Need new ear pads for my Grado Elite headphones
Jul 20, 2017 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CrazyRay

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I need to find good quality ear pads for my HEADPHILE Grado Elite headphones, my last ones disintegrated.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Grado Elite... Wide tops, deep version with multiple layers of Ebony and Bloodwood with matching end tips, splitter, CJC on the 2.0 meter BlackGold to Neutrik 1/4" plug, with domed stealth screens. Rare Joe Grado red lettered headband with black rod locks, new flat pads (and bowls).
Drivers current Grado, 325i tweaked by HEADPHILE.

hd4b.jpg
hd4a.jpg

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 10
What do you think about these leather ones from China?

Looks like you had the TTVJ flats before, am I right? You can order those from Todd the Vinyl Junkie still. A little pricey, but worth it to preserve the sound signature.

If those don't float your boat, either stock L-Cush from Grado (you can order via Amazon) or the Ear Zonk knock-offs of the L-Cush (I find them a little muddier than the real ones though). Ever try a pair of G-Cush on them? That might also be good too....less bassy than what you're getting with the flats at the moment though, and more soundstage.

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Those pads look really nice. I might give them a try. The Merino wool would probably be a huge upgrade from the stock in terms of comfort. The leather option looks like a mini version of the Utopia pads.

The big question is what changes it would make to the sound.

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 10
Those pads look really nice. I might give them a try. The Merino wool would probably be a huge upgrade from the stock in terms of comfort. The leather option looks like a mini version of the Utopia pads.

The big question is what changes it would make to the sound.

Please do report back. Would love to hear some first-hand impressions of them.

My main concern with these "L" shaped cushions are that their shape means parts of my ears are sitting directly on the wood. My go-to pads right now are surprisingly the Ear Zonk G Clones.

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 10
I took a chance and ordered the wool. I didn't realize until after that they ship from New Zealand so maybe it will take a month to get here!

Can't be any worse than the stock. I love the sound of the 325e but the stock pads feel like cheese graters on my ears. I also have a GH2 coming and will try the pads on them (along with the Grado G cushions).

I will definitely post my impressions when I get them.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 10
Hi everyone,

I am not sure if you're aware of this: http://www.headfonia.com/picture-sunday-beautiful-audios-grado-headband-and-earpad-mods/. Still, I understand that everyone has their own preferences.
As for comfort, especially the ears touching things, of course again, everyone will be different, but I did test them on a few people (I make them), some with their ears sticking out quite a bit and no one touched anything.

LaCuffia, thank you, and looking forward to your impressions.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back