Need QUIETEST 80mm fan that pushes the MOST air!!
May 13, 2007 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Headphoneus Supremus
I have all my other fans under control!! The loudest fan in my case is in the power supply! The power supply is a PCP&C Turbo-Cool 510 SLI.

It's stock fan was like a blow dryer and had tendency to produce scraping noises after a while, I had it replaced twice because of this, and it sounds like a blow dryer at 44dB. So I just replaced it with this fan:
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835129046

I shorted the LEDs on it because they are stupid, and this fan is nicer than the stock one. It is marginally quieter and does not make those nasty scraping noises.

But, it is still by far the loudest fan in my case and it detracts from the quality of digital music because of it's constant audible noise in the background. I just got my starter vinyl setup, and when I listen to it, the fact I can have my computer off and have no noise in the background alone makes for a much better listening experience.

So what I need is an 80mm fan with the following requirements:
-Pushes in the range of 30cfm of air
-Produces MAXIMUM 20dB of noise. Preferably less.
-80mm

Price is not a factor. Those three things are the only three variables that will decide what I purchase. I know newegg does not have the best selection of fans, especially if you are looking for silent ones.

Suggestions please. I know there are people here that have silent power-computers -- how do you do it?? Don't suggest watercooling either. No room, time, and the radiator still makes noise plus it has it's own set of fans.

May 13, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 56
Looked at both of their fans, they are only average. I read somewhere somebody got some kind of 80mm to 120mm fan adapter and had a 120mm fan sticking out of the PSU. I know that would be ugly, but my PC is under my desk and as long as it brings me silence, I'm happy. Anybody know how I would do this?

These are the best 80mm fans I've been able to find:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ak80amseulqu.html

May 13, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 56
I think your best bet for a 80mm fan is the Noctua fans. There's a review here for the 120mm version: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html . The 80mm and the 120 mm sound very similar. As you can see, these guys are about at anal with their silent PCs as we are with our sound. I have all noctua fans in my Lian Li case now and it's whisper quiet. You really have to concentrate to hear them.

May 13, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 56
i have a full wc loop (custom) and i use triple 120 yates and its fine. never trust the db nor cfm ratings, most are bogus/inaccurate. go to spcreview and check what they have there.

May 13, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 56
what ever you do, do not get thermal take.... their fan is not exactly quiet, and worst of all, it almost does not move any air around .... I can only feel the air flow if I put water on the tip of my finger.

May 13, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what ever you do, do not get thermal take.... their fan is not exactly quiet, and worst of all, it almost does not move any air around .... I can only feel the air flow if I put water on the tip of my finger.

Actually, I know Thermaltake gets at least some of their fans from Panaflo, which is a very good fan maker. I wouldn't count Thermaltake out.

To the OP, there are several things you can do to reduce fan noise:
Undervolt the fans
Place the fans more towards the center of the case and make ducts
Make it so that there is no direct line of sight from fan vents to the fan

May 13, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 56
Papst and Panaflo fans are both good. Really, you need to move away from 80mm fans though. Antec cases are a good example - you can easily silently cool them with 120mm and 92mm fans.

Check out Silent PC Review, they have lots of reviews of fans and a lot of knowledge on this kind of thing.

May 13, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looked at both of their fans, they are only average. I read somewhere somebody got some kind of 80mm to 120mm fan adapter and had a 120mm fan sticking out of the PSU. I know that would be ugly, but my PC is under my desk and as long as it brings me silence, I'm happy. Anybody know how I would do this?

These are the best 80mm fans I've been able to find:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ak80amseulqu.html

i have done this with a 120mm Panaflo. works very very well
smily_headphones1.gif
exact same psu

May 13, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 56
SWEET! I have ordered this adapter:
http://www.svc.com/fa80120-uvblu.html

Will it work? The turbo cool 510 requires a fan inside it's chassis for anything to be screwed on the outside, if I recall correctly. If that is the case, how did you secure anything to the outside? If I remember wrong, still how do you do it?

I am going to be using a Scythe S-Flex fan.

May 13, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 56
I have that one in my server that I run. Dead silent.

Problem: It only pushes 20cfm.

Fine for a low power server.

The stock fan in the Turbo-Cool 510 SLI pushes 52cfm. The power supply will shut off if it overheats, which is pretty much guaranteed if I stick a fan in there that pushes less than half the air of the stock one. PCP&C would not stick a blow dryer in there if they didn't have to, trust me.

May 13, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 56
i used threaded bars, screwed the 120mm adaptor to the case, then screwed the fan to the adaptor. got a cardboard adaptor plate with cloth coating (high tech) to act as a stop gap for the hole that remained. the fan i have is the 1225L Panaflo @ 12v. PSU loads @ 31*C exhaust temp with a 2GB, 1x Raptor X, Opteron 175 and X1900XTX
smily_headphones1.gif

Its a direct 12v feed, not the one off the existing fan header BTW. ill get u some pics
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 56
I am confused. What are threaded bars? And you screwed the adapter to the computer case, or the PSU case? What is the purpose of the cloth coated cardboard adapter plate? Can I have a link to one?

And for the parts that this question applies to, how long and/or what size do they need to be?

May 14, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 56
the threaded bar just holds the adaptor to the PSU case. the cardboard adaptor makes up the 4mm difference of the outside of the case to the outside of the PSU. my case is the thermaltake tai chi, and its thick aluminium. the cardboard makes the fan pull air through the psu, not from the back of the case. i will do you pics tommorow
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back