need overpowering bass headphones
Feb 12, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #31 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewCents05
ok so a500 will have a sufficient amount of bass? do i need a amp to power this or will it be able to run off my mp3 player?

Definetly don't need an amp (I believe they benefit the least from an amp due to how easily they can be driven).

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #32 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
That's a real nice website, Carl (A900s for less than $130!!), but they don't seem to have the A500s listed.

Just email them if you want something in particular. In this particular case an A700 might be managable within the guy's pricerange.

Quote:

ok so a500 will have a sufficient amount of bass? do i need a amp to power this or will it be able to run off my mp3 player?

Audio Technica make low impedence headphones, so they don't need an amp. They're bassy, but you're not going to get anything skull-crackinglky so for under $100.

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #33 of 90
I just remembered about the Skullcandy Crushers:

They aren't supposed to be the most impressive sonically, but I'd bet they'd have the greatest bass impact in your price range (Note: I'm not talking about accurate bass with multiple-tones and all that stuff, just flat out vibrating bass).

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #34 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Probably not getting a good seal with them, that'll kill the bass for sure

I beg to differ. They seal remarkably well, even on my big ears. Bass monsters, honestly.

The A500 will work for you, I guess, but they're not "made for bass" in the sense that you're seeking. However, hopefully they'll introduce you a bit to the other areas of sound, which are even more important for getting a good listen.

BOOOOM BOOOM BOOOOM BOOOM BOOOOOOM BOOM BOOOOM BOOM

Feb 12, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #35 of 90
Quote:

i want heaphones that can produce alot of bass. i used to have yommo's vibrating headphones then it broke and i switch to skullcandys skullcrushers which absolutly sucked. im back to my small sony w.ear which i realized if i set the eq with bass and bass boost all the way up it produces an effecient amount of bass. what im looking for mainly is really deep sq bass but that will basically create a nice bass vibrating effect. the sony w.ear headphones have a suprisingly good amount of bass but i still thirst for more. if there is a good pair of headphones that can produce a whole lot of bass for under 100 dollars please tell me.

Hi there,

Try Sennheiser HD485
eggosmile.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #36 of 90
I recently tried my Future Sonics EM3 IEM’s on the PA2v2, the bass nearly popped my eyes out of their sockets – I think a couple of my teeth also shattered :p

However, they were returned to the back of the draw after twenty minutes or so – My ears do not get on with IEM’s.

Feb 12, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #37 of 90
To the people saying the Sony V6/7506 is a complete basshead phone, have you owned or even tried it???

I have to completely disagree. It's bass is pretty balanced, extending very low with only a slight midbass hump. My Grado SR60's have more midbass than the V6. Even my Koss KSC35's are boomier.

I have no idea wth you guys are talking about the Sony V6 being "a basshead" product, and has "built in mega bass"....What.

Feb 12, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #38 of 90
You're simply not going to find what you want in headphones, regardless of the price. In my experience, every single headphone producing "overpowering" bass (at default, non-boosted EQ settings) is going to suck very badly in other areas (like no mids or highs at all whatsoever, or uneven nasal grainy wooly honky mids and/or highs). And even with all that bloat, there is very little (if any) real low-end extension out of those "bassy" headphones (or put it this way, they just don't go down all that low).

And I had the Sony w.ear's before. They absolutely sucked, even in the bass - and their highs are just plain screechy.

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #40 of 90
I just found an old post discussing the Sony V6 that I think describes the bass better than I can...not a basshead can!!!

on 11-15-02 head-fier Mike Walker posted"

Quote:

Many 'phones have "more" bass than the MDR-V6!!! The strength of the V6 isn't that they have "more" bass, which one can get simply by using equalization (if that's your cup of tea). The V6 excels in bass EXTENSION. And the V6 (as can be proven with tones generated in a program such as Cool Edit) goes from a half-octave to a full octave, or more deeper than the vast majority of headphones.

MOST headphones roll-off steeply below 40hz, or even 50hz. The MDR-V6 simply does not!

Want "more bass", make 'phones with a "hump" in their response in the 80-200hz region, such as the MDR-V600 and too many others to mention. But this kind of bass hump actually clouds your ability to hear what's going on in the REAL "bass"-ment. REAL bass lives in the octave below 40hz...the range where most 'phones are d.o.a.!

The MDR-V6 is definitely not a "dumb-bass" headphone. Almost every headphone I own has "more" bass. NONE have BETTER bass!

Feb 12, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #41 of 90
the only headphones I have had which actually really bass is my K1000. especially now that they are recabled they do sound kind of like my car which has an SQ setup with 2 eclipse 12" running off of my amazing Precision Power 800.5 amp. Too bad they are just a wee bit out of your range.
The A500 is the best headphone around 100.

You simply will not find truely bassy headphones like your car sorry. unless you try what the OBVIOUS choice is

Super.Fi 5 EB

Feb 12, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #43 of 90
DT770 and PA2V2 was the bassiest rig I owned. it got old fast though and I ended up trading the DT770 for a recabled HD580.

If youre on a tighter budget get a portapro. Does't extend as deep as the DT770 but its got some serious slam, and the mids / highs are smooth so you can turn it up real loud.

Garrett

Feb 12, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #44 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
What about the A500s for $99? They don't require an amp at all and have enough bass to vibrate your ears and rattle. They seem to be widely regarded as having a lot of bass.

Seconded. Senn HD 485 is another option.

And Koss Portapro too, for something cheaper - they're gonna kick the ass of any Sony clipons.

Feb 12, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #45 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravitas
Also consider the AKG K26P. Accurate/punchy bass, low impedance, and under $50.

I'm surprised it took this long in the thread for someone to suggest these. They have EXCELLENT(ly powerful) bass for a bargain price. The overall sound is not going to compete with a $150 headphone, but the bass is very prominent and reasonably tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back