Need recommendations: the bass of the Sennheiser HD 250, but better packaging/quality
Aug 27, 2008 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

uOpt

New Head-Fier
Short version:

Can I have the sound of the Sennheiser HD 250 linear, the bass in particular, in a higher quality package? What would you recommend I check out?

%%

Long version:

I normally use a Beyerdynamic DT 770, but sometimes I want and need the bass that my HD 250 linear has.

The HD 250 linear is falling apart, I don't like the Y cable and it is uncomfortable. It was uncomfortable to wear even when it was new.

Here's what I like about my existing phones:
  1. AKG K 240 monitor: best analytical mids, best for "work", but lacks punch. No fun.
  2. HD 250 linear: best bass, really like it sound-wise but see above, the packaging and quality just don't do it.
  3. Beyerdynamic DT 770: what I use most of the time when not analysing anything. Good allround phones. I like that they are closed. Just the bass, it's not enough.

Ideally what I would want is the mids of the AKG, the bass of the Sennheiser and the rest of the Beyer.

%%

BTW, any recommendations for a preamp that has EQ for bass, a parametric control would be ideal?

Thanks

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 9
AKG K271S

Imo it beats the Senn HD250's in most areas, including better soundstaging, and better midrange. The bass is very similiar.

You can even play with different earpads (stock pleather, velour, other makers such as Beyer, etc) and aftermarket cables to tweak the sound.

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 9
AKG most certainly does have them. Go to professional audio. They wouldn't sell a consumer version with $15 of connectors, now, would they?
k701smile.gif

It's a very good thing, too, because I'm hating the stock cable. It knows I'm giving it the evil eye.

The mkII follow the S. The K271 mkII has the same character as the K271S, but it was so long between hearing the K271S and deciding to buy nice cans, that I can't be more detailed than that.

The K240S was like a cross between the K271S and a PortaPro.

BTW, I don't know what the lowest out there is, but I got my K271 mkII from East Luna for $200 shipped.

k701smile.gif
based off of an assumption that they can't go too much lower than I can find prices for the Switchcraft models in large quantities.

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Still trying to determine whether I should make a point out of getting the K271 Mk II. The older Studio gets sold cheaper some of the time.

Anybody else heard both the S and the Mk II? Should I insist on a Mk II?

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Bump. So it's time to admit that even after burn in I don't like the K271 I got after this thread.

What should I try next?

The K271 sounds too "direct" in lack of a better word, I clearly prefer the DT 770 among those two. But I'd still like a better rock'n'roll approach, in the bass in particular. The bass of the HD 250 linear (which seems to have been stolen out of my office room
frown.gif
)).

Maybe it is time I try typical "rock" headphones?

What to try next? There must be something that takes the best of the DT 770 and tightens it up without all closing in on me like the K271.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back