need new iems, budget 100 dollars
Feb 6, 2009 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

boobie

New Head-Fier
So im in the market of new iems. I will only be using them with my portable setups. Some requirements:

1 i dont want to use an amp
2 looking iems from the price range of 70 to100 dollars

My sources are zune80 and 1st gen ipod shuffle, and i listen mostly electro pop, indie rock and a little bit of hip hop. All suggestions will be appreciated!

boobie

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 22
I would have little problem suggesting the Denon as well but there are a few things to consider before purchasing them.
1) they are geared for critical listening
2) isolation is pretty low
3) SPL capability is about half of most IEMs
4) frequency range geared for low volume listening, basically a permanent Loud built in with exaggerated bass and treble boost, perfect for quiet levels, not so perfect for medium to loud levels.

The Denon is one of the most realistic and dynamic IEMs I've listened to. However, because of their low output capability and mediocre isolation, they are better suited for critical listening then on the go listening.

Must be an IEM or are earbuds fine too?

I ask about buds because Yuin's PK and OK series earbuds are really quite good. If you're not in need of an IEM solution and isolation, then they are some of the better options available.

If you want to stick to IEMs and would like a high detail, analytical sound, look at Etymotic's ER6i and Altec Lansing's IM716 IEMs, a couple of good, analytical oriented IEMs.

Any particular frequency response and type of sound you're shooting for? Depending on the type of sound you want, certain options will fit you better. Until you tell us, all we can do is guess. Listing off music you listen to doesn't help. All that tells us is what kind of music you like. It still says nothing about the type of sound you like.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 22
I sort of agree about the Denons. I know I found their metal enclosures clunky, and could only get a good fit with Comply foamies. At $100 or less, I agree the PKs are very good if ear buds are acceptable. What about the NuForce 7s? I had them, and they were pretty decent on the go phones, and just $50, no amp required. I would recommend the Head-Direct RE2s, which are on sale now, for $49, but they do require an amp, even a cheap E3, in my view, cause they are somewhat bass light.

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nuforce NE-7M.

+1. Just bought a pair of these online, for use with my iPhone. These seem to be pretty well-liked, and won't break the bank by any means.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 22
My bad the country misunderstanding.. Actually im from Finland but i meant us dollars because im quite sure i need to order the headphones from somewhere else..

Soundwise i really like analytical sound and i by no means need bass heavy headphones. And no they dont have to be iems, earbuds go also but i dont want bigger headphones. I have looked into the yuin family and Etymotic's ER6i. Which of the yuins should i look more into?

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 22
RE0 or PK3(earbuds)

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 22
PK3 will do the job...

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 22
Probably mean Head Direct RE2 no RE0 (at this price range). I've run the RE0, but the RE2 is significantly different. I have not listened to the RE2, so I can't comment. There are well regarded as a great bang for the buck option.

PK or OK series Yuin if you don't mind buds, PK3, PK2, OK3, Ok2. Apparently PK3 < PK2 = OK3 < OK2 in a rough sense. There's a big comparison thread that you can read through about the differences in each.

Denon C751 can be had for just a hair over $100, but they are geared for critical listening, not high output.

If you're more inclined to rock out, NuForce's NE-7M is a good buy.

If you want something more evenly balanced, Etymotic ER6i or Altec Lansing IM716 may be better picks, more analytical and accurate but not bass monsters like the Denon or Nuforce. It really depends on what you want.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #15 of 22
Im leaning towards these two headphones, Etymotic's ER6i and Altec Lansing's IM716. I read more about the altec lansings phones and most of them said that the player must have powerful internal amp.. Will my zune80 and 1gen shuffle have the power to run those phones (without an amp!)?

But im still open for more suggestions.. need to look more into the nuforces..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back