need overpowering bass headphones
Feb 12, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #16 of 90
What about the A500s for $99? They don't require an amp at all and have enough bass to vibrate your ears and rattle. They seem to be widely regarded as having a lot of bass.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #17 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewCents05
yea you guys are just recommending stuff not really in my price range so i dunno

those koss ones def wont make more bass than the sony clip ons i have now.

edit: and the only reason im "wazzing" up in bass on my eq is cause my headphones kinda suck without it...
i probably will turn up the bass but not the bass boost cause it just distorts it

Well you don't know that they won't have more bass than your Sonys. They're WAY higher quality than any Sony in that pricerange.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #18 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
If you get the 770s, at least you'll be sorted for quite a while. Get anything cheaper and you just get bass flab, rather than the sort of bass that you'll enjoy listening to.

How do you know he isn't looking for what we call "bass flab"?

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #19 of 90
so r u saying those will be better than 100 dollar headphones? im looking for the best bass headphones for 100 bucks i thought people here would know a bunch of them. and spare me if your gonna tell me that not many people here buy headphones under 100 dollars. best i could find those dt770 were 150 on ebay so i dont wanna pay for that.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #20 of 90
Ok, if you can live with open cans and maybe a little discomfort I think a set of Grado SR 60's are in your future... BEHOLD!

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-he...rado-sr-60.php

These should satisfy your bass craving with a little EQ, not distort unless you really pound them and last a long while, and they cost under a ton. Well regarded around here and may even help to cure you of this odd bass affliction.
icon10.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #21 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Ok, if you can live with open cans and maybe a little discomfort I think a set of Grado SR 60's are in your future... BEHOLD!

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-he...rado-sr-60.php

These should satisfy your bass craving with a little EQ, not distort unless you really pound them and last a long while, and they cost under a ton. Well regarded around here and may even help to cure you of this odd bass affliction.
icon10.gif

that looks decent dont kno how it sounds tho.

lol odd affliction. i have 2 12s in my car and i will just sit in my damn car for hours listening to music cause of the bass. im a bass junkie soooo for each their own.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #22 of 90
I have the SR-80s (Very similar to the SR-60s) and I find that they are VERY bass-lacking compared to the $99 A500s. I had to tape mod the bowl pads (The bowl pads are known to have just a little less emphasis on bass) to get actual impactful bass from it (Before the mod, the bass seemed nearly nonexistent, just like it's very condensed soundstage). However, even after the mod, the bass is nowhere near as good as the bass on the A500s, which people describe as "muddy and bloated." I'm guessing the reason for this description is that those people prefer headphones with ACCURATE bass (Grados, I'd assume); it seems bloated headphones seemed to have the ear-vibrating, headphone-rattling kind of bass that punches you in the face. The A500s are also VERY comfortable headphones (They are circumaural, meaning they go around your ear instead of on top of them, like Grados); switching between my A500s and SR-80s is like a night and day difference in terms of comfort (Though I have bowl pads, which are known to be the most uncomfortable pads; but I think the comfort factor still applies).

EDIT: It sounds like you are a REAL bass-head, considering you listen to music in your car solely for the bass. In that case, I HIGHLY recommend that you don't get the SR-60s. I'd consider myself a moderate bass-head and I was very disappointed to find that the SR-80s lacked impactful bass.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #23 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
What about the A500s for $99? They don't require an amp at all and have enough bass to vibrate your ears and rattle. They seem to be widely regarded as having a lot of bass.

Actually, that's a damn good idea. The A500s would be perfect.

I recommend these, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
How do you know he isn't looking for what we call "bass flab"?

Quite possibly.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #24 of 90
yea well what are the a500s like what brand so i can look it up. im not really up to date with all these headphones otherwise i wouldnt be asking you guys. and What is bass flab

what about the AKG K301 are those any good?

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #25 of 90
A500s are the audio-technica ATH-A500s. You can buy them from audiocubes:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Au...eadphones.html

I'm not sure what's up with the review that gave the A500s 2 stars for not having any impactful bass. The A500s excell in 3 aspects:
1. Comfort
2. Wide soundstage
3. Bloated bass

So, I don't know what the guy's deal is. Maybe he came from DT770s or PS-1s?
basshead.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #26 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewCents05
yea well what are the a500s like what brand so i can look it up. im not really up to date with all these headphones otherwise i wouldnt be asking you guys. and What is bass flab

what about the AKG K301 are those any good?

Bass flab is the boomy, one-note emphasized bass that you're looking for. The HD-212 are around $60 and have a huge bass emphasis, but will still have respectable sound quality for the price in other regions too. Check 'em out, they're for bassheads on a budget.

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...hd-212-pro.php

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #28 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
A500s are the audio-technica ATH-A500s. You can buy them from audiocubes:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Au...eadphones.html

I'm not sure what's up with the review that gave the A500s 2 stars for not having any impactful bass. The A500s excell in 3 aspects:
1. Comfort
2. Wide soundstage
3. Bloated bass

So, I don't know what the guy's deal is. Maybe he came from DT770s or PS-1s?
basshead.gif

You might be able to get the A500s for less from www.pricejapan.com

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #29 of 90
That's a real nice website, Carl (A900s for less than $130!!), but they don't seem to have the A500s listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back