Need new headphones for $100 or less
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

cdailey

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I've been trolling the forum for a few days now and decided to finally register. I looked at the list in the sticky "Headphone Buyer's Guide" and read a few reviews on ones that stood out to me/in my price range, but I can't make up my mind. They all sound good on paper (on monitor?
tongue_smile.gif
).

A little headphone history on me. I've had a few cheap pair of Koss headphones before and my most recent set (some $25 Akai cans [closed back?] I got 4 years ago) recently broke on me. Cheap plastic design FTL!

I mainly listen to various types of metal (melodic death metal, a little trash, smyphonic/power metal, progressive etc...), EDM (trance, house, DnB etc...) and some hip hop. The headphones will only ever be connected to an Apple Macbook Pro.
Open/closed I don't care. Whatever sounds best. I don't want IEMs.

Since I do listen to a lot of electronic music, bass is important to me. I don't want muddy sound, but since I've been using cheap cans for the past 4 years, maybe muddy sounds good to me? I dont know. Anyway...

Now, coming from a cheap pair of headphones, I'm sure anything in the price range I'm looking at will blow my old Akai's out of the water. The question is, which headphone should I choose? My $100 budget is firm.

I know everyone praises the Grado SR60s as the best thing since sliced bread under $100, but FWIR they are lacking in the bass department. The same with the Sennheiser 280 Pro. Are they lacking in bass compared to other 'phones in that price range, or just 'phones in general?

So, what would you guys recommend for a slight basshead who listens to metal as well?

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 29
I would recommend the Alessandro MS-1s, personally. I don't know about the Grados, but I never found the Alessandros lacking in bass. Very punchy, in fact. I think they would do well with metal.

The new Grado SR-80i might be something to consider, too....

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 29
if you want closed headphones, check out the denon d1001k, they have quality bass and sound for sub $100

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy
if you want closed headphones, check out the denon d1001k, they have quality bass and sound for sub $100

Excellent, I'll check them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your source? (iPod, CD player, etc)

Oops, forgot to put that in my first post. I'll do that now...

The headphones will only be connected to a Macbook Pro.

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 29
I suggest getting a cheap little amp to go with whatever headphones you get as well (like the fiio, which only ocst around $10 from memory).

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest getting a cheap little amp to go with whatever headphones you get as well (like the fiio, which only ocst around $10 from memory).

On this subject, are cheap headphone amps any good? The only knowledge of any sort of amps I have is from car audio, and with that you definetly get what you pay for.

Perhaps I should search the forum so I don't clutter my thread up unless someone wouldn't mind sending me a quick PM about them?

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 29
for under 100 i like the jvc hadx1. nice bass, easy to drive (but likes a small amp). very fast response in the bass dept. thrash and speed metal drum beats work good on these. tight -not boomy-bass. great mids, decent highs. comfy, but large

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 29
JVC RX700 for $30 and Fiio E5 for $25. Don't bother with the Fiio E3 for $10, the E5 is quite a bit better, and yes, completely sufficient. The RX700 sounds better than the Denon D1001 and WAY better than the SR60 and HD280. These sound like toys in comparison. It has excellent bass quality and quantity, and is perfect for electronica. I don't know how it does with metal as I don't listen to that type of music. It may not be bright enough. This is where the Grados would excel I would think, but again, I think the RX700 is a much higher quality, more refined phone than the SR60.

For $55, you have an excellent headphone rig.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #11 of 29
Hmmm...interesting. Another one I'll have to check out.

I'll check out the Fiio E5 as well. It's kind of exciting to hear about cheap headphone amps.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 29
I'd strongly recommend buying the phones before buying any amps. Many people here can't recommend phones without recommending amps, as if the latter are necessary to enjoy the former. Listen for yourself first.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 29
The FiiO E5 rocks.

I second the Denon 1001's, especially if you're planning on wearing the headphones for long periods. Uber-comfortable. AD700's also a fine choice with excellent sound, but not as comfortable (at least not to me).

I also recommend you look into the HD555's, they've got a nice laid back signature and some pretty kickin' bass. Not sure if that's the type of sound you want, but give 'em a shot.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...interesting. Another one I'll have to check out.

I'll check out the Fiio E5 as well. It's kind of exciting to hear about cheap headphone amps.
biggrin.gif

For your tastes in music, the SR-80 is what you are looking for. The bass is tight and punchy, and never hides from the midrange even in the some of my most complex metal songs. The SR-80 is also fast and forward, which is a plus if you enjoy the aggression of metal.

Forget the Fiio though. It's a waste of money. I have one, and I can barely tell the difference with my SR-80s. I'm probably going to throw it away. Save the $25 bucks and buy some music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back