Need RECOMMENDATIONS! Have US$300-$400 to invest on DAC.
Oct 23, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #16 of 50
There's so much more to a sound signature than just the DAC chip used. I don't think the fact that something uses an opamp vs discrete, a switch mode PSU vs linear, etc. should influence your decision so much, since you can find good and bad sounding examples of each.

Thus far, I've yet to hear an ES9108 based DAC that isn't impressive (and in fact my new reference DAC uses that very chip). I don't think it's likely that Audio GD will be the first to disappoint but we don't really know until we hear it. In the meantime, we should stop using so many generalizations.

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #17 of 50

Quote:
I say you have to make up your mind whether you want a combo unit or a separate DAC and amp first before we can proceed. 
smile_phones.gif

Hi K3ct,

I want a combo unit, a DAC+Amp.
thanks.

btw, reading more from this forum, I stumble Yulong DC100, many good praises for this unit. what do you think?

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 50

Quote:
There's so much more to a sound signature than just the DAC chip used. I don't think the fact that something uses an opamp vs discrete, a switch mode PSU vs linear, etc. should influence your decision so much, since you can find good and bad sounding examples of each.

Thus far, I've yet to hear an ES9108 based DAC that isn't impressive (and in fact my new reference DAC uses that very chip). I don't think it's likely that Audio GD will be the first to disappoint but we don't really know until we hear it. In the meantime, we should stop using so many generalizations.

thanks project86 for the input,
now, i more confidence that I couldn't be wrong in choosing either of the options.

I'm still very newbie at this stuff, so lots to learn from others like you.

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #19 of 50
The Yulong D100 definitely looks interesting. I thought they have been around for quite a while and their DAC was well-received here too. It's hard to recommend something that I haven't heard before though so I would wait until the impressions for the NFB-11 pour in before making the decision. 

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #20 of 50
The yulong dac has a lot of praise, however its amp section it seems to fall a little short. I was considering the yulong just to use as a dac to feed my caliente amp until the audio-gd NFB11 DAC came out.  I for one will be following the impressions for this new dac closely.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #21 of 50

Quote:
The yulong dac has a lot of praise, however its amp section it seems to fall a little short. I was considering the yulong just to use as a dac to feed my caliente amp until the audio-gd NFB11 DAC came out.  I for one will be following the impressions for this new dac closely.

The Yulong D100 internal amp is excellent. Better than the amp built in to the Benchmark DAC1, and roughly on par with the built in amp of the Lavry DA10. I know you can still do better, but I wouldn't call that "falling short". Your Caliente may or may not be better, you'd have to AB them to decide.

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #22 of 50

Quote:
The Yulong D100 internal amp is excellent. Better than the amp built in to the Benchmark DAC1, and roughly on par with the built in amp of the Lavry DA10. I know you can still do better, but I wouldn't call that "falling short". Your Caliente may or may not be better, you'd have to AB them to decide.

Yes true I would actually have to hear it in person. I was just going by all the different impressions I've read on the forum. And those impressions seem like people are more impressed with the DAC than they are with the amp. That's all I meant to say.  It looks like you have the gear to compare so I'm sure you know what you are talking about having heard them all in person.

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 50

Quote:

Yes true I would actually have to hear it in person. I was just going by all the different impressions I've read on the forum. And those impressions seem like people are more impressed with the DAC than they are with the amp. That's all I meant to say.  It looks like you have the gear to compare so I'm sure you know what you are talking about having heard them all in person.

I get what you are saying, and you are correct: the DAC part is the main draw, and the amp is just a bonus. That actually seems to be the case whenever you find a DAC/amp combo, with the possible exception of the Grace Design M-902 (I like that better as an amp than as a DAC). Portable units are usually the opposite: built in USB DAC is decent, amp section is better.

Anyway, sorry to drag this off topic. I'm glad there are so many good DAC choices these days. 5 years ago it was not this way at all.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #24 of 50

Quote:
The Yulong D100 definitely looks interesting. I thought they have been around for quite a while and their DAC was well-received here too. It's hard to recommend something that I haven't heard before though so I would wait until the impressions for the NFB-11 pour in before making the decision. 

ok..

so, no one in the forum has actually receive the unit and tested NFB-11?

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #25 of 50
I have been wanting Benchmark DAC1 all these time...
reading some post about Yulong DC100, I Have impressions that DC100 DAC quality is almost the same quality with DAC1, is that true?
anyone has compared them?

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #26 of 50
The Benchmark DAC-1 has a reputation of being harsh and I know some reliable people here who have commented similarly. 

The NFB-11s have started arriving so impressions should arrive soon. I really would not worry buying the NFB-11 as you can easily sell them here or at our local circle at minimum loss as reading impressions in an online forum can do you so much. Hearing it yourself is priceless. 

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #27 of 50
The Benchmark DAC-1 is probably the king of "mixed feelings". Some say it´s fantastic, for others it´s the perfect "digitis" example: harsh, dry, without soul... It´s been on the market for quite a while without major price changes, so I´d favor the newer products, including the Yulong. When I tried the DAC-1 I felt its headphone amplifier section wasn´t really that hot. I compared it to a Lehmann Black Cube Linear. The DAC section was very analytical and clean, too void of emotion for my liking. Matched with the right amp, the DAC-1 is probably good, but even then I´d say there are products out there that offer better value since you´d be paying for a headphone amp section you wouldn´t use.

EDIT: and I fully agree with the previous comment. The NFB-11 is a limited run promo price right now, which is sold at almost no profit so I doubt you´d have any problems selling it with minimal loss here on the forums. The Audio-gd "fanclub" around here is big and active
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #28 of 50

Quote:
The Benchmark DAC-1 has a reputation of being harsh and I know some reliable people here who have commented similarly. 

The NFB-11s have started arriving so impressions should arrive soon. I really would not worry buying the NFB-11 as you can easily sell them here or at our local circle at minimum loss as reading impressions in an online forum can do you so much. Hearing it yourself is priceless. 

Thank K3cT.

sell it at the local circle? which country circle? hehehe.. you mean in Jakarta, Indonesia?

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #29 of 50
+1 for NFB-11, if your music source is flac or CDs. or perhaps mp3 320Kbps. or wait until we hear some impressions of NFB-11. likely happen in early next week or late this week. But not sure if the promotion will be gone by then. Personally, if I were you, I would go and just get NFB-11 before it sells out on promtion. It seems like Audio GD hardly disappoint head-fiers in terms of quality vs. price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back