Need Reassurance - Etymotic Research HF5 worth it for having enough Treble?
Feb 13, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
Quote:
My price budget is upto $150. My question is, is the Etymotic HF5 night and day difference over the Klipsch Image S4 in treble department?  My S4 sounded very "muddy" and "spongy". Where does HF5 stand? Is it far better? or a little better?  Please reply as I'm ready to make the purchase.

The HF5 is far better than the S4. The HF5 gives a pleasant sound compared to the piercing highs of the S4. 

OK THAT'S IT. I have placed an order on an Etymotic Research HF5 with Ruby. I thought it looks pretty...  Is this color for women only???  I'm a guy.

and yeah, the S4 gave me unpleasant highs, it did sound a bit piercing and kind of distorting. S4 = Junk product. No wonder BestBuy carrys them. This kind of product is for young kids (age 8~ 15) and people that don't appreciate in treble and detail of the music. It is also for those that just like bass... When I paid $85 for this thing I thought I was getting one of the finest high-end products.

Thank you.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #17 of 28
Lol why would you think that? Besides, when you actually get it and if you are wearing them properly, only like a tiny tiny part after the strain relief will be showing, so the colour imo don't really matter. I got blue and I am happy w/ it, but they are so small that sometimes all people notice is the wire, not colour. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
Lol why would you think that? Besides, when you actually get it and if you are wearing them properly, only like a tiny tiny part after the strain relief will be showing, so the colour imo don't really matter. I got blue and I am happy w/ it, but they are so small that sometimes all people notice is the wire, not colour. 

Thanks for your input. I think I'm gonna like this Ruby color a lot. It looks pretty. I will let ya guys know how this sounds when I receive them around Thursday of next week. hehe!

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #19 of 28
UPDATE: Got the Etymotic HF5 yesterday. I tried it. Listened to good 15 different songs. Most of them are pop and a few hip hop.

Sounds good. Much better than the Image S4 provided in the high range. I can definitely hear details in this area, and actually, I could hear more details in the low range too compare to the Image S4.

Was it crisp? Yes.  Was it ultra super duper crisp? no.  Was it crisp enough? yes...:D
Maybe it's the limitation of my iPod Touch 4g. I don't have a equalizer software installed on it, just using the basic "presets" that came with the device. I use Rock. iPod isn't exactly known for providing sound quality, right?

I have a big problem though. The ear buds that came with my HF5 is terrible. All of them are hurting my ear. I shoved them deep all the way to get the best sound but ended up hurting my ears. I am still having pain in my right ear. I think my ear drum got infected?? I need to go to hospital. :frowning2:  Help please. I need help on the ear buds. What's good that comforts my ears and provide good sound?  Ear buds that came with Image S4 was VERY comfortable and never hurt my ear canals..

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #20 of 28
You will be fine... your ears will adapt to them. They are one of the only true "canal" IEMs and they do take time to get used to. But they will be very comfortable after you do. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #21 of 28
re: tips for the HF5, try the Shure black foam ("Olives") -- see my avatar pic.  They are super comfy, maintain the HF5 isolation, and last a good long time if you gently clean the wax junk off them every couple of days.  They are a tight fit on the nozzle, but a little saliva on the nozzle helps them slip on.  The best thing about them is that they are quite easy to seat in your ear and keep perfect sonic balance.  I had trouble with the depth of insertion of the Ety 3-flange tips, that once they were in deep enough to sound right, one of them would get pinched and cut off the sound.  These Olives sit just inside my ear canal and keep a perfect sonic presentation.

Here's a link on Amazon for 5 pair of the small size, which fit snugly in my small ear canals.  Search in Amazon for EABKF1-10M or -10L for medium or large size.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Sleeves-EABKF1-10s-Small-E500PTH/dp/B0015PKGH6

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
I have a big problem though. The ear buds that came with my HF5 is terrible. All of them are hurting my ear. I shoved them deep all the way to get the best sound but ended up hurting my ears. I am still having pain in my right ear. I think my ear drum got infected?? I need to go to hospital. :frowning2:  Help please. I need help on the ear buds. What's good that comforts my ears and provide good sound?  Ear buds that came with Image S4 was VERY comfortable and never hurt my ear canals..

Better stay on the safe side and go to the hospital.

Cut the topmost (smallest) flange to get  a double flange eartips which I did, 

or get the  Klipsch Clear Ovals  (different from the S4's eartips)  as recommended by a user in this forum.

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
You will be fine... your ears will adapt to them. They are one of the only true "canal" IEMs and they do take time to get used to. But they will be very comfortable after you do. 

My right ear start to feel a little better.. once I recover from pain I will try again. Like you said it's something my ears may have to get used to... The pair that looks like boxing gloves (gray color) sound best to me.  If it continues to discomfort my ear canals I may have to try different ear buds the other member suggested.

So far I am liking this IEM a lot.  I feel it's worth the money I paid. Thanks again, rangerid.:)

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
Better stay on the safe side and go to the hospital.

Cut the topmost (smallest) flange to get  a double flange eartips which I did, 

or get the  Klipsch Clear Ovals  (different from the S4's eartips)  as recommended by a user in this forum.

It's not hurting to the point going to the hospital.. I think.

Can these eartips be ordered separately?  I never though they carry them.

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #25 of 28
The tips that came with your s4 might fit on the HF5's.  I know klispch ovals should fit.
You can also order some comply foam tips.  They're extremely comfortable and sound good too.
I wouldn't cut up the triple flanges.  They might end up becoming totally useless.  I know in my case I get most of my seal from the smallest flange, so without that they're just like tiny bi-flanges that just sit in your ears and don't seal.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #26 of 28

Quote:
The tips that came with your s4 might fit on the HF5's.  I know klispch ovals should fit.
You can also order some comply foam tips.  They're extremely comfortable and sound good too.
I wouldn't cut up the triple flanges.  They might end up becoming totally useless.  I know in my case I get most of my seal from the smallest flange, so without that they're just like tiny bi-flanges that just sit in your ears and don't seal.

Thanks for the info. I can't seem to like the triple flange tips.. I tried both sizes and when I push them in they seem to "poke" my ear drums (or whatever is called)?  I think that's how I hurt my ear the other day... and those don't seem sound good as the gray oval looking tips that came with the product.

rangerid, you are right, the one (gray round ear tips) that came with HF5 is getting more and more comfortable. My ears are not complaining. It seems my ears are adapting with them. And they sound good!!

Strange.... the more songs I listen to with my HF5 the more I like. I am discovering more quality sounds from them.  The Image S4 was the other way around. The more I listened to it the more I disliked.

Triple flange = Unapproved by goodolcheez
HF5 = Approved by goodolcheez

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #27 of 28
Glad to hear they are getting comfortable! Etys' sound sig has a way of growing onto the listener :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back