Need Recommendations for Singlepower Amp
Dec 18, 2004 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Hi-Fi Nut

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in getting a Singlepower amp.

I'm trying to decide between th $649 PPX3-6NS7 or the $849 MPX3. The headphones I'll be using are Sennheiser HD-650. I wonder if the MPX3 is worth the $200 dollar difference.

On Singlepower's website they say that the MPX3:

"The design of the MPX3 allows the listener to more readily hear the sound characteristics and traits of the tubes used. This is accomplished through a combination of a very high degree of regulation and filtering, along with zero negative feedback and a large reservoir of stored electrical energy. In other words, with the MPX3 you hear how your tubes affect your music, not how your amp or power supply affects it. While the MPX3's sound is very powerful and dynamic, it is always under control."

They make it sound like with their lesser models (PPX3 and PPX3-6SN7) you won't fully appreciate the tubes because the amp or power supply will get in the way. Does anyone know how the PPX3-6SN7 compares to the MPX3? How much better is the MPX3 compared to the less expensive Singlepower amps? What upgrades would you guys recommend for the PPX3-6SN7 and the MPX3? Would a highly ugraded PPX3-6SN7 be just as good as a base MPX3?

Dec 18, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 13
The biggest difference between the PPX-3 6SN7 and the MPX-3 is the power supply. The PPX-3 is unregulated, while the MPX-3 uses a good regulated power supply. (The Supra uses an insanely regulated power supply). The PPX-3 tends to have a lushier "tubier" sound, but loses a slight bit of detail compared to its bigger brothers. It's a very "fun" dynamic type of sound. I've got a stock PPX-3 6CG7 that I keep simply because it's fun to listen to, even though I've got several of its big brothers. The MPX-3 is a bit less lush, and adds more detail due to the strong power supply. This is a more transparent amplifier than the PPX-3, IMO.

Edisonmach,

The SinglePower amps have single-ended inputs and outputs, but at least one Head-Fi member (Tom Hankins) has custom-ordered a balanced version.

Dec 18, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 13
If you get an mpx3 or better, make sure your source is up to the task.

That's a lot of money to throw at an amp, so I would want to keep some balance in the system. I don't know how many revisions the mpx3 has gone through but the one I have (~1 yr old) was not happy until I put in a pair of Sylvanias and a Ken Rad (all VT-231s). Bass is still light on mine, but the music is cohesive, has a nice tone, and is very detailed.

Dec 20, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 13
I'm sure Mikhail at singlepower can whip you up one with additional charge.

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Fi Nut
Coul I upgrade the PPX3-6SN7 to a regulated power supply?

If you do that, you've basically got an MPX-3.

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Fi Nut
Coul I upgrade the PPX3-6SN7 to a regulated power supply?

Yes you can. it's called a MPX3.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 13
My MPX3 has the Solen Stage 3 upgrade which, I've been told, adds a great deal of bass. I originally used a pair of Sylvania tubes and a Ken-Rad (which is said to be strong for bass as well) and found it to be a bit too much with my HD650/Zu headphones. I then acquired a Tung Sol Round Plate tube for the driver and am currently completely satisfied...it sounds fantastic (much better than what I hear from the amp in my Benchmark DAC1, which I'm told is a decent headphone amp).

Jan 4, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 13
you can email Mikhail if you're interested in that feature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back