Need new IEMs; ~$200 budget; Looking for a slight V-shape
Apr 3, 2017 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fordy314

New Head-Fier
My RE-400's have pretty much fallen apart and it's time for a new pair of IEMs.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, I love my HE-400's, and it'd be nice to find a similar sound signature in an in ear. I want something as clear and detailed as possible, but also has some decent bass for a fuller sound and a good impact when a song requires it. I listen to Rock, Hip-Hop/Rap, and EDM in equal amounts, if that helps. Primary source will be straight from my Nexus 6P.

The ~$200 dollar budget is kind of a ball park. I obviously like to get a good value out of my headphones, but have a little bit of free cash at the moment.

I prefer to wear over the ear. Really want a good build quality; looking to get 2-3 years out of these. Detachable cables sound nice too... The cable on my RE-400s broke at the housing. I'll be using them on the train and whatnot, so isolation's pretty important to me too.

Some of the pairs I'm considering at this point:

-iBasso IT03
-Dunu DN-1000
-Fidue A83
-Trinity Audio Delta or Master
-1MORE Triple or Quad driver (seems like these can't be worn over ear, but they'd also save me a decent amount of money)
-Haven't exactly ruled out the Campfire Orion, but it's definitely the most I'd be willing to spend, and I might be a little biased against a single BA. Concerned about the range it can reach.

I'm open to other suggestions, but after reading a lot of reviews, this is what I came up with.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 7

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, I love my HE-400's, and it'd be nice to find a similar sound signature in an in ear. I want something as clear and detailed as possible, but also has some decent bass for a fuller sound and a good impact when a song requires it. I listen to Rock, Hip-Hop/Rap, and EDM in equal amounts, if that helps. Primary source will be straight from my Nexus 6P.

The ~$200 dollar budget is kind of a ball park. I obviously like to get a good value out of my headphones, but have a little bit of free cash at the moment.

I prefer to wear over the ear. Really want a good build quality; looking to get 2-3 years out of these. Detachable cables sound nice too... The cable on my RE-400s broke at the housing. I'll be using them on the train and whatnot, so isolation's pretty important to me too.

-iBasso IT03
-Dunu DN-1000
-Fidue A83
-1MORE Triple or Quad driver (seems like these can't be worn over ear, but they'd also save me a decent amount of money)
-Haven't exactly ruled out the Campfire Orion, but it's definitely the most I'd be willing to spend, and I might be a little biased against a single BA. Concerned about the range it can reach.

I'm open to other suggestions, but after reading a lot of reviews, this is what I came up with.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Oh I just saw your post on Reddit. Already answered over there.

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 7

-iBasso IT03
-Dunu DN-1000
-Fidue A83

For your tastes, I like the Fidue and the Dunu a lot. Haven'[t heard the IT03 or the Quad Driver yet, sorry. The 1More Triples is terrific, though. The Orion is the best one on your list but it is $349, which is out of budget.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 7

-iBasso IT03
-Dunu DN-1000
-Fidue A83

I use the MEE Pinnacle P1 from my Nexus 6P and a FiiO A3 amp. Listen to a lot of hip hop and EDM. People complain on the lack of the bass of the P1, but to me its perfectly fine, and actually very nice and precise. 

It is also apparently on amazon for $150.00 at the minute. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Dunu Dn 1000 - technically excellent but a very bright sound. Bass is good but it's a more mid bass thump. Tons of detail though but the highs can get tiresome.

1More Triple Driver - The opposite to the above. Very warm and smooth, big bass which can get boomy. Fatigue free. It's still a very good triple driver and comes beautifully packaged, it's just too smooth for my tastes.

Trinity Deltas - Great all rounders, detailed, musical, filters are fun and make a difference. Quite a balanced sound.

Check out the LZ A4 as it might be what you are looking for sound wise.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 7
  For your tastes, I like the Fidue and the Dunu a lot. Haven'[t heard the IT03 or the Quad Driver yet, sorry. The 1More Triples is terrific, though. The Orion is the best one on your list but it is $349, which is out of budget.

Hey, how would you compare the upper mids and treble of both A83 and Dn1000... I loved the Dunu for a long while my daily pair, but the brightness just became bothersome the more i listened to them.

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 7
  Hey, how would you compare the upper mids and treble of both A83 and Dn1000... I loved the Dunu for a long while my daily pair, but the brightness just became bothersome the more i listened to them.

Yeah, I hear you. The brightness can be a bit much (for me, too). But, if one is looking for a v-shaped IEM in this price range, the Dunu and the Fidue both fit the bill, IMHO. I would personally consider the Fidue to have a slightly more gentle brand of treble than the Dunu. Crisp and accurate, extended, but not bothersome. There's a peak at 10,000 HZ and another smaller one at around 15-20K, but that is it. Not too bad, all told. Upper mids are a draw, IMO. But that's just me. Others may feel differently.   You know how it is on head-fi--one headphone can engender a hundred different opinions. LOL Still, at the end of the day, the Orion is the one for me. A bit more money, but well worth it. ---)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back