, so input is definitely appreciated.

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #32 of 40
EDIT: Oops, forgot to quote properly.

So, BRAC said: "UE6000 is much better in all categories, imho. Sennheiser makes other portable headphones that are better than the Momentum, such as the Amperior."

^ grain of salt, that. Personally, I couldn't be bothered with the Amperior, and love the Momentum's sound, which I find superior in every category.

I respect your opinion. We all hear things very differently. If people are unable to personally audition and compare headphones, the next best option is to try and find others with similar tastes and see what they like. It's obviously not ideal, but sometimes it's the only option you've got.

I certainly wouldn't say they had too much bass, even the DT770's have more bass than that. But if you meant that they had too much bass relative to their treble, then yes, I'd definitely agree. The Logitechs are a really dark headphone, the treble roll off on them bothered me so much I had to return them in the end, even though I used up the 30-day return window cause I wanted to like them so much for their other qualities. Their soundstage was nice, they were pretty well detailed (more so than the M100's I think), the bass had a really nice slam/punch to it (especially when in active mode), and the mids were very natural. But that lack of treble in passive mode always made me feel like I was missing way too much information up in the higher frequencies, cause I had to really struggle and strain myself trying to even get a glimpse of what was going on up there sometimes. This problem went away in active mode however, but then the treble became shrill and artificial, and the nice mids just dissipated into the background. Not to mention that I didn't like the idea of having to go through batteries to get a sound I liked, so I had to return them in the end.

Overall, for portable use, I like the M100 the best out of all the ones I've tried (amperiors, akg tiestos, dt1350's, etc), but I wouldn't say they sound $100 better than the UE6000's, they just improve that severe treble roll off (though, the M100's are still dark themselves) and give a bigger soundstage, at the expense of more bloated bass with a slower punch, less upper mids, and less details. Yet, I still like them more; though the form-factor is also rather nice in comparison I thought, those M100's fold up to be surprisingly small, and that 'shareplay' feature with the spare input/output jack on the cups has already come in handy a few times.

For general non-portable use though, I would have to agree that it'll be really tough to beat the new alpha pad mad dogs. Those things are shockingly similar to the LCD-2's in sound, only with leaner bass/slam and a slight bit more treble, but otherwise they are just as smooth and have a phenomenally open-sounding soundstage for a closed can. They do improve quite a bit with amping, but if the OP sees going further into audio -- even if it's in the distant future -- then the mad dogs would probably be the best bet. However it might depend on what type of music you're gonna be listening to with these, as the others mentioned here do have more 'fun', thumpin' bass.

I would tend to agree with the majority of your UE6000 assessment. The UE6000 definitely is a darker headphone. And, I also agree that M100 is the best of the lot. If the op prefers a brighter headphone, the UE6000 may not be the ideal choice.

I have a current post up asking about a couple different Senn's (Momentum and HD598) based on music type/genre...what makes you say that the Amperior's are better? Does anyone else have some input on this? I am trying to figure out which pair to buy and I keep hearing different things, so input is definitely appreciated.

For me, the Amperior is just better balanced overall. The Momentum really lacks clarity due to an extreme upper bass/lower mid bass emphasis. And, I also find the midrange is way too recessed. Vocals tend to sound very distant on the Momentum.

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:
I respect your opinion. We all hear things very differently. If people are unable to personally audition and compare headphones, the next best option is to try and find others with similar tastes and see what they like. It's obviously not ideal, but sometimes it's the only option you've got.
I would tend to agree with the majority of your UE6000 assessment. The UE6000 definitely is a darker headphone. And, I also agree that M100 is the best of the lot. If the op prefers a brighter headphone, the UE6000 may not be the ideal choice.
For me, the Amperior is just better balanced overall. The Momentum really lacks clarity due to an extreme upper bass/lower mid bass emphasis. And, I also find the midrange is way too recessed. Vocals tend to sound very distant on the Momentum.

