Need recommendation for rugged IEMs
May 5, 2010 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tight_budget

Head-Fier
Hi, I've tried numerous brands of IEMs in the last ten years, and they rarely last more than a year before I lose sound in one side. Brands I've tried - Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Crossroads, Audiotechnica, and most recently a pair of Sennheiser sports buds. They lasted barely 8 months.

I really would like a rugged pair that can last 2 or more years, sound quality is not important as I mostly listen to audiobooks and podcasts. Comfort is number one criteria, followed by ruggedness.

Any advice?

May 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 12
I'd suggest Yuin earbuds. I'm not sure how you treat your gear but the Yuin's come with a case so as long as you keep them in the case when not using them and nothing is faulty, they should last you for until you feel the need to upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 12
I'm afraid I don't treat them very well. I don't use the cases, and sometimes they get tugged out of my ears when cables get snagged on objects. That was especially bad with the sennheiser sports buds. The wires were coated with some sort of material that had very high friction and would get stuck on everything.

May 5, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 12
I think you should start using the cases, it may seem like a tedious task taking them out and putting them back in before and after each listening session but it really is worth doing. As for the snagging issue I'm not sure with Yuin's come with clips but they should help with that issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tight_budget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of the shape of my ear, I can only use the in-ear type earbuds. The other type hurts after 15 minutes.

Do you mean that you want buds or IEM's?

May 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 12
No IEM's are just phones that are inserted into the ear canal. There are custom IEM's as you've mentioned, but also universal IEMs which just have different tips with a regular casing for the drivers. Earbuds aren't inserted into the ear canal. You should probably clear that up in you Title as well (Edit the title of you first post).

May 5, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 12
For earbuds, try the Yuins. I've been using a pair for the last few years for cycling. Last year I even bought replacements thinking the originals would be failing soon. The replacement are still in the bag.

For IEMS, I'm still impressed with the durability of my ETY4s.

May 6, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 12
Metro-Fi 220, JVC FX300, CX95 and PL50.....

May 6, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 12
I've had my Westone UM2s for over 5 years. Granted I'm not using them anymore since I upgraded to the Westone 3, they are still working as they should. I sold my neighbor a set of UM1s back in 2006 and she still takes them to the gym every day.

My wife wrote about our son forgetting his UM2 inside his pants' pocket and how they survived a full washing cycle here:

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/wenewum2bldu.html

At any rate, for your question, the Westone UM1, UM2 and UM3x are still made in the US. They come with a 1 year warranty out of the box plus 1 extra year when you submit the enclosed warranty card.

That would be my recommendation :wink:

May 6, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 12
er6i. they're short, so they sit far into the ear canal - especially great considering i wear a motorcycle helmet over them. i've used the same pair of er6i for 5 years and use them almost daily on a motorcycle.

May 6, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't treat them very well.

I suggest staying with the fairly cheap but good sounding buds/iems.  You can lose them, accidentally damage them and it won't hurt to replace them.  The Sennheiser cx300's not bad.  Traveled with them around Asia and didn't have to worry if they died on me since most shops will have them.  Fairly warm sounding with a very slight emphasis on the bass.  There's also the V-Moda Vibes.

May 29, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 12
Do you know how to wrap the cord correctly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tight_budget /img/forum/go_quote.gif  I've tried numerous brands of IEMs in the last ten years, and they rarely last more than a year before I lose sound in one side.

See:

Of course you are not going to lose it on both sides, because when one side goes you will stop using it any longer.  One thing is for sure, when you spend the money to get a good set, you will want to take the extra time to care for your stuff.  The problem with good warranties is, the products from the companies that offer good warranties seldom need them.  That is why they can offer them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back