Need recommendations. displeased with AKG K712pro, DT770Pro, HD650 on the low end
Dec 11, 2020 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shoulon

100+ Head-Fier
So im a long time IEM user. im a massive fan of the original Sennheiser IE-80 for how great there low end is along with soundstage. I currently own a pair of FiiO FH7s and there also very awesome. (there literally upgrades to the IE80s)

But im now able to accommodate having open-back headphones. I'm a huge fan of powerful low bass and hard-hitting bass. (probably why I like IEMs since they can have multiple drivers)

Source:
Spotify, Apple Music, and MediaMonkey on windows with 512kbps lossless mp3s

DAC/AMP:
Shiit Magni & Modi 3

My currently tried pairs:

HD650 - very pleasing all around but still not enough on the low end. There pretty similar to the AKG712s imo, in just a bit warmer.

DT-770pro. (currently enjoying these the most.)

AKG k712pro - everything but the bass on this is phenomenal. If possible I would love this sound curve with more lows and powerful bass.

I have no idea where to go next. Should I try Planar magnets? I'm okay with $600ish range for the budget.
Thank you for any help!

Dec 13, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 7
Planars. Definitely planars. Audeze LCD-2C

Fostex TH900 are killer but they're very expensive. If you don't mind buying used and you don't mind a V signature look for a TR-X00.

Dec 13, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 7
The Denon AH-D5200 (tighter low end, more precise, and more forward mids than the Fostexs, but little bit leaner and more treble presence), Fostex TH610, or used Fostex TH-X00 (Purpleheart [max subbass and clean energetic treble] or Ebony [more balanced overall but little bit less lively sounding]) is where I'd start off.

Planars have absolutely weak subbass compare to biodyna dynamic driver headphones. Planars extend extremely well, but are flatter sounding with less subbass impact. If you want a nice visceral and low end and lively sound, biodyna driver is about as good as you'll get.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you for the recommendations.
Massdrop JUST did a drop with the Fostex TH-X00 too. I'll be keeping a lookout for em.

I threw an order for the Denon AH-D5200

In the meantime, I'll be saving to try out those TH-900 as well.

In regards to open-back headphones would I never achieve the bass I'm seeking? I was contemplating trying out the Sennheiser HD800s sometime in the near future. However, I don't think my Magni Heresy would be able to power them adequately. They even have a closed-back style. Very intriguing.

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 7
HD 800S is absolutely not a bass cannon and yes, to sound their best they need a good amp. The 820 is the closed back. They too, don't slam.

I think for the money, the LCD-2C is a best value in slam and is a really nice all-around pair of headphones that does everything well and nothing badly. It is much better-behaved than the TR/TH-X00. It is open. The Fostex are also semi-open in that they do leak. And I think it gives them a very open feeling and in some ways the best of both worlds.

I think the Denon was a good choice. BTW there is a mega-thread on basshead headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 7
You get the bass especially on open headphones with planars. I'd take the Ananda as these are very good headphones overall. I have the AH-D9200 and would not be surprised if the bass in the 5200 doesn't satisfy you.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 7
improve ypur audio sources too, mp3 and spotify + apple music all are lossy compressed audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back