Need Portable Cans "Grado Style" for METAL
Dec 19, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfi0s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOTDAMN!!!! those EM9's are so cool!!! jeez..... now these are my favourite ones...... your review is pretty cool too surefoot. How would you compare the sound of this cans with the ES7's??? cause if its the same i will take them (the Es7's are compare to the Grados SR225, kinda).

I dont think we can compare them. The EM9d's are VERY small and will provide little isolation at all (especially when compared to closed cans), and indeed will not have such a powerful sound as the semi-full-size ES7. On the other hand their sound is VERY good for their size and if you can live with the fact you'll hear outside noises they are a must have. I picked them over the ES7 because of portability issues (i have to walk, take various means of transportations with them), i wouldnt use the ES7 in the same conditions. The EM9's fit in a small pocket and have a small carrying pouch. The ES7 definitely wont fit in a pocket...
Also remember they have that typical ATH lean and tight bass, if you are a bass head you will be disappointed (and that holds true for both cans). It's a sound you have to learn to appreciate...

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mthrsuperior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hate to throw you a curve Alf but I'm going to stand up for the Sennheiser HD280PRO.
$99. Great seal. They won't hear you and you won't need to turn up nearly as loud to block out bus noise. Your ears will thank you.
Wicked, tight, physical bass. Highs off the scale.
They're not super-pretty but they fold up real nice.
No problem driving them without an amp but even a basic Cmoy adds really nice depth.
The cord's a tad on the heavy side which annoys me a bit but it's a minor complaint.
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

oh and hey, I listen to plenty of metal
Mthrsuperior’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm

No offense but even though the HD280's fold they're not particularly portable, nor would I want to wear them out in public not to mention that they really don't sound very Grado like from my experience.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #48 of 65
I dunno El.... the 280s certainly have a Grado-like 'U' response curve and that "very far from relaxed" quality I remember from my 225s.
Grado-like and $139 dollars in the same post.... >< I tried. =D

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #49 of 65
Thanks mthrsuperior, rockbottom, Surefoot and elnero for the replies.
I think it comes down to the ES7's and the EM9d's.

ES7's:

Pros:
+Closed, no sound leak
+Isolation
+Sound like the Grado's
+Price $110 or less.

Cons:
- Size, not too portable.
- The headband may interfere with my growing mohawk, ha ha.

EM9d:

Pros:
+Size, now thats what i call portable.
+Looks

Cons:
-Isolation, poor. Having to raise the volumen to cover outside noise.
- Price. $130.
- Sound, might not be as close to the Grado's.

Well, thats all i can think of right now.

Dec 20, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #50 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mthrsuperior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno El.... the 280s certainly have a Grado-like 'U' response curve and that "very far from relaxed" quality I remember from my 225s.
Grado-like and $139 dollars in the same post.... >< I tried. =D

Response curves rarely tell the whole story and if you're referring to the actually one on Headroom for the HD280 I'm pretty sure it has some problems which I've talked to Tyll about in the past.

I guess out of the Senns I've personally heard it would be the closest to a Grado sound but I still don't think that they're particularly all that close. The Grado's I've heard have a nice punchy quality with full-bodied mids and highs that can be a bit unwieldy, other than the unwieldy highs the 280's have a somewhat dry midrange and lack the mid-bass punch of the Grado's, mind you I've never heard another headphone that can produce the really low frequencies quite like the 280's which is where my concern for the graphs on Headroom come in, they don't depict this at all.

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Response curves rarely tell the whole story

<snip>

*amen*

Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 280's have a somewhat dry midrange and lack the mid-bass punch of the Grado's, mind you I've never heard another headphone that can produce the really low frequencies quite like the 280's which is where my concern for the graphs on Headroom come in, they don't depict this at all.

this is spot on too.

