Need of an amplifier?
Mar 8, 2008 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dakkar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, first, I'd like to say you guys are turning me into an audiophiles. Well, at least a more "critical" listener!

OK, my setup is as follow. I have both a pair of UE 3 for gym, noisy places and a pair of Grado SR-60. I do most of my listening off of my Samsung T-10 MP3 player. Would my sound quality really benefit from adding an amplifier to my setup? Most of the songs/podcast I listen to are at 128kbs MP3.I've done an experiment, using my computer. I have an M-Audio Revo 7.1 hooked to an old Technics SA-120 amplifer. If I connect the SR-60 to it, the sound seems to be richer, more detailed. Not sure if it's the quality of the signal or just the eq.

For the UM3, I don't think the amplifier would be a huge benefit, since when I use them, the volume never goes over 5 (usually 2 or 3). Would adding an amplifier just make the volume too loud for IEM setup?

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 7
An amp will probably yield an improvement to your ears for the Grado's but probably not for the UE IEMs. Often an amp will help eliminate hiss using IEMs with DAPs (if present) but they really don't need the extra power imo. Using a line out with my iPod into a portable amp does increase SQ in general for IEM listening (ER4P) but not by a huge amount.

With an amp added to your Samsung DAP you might hear stronger/more controlled bass with the Grado's, especially with bass heavy music. Even though I'm assuming that your DAP has no line out(just a headphone out), you will still hear improvements I think. I use the Grado 325i and they sound nice with any of my DAPs but if I add my Pico portable amp there is a fairly obvious improvement.

When using a portable amp with IEM's it must have a low gain option which most have, otherwise there will be very little range on the volume knob which is a very bad thing.

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks! I'm thinking about learning how to use the soldering iron, or convince a skilled friend! This seems like a nice project in any case.

Yes, I do find that there is a hiss in the IEM, especially noticeable when no music is playing. I guess the impedance is too low and it does not eliminate the static.

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, I received all the parts for the Cmoy from JDS Labs. I must say it looks like it will be interesting to put together...

I also wanted to comment on my experience in dealing with John from JDS Labs. He was extremely helpful and I would recommand him to anyone interested in buying a Cmoy kit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 7
Remember to post a picture of the finished cMoy on the DIY forum. We LOVE picture
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 7
The OPA2227P

He gave me all the parts except the DC connector (upon my request) and the bass knob (didn't like the switch, I'll get my own) for 32$ including shipping to Canada. I think that's not a bad deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back