Could you please explain yourself here?
According to Tyll's data sheets on all 3 headphones you mentioned, the Momentum seems to have the most balanced frequency spectrum from 10hz to 1000hz.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/LogitechUE6000passive.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentum.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserAmperior.pdf

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #34 of 40
Could you please explain yourself here?
According to Tyll's data sheets on all 3 headphones you mentioned, the Momentum seems to have the most balanced frequency spectrum from 10hz to 1000hz.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/LogitechUE6000passive.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentum.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserAmperior.pdf

No need to comment on those data sheets. I don't listen to data sheets. What matters to me is what I hear. I'm quite certain that anyone who has been around audio long enough understands that even though 2 headphones may measure the same, that doesn't necessarily mean that they sound the same.

EDIT: Btw, to clarify, when I say better "balanced", I'm not talking about frequency response. What I'm talking about is how cohesive the sound is as a whole, to my ears.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Yeah but suggesting the UE6000 is "much" better than the Momentums is just misleading and wrong. If you prefer the UE6000 fine, but they are broadly comparable headphones in terms of SQ. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:
No need to comment on those data sheets. I don't listen to data sheets. What matters to me is what I hear. I'm quite certain that anyone who has been around audio long enough understands that even though 2 headphones may measure the same, that doesn't necessarily mean that they sound the same.

EDIT: Btw, to clarify, when I say better "balanced", I'm not talking about frequency response. What I'm talking about is how cohesive the sound is as a whole, to my ears.

I really don't think the graphs go against what you're saying, I think you just used the term 'balanced' to refer to the balance between bass/mids/treble, as opposed to the frequency spectrum as a whole (as how a lot of others here would use the term). The amperiors definitely have a very balanced 'W' signature, but a 'w' signature still has those dips in the lower mids/upper bass and upper mids/lower treble, and they are quite audible, not just some kind of measurement phenomenon. Meanwhile, the momentum's dips aren't nearly as prevalent, and the treble is more in-line with what is considered to be 'neutral' for headphones, so therefore: more 'balanced'. Obviously this doesn't mean they'll sound good/better to anybody though. For my own personal tastes, I prefer having treble closer to that of the DT1350's.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #37 of 40
Yeah but suggesting the UE6000 is "much" better than the Momentums is just misleading and wrong. If you prefer the UE6000 fine, but they are broadly comparable headphones in terms of SQ. 

To my ears it is much better, so not misleading at all. I gave my reasons and that's that. Why don't you just give your own assessment and leave the decisions up to the op. I'm not sure why you feel the need to attack me.

To the op, by all means, take my comments with a grain of salt. I am just one person and one opinion.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #38 of 40
I really don't think the graphs go against what you're saying, I think you just used the term 'balanced' to refer to the balance between bass/mids/treble, as opposed to the frequency spectrum as a whole (as how a lot of others here would use the term). The amperiors definitely have a very balanced 'W' signature, but a 'w' signature still has those dips in the lower mids/upper bass and upper mids/lower treble, and they are quite audible, not just some kind of measurement phenomenon. Meanwhile, the momentum's dips aren't nearly as prevalent, and the treble is more in-line with what is considered to be 'neutral' for headphones, so therefore: more 'balanced'. Obviously this doesn't mean they'll sound good better to anybody though. For my own personal tastes, I prefer having treble closer to that of the DT1350's.

Well said. That's a great explanation from a more technical point of view.

What can I say, I just prefer the sound of the UE6000 and Amperior, by a significant margin. I also feel it important to note that I have no dog in this fight, since I returned the Amperior and only auditioned the UE6000. I now have an M100, which I prefer over all of the above.

EDIT: I just remembered that the op is looking for a larger ear cup. I guess we are getting way off topic here. My recommendation still remains the UE6000.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #39 of 40
I attack you because I hate when people come on here and make wildly exaggerated claims. You didn't just say you prefer one over the other, you said one is much better in all categories and that is just garbage.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:
The HD-580, being the predecessor to the HD-6## series is available and around $150 - $170.  However, it has aged a bit and the sound isn't quite near that of the HD-600 - unless one has performed some upgrades - mesh cups of the HE-600, etc.  However, such modifications still put the cost in the range of the HD-600.  

That's not really true. The 580s and 600s used the same drivers, though when the 600 came out they advertised tolerances as being tighter. The difference was that the 580J/600 uses different materials for the grills, cups, and headbands. 

I found them to sound substantially the same, except that the 600's carbon fiber headband had a Grip of Death that made them very uncomfortable compared to the 580's plastic headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back