Need new DAP - battery life important!
Mar 3, 2010 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fromthelane

100+ Head-Fier
I have an ipod touch but the battery is always low on it - a combination of what I suspect is poor battery life to begin with plus my using it for WIFI/apps a lot.

So I'd like to get a new DAP purely for music - nothing else. Battery life is essential - minimum 30 hours. Between 4 and 16GB of storage - the more the better. I'd also like something fairly small and portable. Sound quality would also be nice. I'm thinking:

Sansa Clip + 4gb/8gb
Sony S639
Ipod Nano

Any other ideas are more than welcome.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 16
The Clip offers great SQ at a small price and a small size.
Cowon D2+ has long battery life and gives great sound as well.

I had the nano and loved it; great sound and the new ones have a video camera which record great video.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 16
However, the D2 will likely not get the advertised 52 hours of battery life. I've never met anyone who has done real playback tests of it getting that long. Mine got 35 hours, another friend gets about 40, but usually less. Neither of us use the card.

The clip has better sound from the headphone out (in some respects), but isn't quite as refined. The D2 comes alive when driving an amp and needs its effects to be on par with other modern DAP's.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 16
Cowon D2, S9, Samsung P3, Sony X series walkman, Philips Go Gear, Creative Zen, Zen X-Fi and MP3 Pro........

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 16
You live in Oklahoma, I am hesitate to "suggest" Teclast x19 4GB. You can find it over ebay for $40. It claims 70 hours on 128k mp3; I tested twice, 50 hours on 320k mp3. My friend had it for over 6 months, he sent it to me 4-5 months ago; no problem by far. Sound quality wise, it was pre Sansa Clip sound (more or less Cowon without BBE), not bad at all; it does have SRS Turbo and Wow HD, oh, it's nothing to brag about. The thing I like the most - the 9 bands EQ
The problem - if anything happens to it, the warranty can be an issue; they will fix it if you pay both way of shipping, but it's not cheap.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #11 of 16
@fromthelane - the iPod touch will get the same or better battery life than a comparable Sony. Mine tests at over 36 hours and the 1st gen gets over 28 hours sometimes while rated at 22. My Sony models have never tested as good as their claims, but they aren't bad.

As long as you don't use WiFi or play games (keep location off and manage your screen), audio life is very long.

If you want more, you will have to either believe marketing claims of companies who sell based on spec, or suck it up: you will be disappointed as no one will hit their targets.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 16
Cowon iAudio 7 if you are sure you don't need over 16GB. It has ability to play music around 60h.

Cowon D2(+) if you want a bit different sound (because of BBE+) and memory card slot. D2 can achieve nearly 52h, but if you are EQing and using it with SD(HC) card, then you'll probably get around 4x hours.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You live in Oklahoma, I am hesitate to "suggest" Teclast x19 4GB. You can find it over ebay for $40. It claims 70 hours on 128k mp3; I tested twice, 50 hours on 320k mp3. My friend had it for over 6 months, he sent it to me 4-5 months ago; no problem by far. Sound quality wise, it was pre Sansa Clip sound (more or less Cowon without BBE), not bad at all; it does have SRS Turbo and Wow HD, oh, it's nothing to brag about. The thing I like the most - the 9 bands EQ
The problem - if anything happens to it, the warranty can be an issue; they will fix it if you pay both way of shipping, but it's not cheap.

Teclast claims a very high Sound Noise ratio on the tl-x19+, 99 db if i correctly remember..does it feel like that... ? No hiss at all ?

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 16
You're not even going to get close to 30 hours with a Clip+ or Fuze unless you open it up and put a bigger battery in there. I usually get 8-9 hours with my Clip+ and 12-14 hours with my Fuze. Keep in mind, I'm shuffling alot with replay gain on, but also with screen brightness on the lowest setting and 5 second backlight. When you say 30+ hours, do you mean 30 hours of leaving it alone and letting it play through or 30 hours of regular use (shuffle, changing albums, etc.)?

Something else to consider would be a portable, battery-powered USB charger. I haven't tried it, but that might work okay with the Clip/Clip+. Pair that with the Clip+'s included USB cable, and it shouldn't take up all that much space. It might even work with your iPod touch.

Sorry I can't give you any real reccomendations since I don't have and haven't tried the D2, Walkmans, AMP3, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back