Need Recommendation for First Amp
May 14, 2006 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DickxLaurent

New Head-Fier
Not too long ago I purchased a pair of HD-580's. I knew I'd eventually need to add a stand-alone headphone amp to properly drive them, and I've now grown sick of the very restrained sound I get through my 10 year old Sony receiver. I also may purchase SR-125's at some point.

I'm looking to spend no more than $150. Where should I start? What is recommended from currently available amps? I have searched and browsed around the forum some, but also figure I should try asking directly. This amp will be fed by my PC, at least for the time being. I've read good reviews of the Little Dot II, and the price is right. But should I not start with a tube amp? I'm not yet personally familiar with the difference in sound between SS and tubes. I only know what I've read, mostly concerning "warmth" and accuracy.

Also, it would be a nice bonus if I could get an amp that could go between my PC and the stereo receiver. However, this feature will probably not make or break my decision. I assume this is what the RCA outs on some amps would allow, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

May 14, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Does it need to be portable?

May 14, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Does it need to be portable?

Not necessarily, but that may be an added plus also. I also have an iPod, KSC-35's, and a TURBOdock, but I'm mostly interested in driving the HD-580's. I realize that most amps around that price range may be portable anyway.

It would be nice to see options in both portable and non-portable. But honestly I'm more concerned with the quality of the sound, or getting the most bang for my buck.

May 15, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 5
First, yes, you're right about the headphone amps with outs- they're designed to pass through to a receiver, speaker amp, etc. They're pretty handy, and not terribly difficult to wire into a DIY amp.

I've built two <$150 DIY amps I've built that work well with Sennheisers. I listen to the HD-650. Those are the Dynalo and the Millett Hybrid. I'm sure others work well, too, but I am quite pleased with these. Both offer good sound, relatively easy construction and you'll learn a thing or two. Both are very well documented, too.

Also, give tubes a chance. Yes, they sound different, but there's a good reason why they're so popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back