Need quick advice: PPX3 or SHA-1
Jun 18, 2007 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
I am trying to get a hold of a Melos SHA-1... an amp I have had my eye on for a very long time. Then, I stumble across a very good deal on a SP PPX3 6CG7. I dunno what to do. On the one hand, I really have wanted a Melos for a while, and it has everything I want. Downside is, it could get very pricey, as its hard to find. The PPX3 will save me ~$100-$150, which could then go to better tubes or something. Both amps seem to have the ability to be upgraded easily, the Melos can be maestrobated (anyone still doing this?), the PPX3 can be sent back to SP to be upgraded. One downside to the PPX3 is that I need more than one input. I would need to build some sort of switchbox, which I fear could degrade sound quality.

As far as syngery goes though, I have no idea which amp would be a better choice. Right now, I am using the Denon D2000 as my only cans, but a pair of Beyers are very likely in my future, and I may jump back on the Grado bandwagon with a pair of RS-1's also. Right now though, I have to focus on the Denon's, which appear to be driven similar to a Grado.

I have until tomorrow night to decide which I want to buy. I've heard a Singlepower amp, don't remember which, but it did sound good. Never heard a Melos. I am sort of going into this blind, and while I don't think I will regret my choice either way, I want to make sure I make the right one so I am not stuck wondering what might of been. The Melos is definitely the more desirable amp, but whether it sounds better, has more upgrade capabilities, or is worth the price... is unknown to me. Anyone else care to provide input?

Also, for the record, if I don't get the Melos tomorrow, I will for sure be getting the PPX3. I am just trying to decide if I should even pursue the Melos further, or just snatch up the PPX3 and call it a night.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 40
I do recalled that Head-fier Hirsh prefered a modded SHA-1 over his PPX-3 in stock configuration but the stock Melos didn't fare as well... maybe you can email him and pray he can reply to you within a day !

Personally, I would go with the Melos, you can always find a PPX-3 a lot more easier than a SHA-1, so you can sell it after if you don't like it. There's a kind of Melos frenzy right now, I saw like 3-4 units in 3-4 weeks and I bought one of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 40
There aren't that many PPX3 6CG7 on the FS forums either, I think if you can get a great deal you should snatch it up, it shouldn't be hard to off load it on the FS forum here if you aren't pleased with the sound.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do recalled that Head-fier Hirsh prefered a modded SHA-1 over his PPX-3 in stock configuration but the stock Melos didn't fare as well... maybe you can email him and pray he can reply to you within a day !

Personally, I would go with the Melos, you can always find a PPX-3 a lot more easier than a SHA-1, so you can sell it after if you don't like it. There's a kind of Melos frenzy right now, I saw like 3-4 units in 3-4 weeks and I bought one of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed. I got my modded SHA-1 for $550 refurbished on audiogon. Upgraded power supply, caps, and tubes.

I still have my PPX-3 collecting dust. Don't get me wrong the PPX is a terrific amp, but is a little euphonic compared to the Melos solidness, if that makes sense. The PPX slam might change that... I don't know.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 40
Personally I'd go for your first choice for a couple reasons. First if you're anything like myself even if you buy the PPX3 you'll always wonder if the Melos would have been the better buy and what it would sound like. I have made similar decisions in my audio quest and ended up spending more money in the long run.
Second, if you need to build a switchbox, you could easily spend the $150 on the switchbox that you would otherwise save by purchasing the PPX3.

Jun 18, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I'd go for your first choice for a couple reasons. First if you're anything like myself even if you buy the PPX3 you'll always wonder if the Melos would have been the better buy and what it would sound like. I have made similar decisions in my audio quest and ended up spending more money in the long run.
Second, if you need to build a switchbox, you could easily spend the $150 on the switchbox that you would otherwise save by purchasing the PPX3.

That is my biggest fear, that I am just going to wonder what might have been with the Melos. As far as inputs and a switchbox goes, I am not worried about it from a cost standpoint, it shouldn't cost me much. I am more worried about if it would degrade the sound.

My biggest argument for the Melos at this point, is simply that its what I wanted from the start. My argument for the PPX3 is that it is upgradeable and serviceable from singlepower. Being that Melos went belly up, any service or upgrade the amp needs would have to be done by a third party... and I don't know if there is anyone out there still working on them.

I think I will be happy either way, both amps should be a fair step up from my Millet Hybrid. I just don't know which one is the better choice.

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Great ! Welcome to the Melos owner's club !

I am excited to get it
smily_headphones1.gif
. Ironic though, that I sold off my Grado's to buy what is regarded as one of the best Grado amps. I may jump back into Grado's in time, but the comfort finally just got to me. The Denons drive similar to Grado's, so I am thinking this will be a good match for them. I have a meet coming up Saturday so hopefully I will have it by then. I will have lots of cans to sample on it.

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

I still didn't receive mine yet, it's driving me so crazy
mad.gif
! Yeah, you MUST have a pair of Grado's with a Melos !!!

There are going to be lots of Grado's at the meet, I will give them a fair shake and see how they sound, and if they are worth the comfort issues I have with them.

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

With what model did you have comfort issues ?

All of them :p. My first really good can was SR-225's, about a year ago, using bowls (and a brief forray with Headphile C-Pads). Then I moved up to MS-2i, and had bowls, flats, and comfies for those. Some days, I could take the comfort, other days not. At the most though, I couldn't get more than 2 hours out of them. Some days I couldn't wear them at all. They were absolutely wonderful sounding cans... I did not want to sell them, but the Denon really trumped them, and I didn't want to see them sit. I am going to give RS-1's a good listen Saturday and make a decision. Gunna give the HP1000 a shot too, just to see... but I won't ever be able to afford those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back