Need QUIETEST 80mm fan that pushes the MOST air!!
May 14, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #16 of 56
All right, pics would be great! If I can't find any easy way of getting the adapter to stay on the case, I might just break out the good old epoxy.

May 14, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #17 of 56
Silent PC Review's fan recommendations are definitely worth a look.

One more thing to consider: A major source of fan noise is not the fan itself but turbulence and air pressure, both of which are increased by having little room between the fan blades and the components being cooled. Take a running fan and hold your hand six inches from it; then hold your hand half an inch away, and there'll be a very noticeable noise increase.

This is probably a good part of your problem. That PP&C unit is built like a rock, but as a consequence it's also crowded inside. You might try a shroud of sorts that ducts air to the PSU's heatsinks and provides an inch or two of clearance between the fan and the interior components.

May 14, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #18 of 56
Glad I picked up the PCP&C Silencer instead of a Turbo-cool
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Silent PC Review's fan recommendations are definitely worth a look.

One more thing to consider: A major source of fan noise is not the fan itself but turbulence and air pressure, both of which are increased by having little room between the fan blades and the components being cooled. Take a running fan and hold your hand six inches from it; then hold your hand half an inch away, and there'll be a very noticeable noise increase.

This is probably a good part of your problem. That PP&C unit is built like a rock, but as a consequence it's also crowded inside. You might try a shroud of sorts that ducts air to the PSU's heatsinks and provides an inch or two of clearance between the fan and the interior components.

When I saw the 120 mm to 80 mm adapter plate, I was thinking that noise created from the turbulence might be a problem. The air will have to travel through the 80 mm opening at a faster rate, not to mention more resistance.

I discovered a grating in my computer was causing quite a bit of wooshing noise. I sawed it out and the noise went away. I don't know if this is popular anymore, but buying a computer case that supports two 80 mm fans in the front might be better than one 120 mm fan. Supposedly two Nexus 80 mm fans is quieter than a single 120 mm Nexus fan and the combined air flow is bigger.

May 14, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #21 of 56
Ok, now I am getting somewhere. My system used to have the following fans:

(3) Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D (8.7dBA each)

(1) Coolink SWiF 1202 (24 max dBA)

(1) AeroCool Aerolite BB (rated at 26dBA, but sounds louder)

(1) Zalman VF700-Cu video card cooler, fan set to the quiet setting (20.35 max dBA)

It will now have the following fans:

(3) Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D (8.7dBA each)

(1) Zalman VF700-Cu video card cooler, fan set to the quiet setting (20.35 max dBA)

(2) Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E (20.1dBA each)

Is that pretty good? Is there any way I can calculate the total noise from all these fans? I know you don't just add up each dB rating, and I also know that having two or more fans of equal dbA will be more than the original noise level.

May 14, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #22 of 56
You could find a logarithmic scale calculator online if you like, but there isn't much point. The manufacturer's fan ratings are all lies (lies, I tell you) and more importantly even assuming correct ratings the fans will produce very different noise levels when installed than they do under lab conditions. The good thing about fans is that they're cheap enough that you can keep experimenting.

May 14, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #24 of 56
Code:

Code:
[left]Name Code Qty Each Options -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nexus 80mm Real Silent 840556054054 1 11.95 Fan Grill = None Case Fan SP802512L-03 Fan Screws = None Subtotal 11.95 Shipping 5.80 Total 17.75 Name Code Qty Each Options ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sanyo Denki San Ace 80x15 109P0812M701 1 18.95 mm Scythe SFF21E 49 CFM SFF21E 2 14.95 Add Black Sleeving = No S-FLEX 120mm Quiet FAN by Sony Set of 4 Rubber Fan 4rubber1 8 1.00 Rivets 80mm Fan Filter FGP-80 1 2.95 92mm Fan Filter FGP-92 1 2.95 120mm Jumbo Fan Filter FGP-120 1 2.95 Subtotal 65.70 Shipping 4.60 Tax 0.00 Total 70.30 Name Code Qty Each Options ------------------------------------------------------------------- SVC 80mm to 120mm UV Blue FA8012-UVBLU 1 5.99 Fan Adapter Subtotal 5.99 Shipping 4.55 Total 10.54[/left]

May 14, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #28 of 56
I find the brushless Panaflo, which has had a very good reputation for many, many years has a high pitched whine (to my ears anyway). I have tried them a few times over the years and then replaced them with bearing fans very quickly.

Scythe make good fans (I have one 80mm on my CPU and a 120mm on my case).

As already mentioned a 120mm with an 80mm adapter will push more air at lower revolutions, and with a rheostat can be tweaked to your cooling and noise threasholds.

Themaltake fans do cool reasonably well, but sound like jet aircraft taking off.

May 14, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #29 of 56
I would recommend one or more of:
-build a low power computer to replace your current one
-get someone on SPCR to build a computer for you
-relocate your computer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back