Need recommendations for Over The Ear Headphones + Amp/DAC
Jan 18, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 25
Then i will buy the DT770 PRO 80 Ohm with the magni 2.

Can you please recommend me a cable with which i will be able to connect the sound card to the magni 2 (it should be 3.5mm on one end and 2xRCA on the other end) ?

Thanks a lot for the help !

May 2, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #18 of 25
Hi,
This thread is a bit old but it became relevant for me.
Few months ago i was very close to place orders for DT770 PRO 80 Ohm & magni 2 but then i had some expenses that prevented from me buying that audio equipment.

Now i have a budget of approximately 500 US $ for one of the following options:

1. Buying Headphones + Amp (using my Asus Xonar D1 as a DAC).
2. Buying Headphones + Amp + DAC.
3. Buying Headphones + Amp/DAC combo.

A small reminder that i mainly listening to bass heavy music: House, Dubstep, Trap, Rap, Hip-Hop.
The comfort of the Headphones is very important since some times i'm wearing the headphones for long periods of time (5-6 hours).

Thank you !

May 3, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #20 of 25
If you can end up with better headphones with (1), then go for that.

If the headphones you decide on allow you to buy (2) or (3) that is an upgrade over the D1, then why not?

And maybe the best plan is to go ahead and get the Magni 2 so that when you get some headphones, you have a decent amp to try them on. The Xonar D1 does not have a headphone amp, and so will not give you the full experience of any headphones you try. Then, if you have money in your budget after finding the headphones you want, you could add a Modi. Or maybe you won't feel you need one.

The V-Moda M100 would be a good headphone to consider.

May 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #21 of 25
Thank you for the recommendations !
I'm accepting your recommendation about buying in first stage headphones + amp without replacing the DAC (Xonar D1).
I have read a lot of positive reviews about the DT770 PRO 80 Ohm so i will buy them.
For the amp I think i will buy the Magni 2 Uber as you recommended at the beginning and use it's pre-amp outputs with my powered speakers.

May 3, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 25
One thing. If the DT770 Pro 250 are cheaper (they sometimes are), the Magni 2 will easily drive them. I'd go with whichever is cheaper of the 80 vs 250 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back