Need Open headphones or IEMS!!
Aug 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dgiant

100+ Head-Fier
hi, i recently decided that i need a new pair of cans. However, i cannot decide what to get. I listen to  a wide range of music so i need  headphone that is good all around. My current headphones that im using is the Denon ahd 5000 and the Shure Se215. I love the bassyness of these cans but however i beleive that i need a  change. What im looking at right now are the Grado 325i, Grado Rs2i and the Heir audio 4.ai and 3.ai. I really want a headphone that will run well without a amp because i will be carrying these new ones around. The bleed in sound is not a issue FYI. Also it would be great to keep the price under 500. Thank you in advance

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 14
You need to post on the Portable IEM section of the forum to get folks who best know those items.

With regard to the Grados, I'm not sure what you mean with regard to how you be using these new can by "carrying them around".  Generally speaking the Grado woodies are probably too delicate for this type of use.  In addition both the the Grados you mentioned have a long, thick cord/cable.  Is that OK?

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 14
In that case I highly recommend the RS2i (which can be had at a discount from Amazon and elsewhere once in a while) and an affordable protective case like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251046351691&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Ok thanks, so the Rs2i is alot better than the 325i and worth the price bump?

I think so--at least when I was able to get it at a $100 off.  However, it will depend on what you want and your budget.  In fact I would select the Alessandro MS2 (which is based on the 325is) over the 325is because the Alessandro tames the highs a bit.  This is especially true if you are not using a tube or hyrid amp--which understand is your situation.

Placed at the top of the SR line, the 325/MS2 is a transition can from the SR line to RS line.  The SR line gives you that classic Grado wall of sound.  The 325/MS adds build quality, better cable, clarity, separation, bass and little sound stage that its less expensive SR siblings lack.  The RS2i is a different animal in many ways.  The wall of sound is gone, replaced by greater clarity, separation and sound stage, plus more bass and great range in general.  It pulls apart the music and allows you to pick out each individual musical voice--at the cost of the SR slam/in your face sound.

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 14
Also however I'm starting to think that buying a expensive can will make me worry too much about damaging it during travel. For that reason what do you guys think will be the best for UNDER 200. The audio technica ath ad 700 looks promising and so does the superlux

Users who are viewing this thread

Back