Need Open Headphones that will beat Sennheiser HD380 out of the water. Budget $700+
Dec 3, 2013 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Pianist718

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys...

So after loving the sound I get from Sennheiser HD 380, I realized that I am not going to go through the trouble of using full size headphones on the train. Just not worth the extra hassle. I'll stick with my in ear Bose headphones.

Now .... since I now plan to use headphones strictly at home, I have no problem of using an Open set instead of the closed ones AND I can add a small amp to power up those 200, 300 Ohm headphones.

Question is ........ I really like the sound of Closed Sennheiser HD 380. But, now that I can get Open headphones with an amp ... what set do you recommend that will blow my Sennheiser 380 out of the water? For $130 they sound great... but now I can spend $700+

any feedback is much appreciated.

Budget for headphone + amp is around $700. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 7
I have both the HD650 and HD380. I also really really enjoy the sound signature of the latter. My question to you is why do you feel the need to get new headphones if you already enjoy the 380's?

Being a man, I know the answer to that question--an inherent need to acquire and the "spend it if you got it" mentality. So, having said that, I'd recommend the 650's whole heartedly. Same controlled full bass of the 380's, but much much better mids, physical comfort, and bling factor.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 7
I have both the HD650 and HD380. I also really really enjoy the sound signature of the latter. My question to you is why do you feel the need to get new headphones if you already enjoy the 380's?

Being a man, I know the answer to that question--an inherent need to acquire and the "spend it if you got it" mentality. So, having said that, I'd recommend the 650's whole heartedly. Same controlled full bass of the 380's, but much much better mids, physical comfort, and bling factor.

Reason why is ... I initially started my search with HD598 but before buying it I learned that since those are Open headphones they are not a good option for public use (on the train etc). That's why I only tested CLOSED headphones and really, really liked HD380.

Now that I decided that I'll only use headphones at home, and since I always hear that Open headphones just sound better especially with an amp, I am thinking ... maybe there is an Open headphones set that will sound much much better than HD380. 

Do you want to stay with Sennheiser since you like their sound? Not all Senn's have the same sound signature.

What do you want from treble, mids, and bass?

I am open to any brand. I tested Beyerdynamics 770, Soundmagic, KEF and Sennheiser 380. Beyerdynamics took 2nd place. The thing is ... all opf those headphones were in the 30-50Oms range. Now that I decided to use them at home, I can easily go up to 200 Ohms with an amp and get that extra sound benefit, right?

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 7
you won't like the bass of the hd598. the hd650 has decent bass but they're a dark sounding headphone. If i were spending $700+ I'd get the jvc dx700 or denon d2000, both are closed cans. If you can spend a little more than 700, you should seriously consider hifiman he500+amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back