Need Recable Help for my Ultrasone HFI-780
Mar 19, 2009 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MACDRU

Head-Fier
Hey guys, pretty new to diy community and was trying to find a good tutorial on re cabling my Ultrasones. Would love to duplicate the quality and construction of the ALO modded HFI-780s. Don't have the cash to buy them, but I do have a good soldering iron and 22awg Vampire wire I bought a few months ago. Haven't opened the headphones up yet. Looking for someone to point me in a good direction. Thanks in advance!
darthsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 16
dont the ultrasones have a removeable cable?? so you wouldnt have to open it up at all. just need to buy a threaded mini from qables or somewhere. of course if thie HFI780 doesnt have that then yeah. BTW I assume you are talking about 20AWG vampire?? that
'll be pretty stiff for a cable IMO. 20AWG vampire is considerably less flexible than 18AWG jena let alone 22AWG jena.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 16
It's not difficult to open up the headphones, but if you're trying to keep the wires within the headphones, it will be very difficult because the pivot points have a very small hole that even 2x26AWG wires (Mogami W2893) have difficulty passing through. I recommend having dual entry points (wires enter left/right cups), that way you will reduce removing screws and disassembling the headphones completely.

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 16
well that answers my question. would be nice if manufacturers kept to a standard. I hate single entry recables

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 16
No, it has removable cable and single entry removable cable is very handy. Unlike single entry non-removable cable.

OP - You'll need to get a threaded mini (as qusp said) and that's you sorted. OFC you'll need another mini,RCA or 1/8 for the other end to plug in your source/amp/computer/music player.

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 16
The HFI-780 does not have a removable cable IIRC.

General Headphone recabling:

You would need to decide dual or single entry.
Get some black heat shrink, solder, solder wick, flux, and a multimeter.
Personally, I like adhesive backed heat shrink to use as the first layer.

Open up the headphones by taking off the pads and unscrewing it. See the back of the driver where the two wires go?

Now "buzz" the cable to find out which piece corresponds to which channel on the plug. Mark this down somewhere or use a dry erase marker and mark the spot where the signal goes to, leaving ground blank. Marke the distance between the end of the wire and the entry. Now add on .25inches to that. Use this to give you the distance at which to start making the strain relief with the heat shrink. Pull the cable through the hole, all the way up to the strain relief. Then, secure the inside with a zip-tie or heat shrink ( I like adhesive heat shrink). Now solder the wires to the correct places on teh back of the driver. Test and then put everything back together.

You should always make the cable first FYI and then put it on. More consistant this way.

If you want Dual entry, get a power drill or dremel and make the hole yourself the same size and location as the other one.

Cheers and Best of Luck!

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate single entry recables

Same here, because you always need to go trough the manufacturers' cable to go from left, through the headband, to the right. That totally defeats the purpose of the recable..

Unless it's something like the HD25-1! That one is absolutely DIY-friendly
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 16
Thank for the suggestion Germania! I definitely am going the dual entry route. I just wasn't sure how to mod from single to dual entry. I heard there is some other circuit board that pertains to the s-logic technology that ALO removes in their mod? Not too sure the advantage of that.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 16
I think it's just some diodes on a PCB. I don't see anything useful, besides protecting from DC offset. Maybe the diodes used also burns out or limits current when it exceeds a certain voltage level.

May 17, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 16
Did you ever recable them? I'm curious how it went. And what wire did you use and how much did it cost. I want to do this same thing to my hfi-780's.

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 16
is it so much improvement that people are willing to recable? is the stock cable really that bad?

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 16
I'm going to send it for recabling using Canare L-4E6S and F-12 plug... Can anyone tell me how it compares to vampire wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back