Need one last can to complete collection
Sep 12, 2005 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dag655321

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks to my awesome new job, my can collection has just exploded. My desk is now cluttered with a very nice collection of what I would consider mid to upper mid priced cans. I have at my disposal:

Grado SR-225s and SR-60s, with bowls, comfies and reverse modded HD-414 pads
Sennheiser HD 595s and HD 485. A pair of Senn HD-280s are pending.
Beyerdymanic DT 250/250s
AKG K 240 Monitors and K 240 DFs (diffuse field)
Sony MDR-V700DJ

There is also a pair of Qualia 010s floating around, but no one (including me) seems to like them.

But I still feel like I need one more closed can to complete the set. I am leaning towards the ATH-A500, but I might go up to the A900. Specifically I am looking for one more closed can with excellent comformt and a nice warm sound. I listen to mostly rock music and my current favorite cans are the SR-225 with comfies and DT 250/250s. I guess I am looking for something to complement those cans, when my ears can't take the discomfort of either of those pairs (The Grado's are supra-aural, and the DT 250s are a little tight on my head).

Any suggestion (or warnings) would be appreciated. Is there something esle in the 1-2 hundred dollar range that I should be considering? Maybe the AKG K271s. I tried the DT770/80 and did not like them, so unless the new 770s are a big improvement, they are out of the question.

Anyone know how close the K271s are to the K 240s?

Sep 12, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 10
Sell them all and get something really nice (ATH-AD2000/L3000?)
tongue.gif

If you're not up for that adventure, then I would recommend you track down a good used AKG K340 for $150-$200. It's an old (15-25 years!) closed circumaural headphone, and IMO it's in a higher class than all those headphones you listed save the Qualias (not that I've heard them all, but I've owned: k271s, hd600, hd650, sr225). The k271s cannot not compete with the k340 at all, except in isolation where it's superior. I was almost without a k340 after my last selling binge, but fortunately realized the error of my ways before all was lost
biggrin.gif

One warning - they do vary a lot in terms of frequency balance from unit to unit (I've had 4 pairs cross my hands
eek.gif
), so it can be hard to find a well balanced pair.

Sep 12, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Spread yourself out a little and get some IEM's
etysmile.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 10
May I suggest selling few of your current headphones and buying a nice used W100? A900 is a good pair of phones, but it is not really warm. I think W100 would be better for your close phone collection if you can locate a mint used pair for sale. Frankly, why buy HD280 when you can source that $$ into a better sounding higher quality cans?

Sep 12, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 10
If you like the Grado 225, you can forget about the A900. The A900 is at best at about the k240 level, and loses out to the 225 in everything except soundstage, and IMO is an overpriced overhyped FOTM headphone. Looking pretty is about all it does well. I'd also advise against the W100 as it also shares some of the A900's flaws, they both mess up acoustic guitar and violin.

mulveling is correct, find yourself a K340 and be happy. I've heard most of the headphones he has and I agree with his assessment. It's not as good as the top tier 'phones (Omega II, PS-1 Pro) but it thoroughly trounces the HD6x0, k271, and Grado SR series.

Sep 12, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Just like everyone else has said, I would advise selling all your cans, and ending up with 1 closed can, 1 open can, and 1 canalphone.

As far as needing 1 more closed can goes, why don't you wait for your HD280s to arrive and see if you like them? The A900 got bashed alot as a FOTM on the "underwhelmed cans" thread a long time ago, and the HD280s seem to have the most isolation out of all closed cans out there.

Sep 12, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 10
I appreciate the advice, but perhaps I should clarify a bit. Most of the headphones were given to me and I feel it would be inapproriate to turn around and sell them to buy something else. The AKGs belong to someone else, but are on indefinite loan. The Sennheisers and the SR-225 were given to me and I can not sell them. The SR-60s and DT250/250s are mine, but I really like both of them, and will be keeping them. I have also managed to find a pair of PortaPros, Senn PX-100 and PX-200 and a bunch of smaller Sony cans. I was trying to buy a used pair of HD-280s, because I remebered liking them the last time I was in Guitar Center. If those fall through I am not sure what I will do. I have a pair of Ety ER-6s, and I am considering the ER-6is. I don't want to invest in expensive IEMs because I only use them in the gym, and I am not very careful with them. Spending $200+ for ER-4s or E5c would keep them out of the gym and they are not much use to me at work (since they take so long to put in/take out). Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I also have a pair of AKG K26 Ps on order.

And if you must know, I am not made of money, I just don't like the money I have.

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dag655321
I appreciate the advice, but perhaps I should clarify a bit. Most of the headphones were given to me and I feel it would be inapproriate to turn around and sell them to buy something else. The AKGs belong to someone else, but are on indefinite loan. The Sennheisers and the SR-225 were given to me and I can not sell them. The SR-60s and DT250/250s are mine, but I really like both of them, and will be keeping them. I have also managed to find a pair of PortaPros, Senn PX-100 and PX-200 and a bunch of smaller Sony cans. I was trying to buy a used pair of HD-280s, because I remebered liking them the last time I was in Guitar Center. If those fall through I am not sure what I will do. I have a pair of Ety ER-6s, and I am considering the ER-6is. I don't want to invest in expensive IEMs because I only use them in the gym, and I am not very careful with them. Spending $200+ for ER-4s or E5c would keep them out of the gym and they are not much use to me at work (since they take so long to put in/take out). Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I also have a pair of AKG K26 Ps on order.

And if you must know, I am not made of money, I just don't like the money I have.

How do you you like te 485's. Just been reading around and it seems they my be to my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back