Need Portable Cans "Grado Style" for METAL
Dec 18, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-ES7 is an excellent rock performer, great details, punchy bass, clear highs, and amazingly spacious for a closed of such a small caliber soundstage.

I been reading some posts that mentioned that the ES7 is good, soundwise, but its uncomfortable......
Thanks for the reply.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #32 of 65
I think for a lot of supraaural cans, you will find that comfort can vary greatly from person to person. I don't think there are very many (if any) closed supraaural cans which are considered to be universally comfortable for everyone. Considering for the most part they tend to clamp more to begin with.

You can never truly be certain if they will be comfortable until you try them out for yourself. This includes giving them a chance with some break-in, and perhaps some stretching. Just because one person finds them uncomfortable, doesn't necessarily mean you will too, and vice-versa.

Anyways ... I have ES7's and I find that comfort-wise they are about the same as my MS-1's, maybe a bit less so ... since they clamp more - hence more pressure on the ears. For me after 2-3 hours of listening with either pair I tend to want to take em' off my ears.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfi0s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I been reading some posts that mentioned that the ES7 is good, soundwise, but its uncomfortable......
Thanks for the reply.

Not the last word in the comfort, but after some headband unbending they are much more bearable than MS2i. One day I should get ESW9 pads for them.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #34 of 65
About the RP-21, they may fit for your situation, I used them as my portable cans, they fold nicely to your backpack and they are pretty durable. They are also closed, and they isolate nicely. SQ wise RP-21 will probably work for you, after removing the foam pads (easiest mod ever), they have bright highs and good bass. They actually sound much like MS-1 after mod, but the bass is way better. But biggest problem for me was that they are ugly..
And yes , they are cheap, I paid for new pair 75$ with s&h.

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #35 of 65
Discomfort with the ATH-ES7's is something I have not had a problem with. I did the headband mod which is simple to do, and am able to wear mine on an average of 6 to 7 hours a day. They are sweet sounding cans, don't require amplification, and are hard to beat on looks.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #36 of 65
OK fellas, im sold the ATH-ES7 it is!!!!im gonna buy em and ill tell you what i think.
Ronnielee54, whats the headband mod you're talkin about? the unbending??
Thanks to Zero_99, Andrew_WOT, uppis and ronnie for the replies!!!!!!

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #37 of 65
The PortaPro is comfortable, sounds awesome, folds, is inexpensive and comes with a lifetime warranty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #38 of 65
hey, i two second, the RP-21's...

i listen to Technical Death metal/Jazz Metal and these cans handle the punchy bass needed for the bass drums....

and its a closed set so it doesn't leak

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #39 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by corpse_linguini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, i two second, the RP-21's...

i listen to Technical Death metal/Jazz Metal and these cans handle the punchy bass needed for the bass drums....

and its a closed set so it doesn't leak

If it wasnt that they're ugly as hell i will consider them.... the price is what a really want, even though my budget is 130 (which is the exact price for the ES7's). And also some people said that the RP-21's will be ok with what im looking for, a "closed-and-portable" version of the SR225's.

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfi0s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it wasnt that they're ugly as hell i will consider them.... the price is what a really want, even though my budget is 130 (which is the exact price for the ES7's). And also some people said that the RP-21's will be ok with what im looking for, a "closed-and-portable" version of the SR225's.

More like a $100 actually
Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-ES7 BK Closed-Back Portable Headphones: Electronics
and the headband mod you asked
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ath...dshots-228313/

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #41 of 65
For $130 you can try the ATH EM9d: read my review in the thread i just made in this forum. I am a metal head too, and i can tell i love their sound ! And you cannot beat that portability (small clip-ons).

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #42 of 65
Ultrasone iCans?

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surefoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $130 you can try the ATH EM9d: read my review in the thread i just made in this forum. I am a metal head too, and i can tell i love their sound ! And you cannot beat that portability (small clip-ons).

HOTDAMN!!!! those EM9's are so cool!!! jeez..... now these are my favourite ones...... your review is pretty cool too surefoot. How would you compare the sound of this cans with the ES7's??? cause if its the same i will take them (the Es7's are compare to the Grados SR225, kinda).

The Ultrasone iCans look pretty awesome too!.
Thanks to everyone for the replies. And also to Andrew_WOT for the price research and the mod guide.

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #44 of 65
Hate to throw you a curve Alf but I'm going to stand up for the Sennheiser HD280PRO.
$99. Great seal. They won't hear you and you won't need to turn up nearly as loud to block out bus noise. Your ears will thank you.
Wicked, tight, physical bass. Highs off the scale.
They're not super-pretty but they fold up real nice.
No problem driving them without an amp but even a basic Cmoy adds really nice depth.
The cord's a tad on the heavy side which annoys me a bit but it's a minor complaint.
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

oh and hey, I listen to plenty of metal
Mthrsuperior’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #45 of 65
The ES7 seems a little scratch-prone for portable use though, doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back