I admit to being a bit of a fanboy for the 280pro given these can be had for about $80. I sometimes wonder if Sennheiser should double the price on these so they'd sell more. =P

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program.....
I think Alfie0s has rounded it down to two excellent choices.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #52 of 65
i listen to lots of metal, of the mreo extreme varieties (brutal death metal, grindcore and whatnot, bigfan of technichality as well). and im honestly surprised no one has mentioned the k81 after 6 pages....

now they definately dont have a grado sound sig, but neither do hd280s. Theyre solid as hell cans, low enough impedance to not need an amp, good punchy bass for all those wonderfull bass drums and tom rolls, and they isolate pretty well. personally, if you like a brighter sound sig id say take the pads out.

maybe people just didnt mention these cause of the low price(way under budget) but you should definately give them a listen, youmay just find yourself satisfied.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #53 of 65
I'm a big fan of the k81dj's myself. I've even gone and recabled them and they sound better to me. (veil removed, yadda yadda yadda). Although should you decide to amp them, they'll sound even better.

Not to threadjack, but this question also intrigues me. Grado's being as open as they are aren't really predisposed to the outdoors. The under 130 budget question is most certainly a valid one. But what about if budget wasn't a consideration? Just the sound... (curious because i've been eyeing a set of RS1's, but they aren't really practical for a computer lab of people using AutoCAD...)

Dec 20, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by xstephanx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen to lots of metal, of the mreo extreme varieties (brutal death metal, grindcore and whatnot, bigfan of technichality as well). and im honestly surprised no one has mentioned the k81 after 6 pages....

now they definately dont have a grado sound sig, but neither do hd280s. Theyre solid as hell cans, low enough impedance to not need an amp, good punchy bass for all those wonderfull bass drums and tom rolls, and they isolate pretty well. personally, if you like a brighter sound sig id say take the pads out.

maybe people just didnt mention these cause of the low price(way under budget) but you should definately give them a listen, youmay just find yourself satisfied.

Because the little bit slow and humped up mid- and upperbass invades midrange badly. Some of the most intense deathmetal ends up a muddy mess, drums covering the mainpart guitars under. Like listening the latest Hate Eternal, its not a disaster like with K26P, but not far either. Also midrange and highs are far from being biting enough to produce overdriven guitars correctly, kinda soft and rolled off.

Its not BAD headphone, hell I used to listen one extensively and still like them especially after some slight modding, but im sure there are better alternatives by now in same price category for same kind music.

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #55 of 65
AKG K81DJ's was in for a minute till Maza posted... haha.
Well, My options still are the Es7's and the EM9d.....
Thanks to xstephanx, ElChupahueso (the funniest nickname) and MaZa.

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Thanks to xstephanx, ElChupahueso (the funniest nickname) and MaZa.

*shrugs* It was a nickname a Mexican family I knew really well gave me one day over dinner. It was because we were joking about the Chupacabra and i was sucking the meat off a chicken leg, so they started calling me El Chupahueso. I liked it and kept it.
smily_headphones1.gif

And i'm off to get a second pair of k81dj's. So there. :p

Dec 20, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

the ultrasone and the rp-21 look good too ..... but, im not a technical guy at all, so the only thing im looking at is style in these cans, cause i dont know anything about sound.... if you guys have any references about this cans being close to the grados sound that would be awesome.
Thank you again and keep em coming!!!!

And also im very interested to know how the IGRADOS perform.... anybody has them??????????

I've the Igrado's and use them all the time at work. I also have the 325i's . They definetly have the grado sound. They sound terrific without an amp. They're relatively cheap. Only problem is they are open. If you're in a noisy environment, I don't think they'll be right for you

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #58 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by xstephanx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here, i listen to a lot of black metal, and other extreme stuff... What pleased me with the Audio Technica sound is the totally clear, and fast bass.
The double bass attacks sound very neat, they are very well defined, and certainly not over bloated (which would lead to "sound puree" disaster). So yeah, no visceral bass impact here, i leave that to live performances.. But every instrument, every note is here and well defined, without having to pump the volume. The ATH sound signature ends up putting emphasis on lead guitars, which is perfect. Now that i have discovered those cans i dont feel the need to try anything else... (well my bank account doesnt want either !)

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupahueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to threadjack, but this question also intrigues me. Grado's being as open as they are aren't really predisposed to the outdoors. The under 130 budget question is most certainly a valid one. But what about if budget wasn't a consideration? Just the sound... (curious because i've been eyeing a set of RS1's, but they aren't really practical for a computer lab of people using AutoCAD...)

OK, so the OP has decided. But what about ElChupahueso's question. If price isn't [too much of] an issue, what're the most Grado-like closed portable cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back