Need recommendation for openback cans for Objective2 amp
May 9, 2018 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

scottosan

Head-Fier
1. I'm on a budget ~$200 or less
2. Prefer open back
3. Prefer higher impedance although open if anyone has experience with the objective2 and low impedance)
4. I listed to all sorts of music, female vocal, instrumentals, jazz, rock, etc..

Thanks,
Scott

May 9, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 10
I'll second the HD6xx from Massdrop/Sennheiser and say I like it better than either of the first two mentioned. The AKG/Massdrop 7xx was a big disappointment to me where the HD6xx delivered exactly what I expected from it.

May 9, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 10
I'll second the HD6xx from Massdrop/Sennheiser and say I like it better than either of the first two mentioned. The AKG/Massdrop 7xx was a big disappointment to me where the HD6xx delivered exactly what I expected from it.

I have not tried the AKG but why were you disappointed by them? I was thinking of getting the AKG in the future.

May 9, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 10
I have not tried the AKG but why were you disappointed by them? I was thinking of getting the AKG in the future.

The build quality is not what I'd hope for. Lots of plastic and just feels cheap and under built. I worry about the longevity of the AKG 7xx.

Sound wise, First off don't let the specs fool you - the 7xx needs an amp. Without one they will not be worth using. These are not a can to attach directly to a phone or DAP.
They have lots of bass but it is all from 60Hz up with sub-bass being lacking. Lower mids are muddy while upper mids and lower treble has a bit too much energy and can make vocals a bit unnatural.

May 9, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Something like the Beyer 990 Pro would be a good option too

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 10
HD540 Reference (I or II) 600 ohm or 300 ohm. HD560 Ovation (I or II) really depends on the condition and the pads used. Rare and hard to find. The 540 is somewhat dry, but otherwise more accurate than later 580,650, 800 series in my opinion. Outstanding quality for a 30 year old can.

HD580, 600, 650 , 58X - are all great. I love the HD650, and it is natural sounding but a bit rolled off on the top-end compared to the 540. 650 has a nice warmth presence and is infinitely listenable. Can't go wrong.

All of the headphones are great out an O2 on 2.5x gain. Depending on how you have your high gain configured you need to watch sending to hot of a signal (even if using it as a DAC from your computer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back