Need recommendations for Over The Ear Headphones + Amp/DAC
Jan 16, 2015 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

sashakrik

Head-Fier
Hi,
I want to buy over the ear headphones + Amp/DAC combo.
I'm going to use the headphones and the Amp/DAC with my PC, currently i'm using low end headset and sound card (razer carcharias+asus xonar D1).

My main usage of the headphones is listening to music and some times i'm playing FPS video games and watching movies.
I'm listening the following music: House, Dubstep, Trap, Rap, Hip-Hop.

I need closed headphones.
It's very important that the headphones will have a good sound quality and a comfortable design so i can wear them for long periods of time.

My total budget for the headphones + Amp/DAC is approximately 500 US $.

Thank you !

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 25
I'm thinking DT990 Pro 250 ohm with Magni 2/Modi 2. You could also get something with more bass but then you'd have to sacrifice soundstage.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 25
The Xonar D1s DAC is pretty good on it's own. You could go with a Schiit Magni 2 and run it off the Xonar D1. That would leave you more money for headphones. Phillips X1 seems to fit your musical tastes.

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 25
Thanks for recommending the DT770 Pro 80 ohm, they have a lot of positive reviews.

I have found the DT770 Pro 80 ohm for 170$ and the magni 2 is 99$, in total it's 269 $. Are these the best headphones & Amp for my 400$ budget ?

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 25
Add a modi 2 and it looks pretty solid :wink:

Didn't see you already have a soundcard. Don't really know anything about soundcards so I don't know. But the DT770 80 ohm and magni 2 looks good.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 25
Thanks for recommending the DT770 Pro 80 ohm, they have a lot of positive reviews.

I have found the DT770 Pro 80 ohm for 170$ and the magni 2 is 99$, in total it's 269 $. Are these the best headphones & Amp for my 400$ budget ?

Yep. Get whichever you can of the DT770 Pro 80 or Pro 250 (whichever is cheaper). Both will sound great.

That's a good setup. You could get the Modi. It would likely offer a modest performance increase over the Xonar D1s DAC, but not nearly as much as getting these headphones and the Magni. I'd say start with that, and if you become curious later, you can always add the Modi or another DAC.

Also, any interest in adding speakers to your setup in the future? If so, best to spend the extra dollars and get the Magni 2 Uber. It has pre-outs so you can hook up powered speakers or a speaker amp and operate them with the same volume control on the Magni.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 25
I do have a set of speakers, here is the description of the audio setup on my PC:
I have a set of speakers that includes amplifier (microlab FC362), the amplifier is connected to the front panel connector of the PC case, the front panel connector connected internally to the asus xonar D1.
My current headphones connected to the headphones output of the sound card, it's on the back side of the PC case and it's says in the user's manual of the sound card that this output has higher SNR then the other outputs.
I can direct the sound to the headphones or to the speakers via the sound card software.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 25
Right. Better SQ out of the connector on the back. So you could connect the Magni 2 Uber to that, then use the Magni 2 Uber with both your speakers and your headphones--no more software switch on the computer. Will it sound better with your Microlabs? I don't know much about their quality.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 25
I prefer to switch between the headphones and the speakers, i don't want them to play music simultaneously.
So i will leave the speakers connected to the front panel of the PC.

Are there any other differences between the magni 2 and magni 2 uber besides the addition of the pre-amp outputs ?
If i will get a better sound quality on the headphones with the magni 2 uber i will buy it although i will not use the pre-amp outputs.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 25
I prefer to switch between the headphones and the speakers, i don't want them to play music simultaneously.

Most headphone amp/pre amps "sense" when you plug in the headphones in and unplug them and switch back and forth between the output and the headphone jack automatically--they don't run both at the same time. I would bet (you could verify) that the Magni 2 Uber works that way by asking here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/746128/the-schiitstorm-next-gen-magni-2-and-modi-2-family

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #15 of 25
Is the sound quality of the headphones output on the magni 2 uber better than the magni 2 ?

The specs show a small percentage of additional power with slightly lower distortion levels. The difference might not be audible, or certainly might not be significant even if audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back