Need new DAC for HD650s - budget $500
Feb 16, 2008 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nylus

Head-Fier
I have $500 for a new DAC. Im currently running Sennheiser HD650s through rubbish onboard sound so am looking for a new DAC.
I would like something better than the 0404 USB, but still within $500 and preferably less than $300, but i will stretch to $500 if its worth the extra cash.

I will be also be purchasing a Gilmore Lite w/DPS, so would be looking for a DAC that works well with this amp.

If anyone could make any recommendations, i would very much appreciate it.
Thanks

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 16
There seems to be a bit of a gap between the 0404 USB and the the Headamp Pico of late; the DAC's that fall in between these two models may not necessarily have enough of an edge to justify the cost over an EMU. Likewise, the Pico is just about the best DAC to be had for $500 or under, despite its footprint.

Value-wise, the EMU and Pico are top notch. Both really justify the price you pay for them.

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks guys.

Aura, i was actually considering getting a Pico w/DAC and using it as a DAC and amp until i have enough money for the Gilmore Lite, and then when i have the money, i can use the gilmore lite as an amp and use just the DAC function of the Pico.

The only thing is i would have thought it would be a bit of a waste of money if i was buying a Pico only for the DAC function. I mean i would only be using the amp, until i could afford a home amp, like the Glite or the GS-1.

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nylus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing is i would have thought it would be a bit of a waste of money if i was buying a Pico only for the DAC function. I mean i would only be using the amp, until i could afford a home amp, like the Glite or the GS-1.

Nah, it wouldn't be a waste. The DAC seems to be the main point of interest for the Pico anyway - it is surprisingly good, and I'm told a very nice match for the Senns.

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 16
Darkvoice amp & Musiland MD10 DAC

Sounds awesome with HD650s, and you should be able to find both within your budget.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 16
I've put in an order of the Ori Modded Zhaolu v4.1 to pair with my GLite. I should get it in an week or so. I'm curious to see what improvements it offers from my 0404 USB. It's in the $500 price range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nylus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have $500 for a new DAC. Im currently running Sennheiser HD650s through rubbish onboard sound so am looking for a new DAC.
I would like something better than the 0404 USB, but still within $500 and preferably less than $300, but i will stretch to $500 if its worth the extra cash.

I will be also be purchasing a Gilmore Lite w/DPS, so would be looking for a DAC that works well with this amp.

If anyone could make any recommendations, i would very much appreciate it.
Thanks

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HIPPOhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why dont you look at a combined DAC/Amp and save some money?

Thats exactly what I did....

Its a bit off topic (so sorry if I hi-jack the thread) but I picked up a Fubar III and honestly its just fantastic. I only paid half of what your budget is and its a wonderful DAC and Headphone Amp built in. In fact I use the headphone amp just as much as the USB Dac portion.

Great value for the price IMO

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Based on reviews, I'd say saving a bit more for (or waiting for a used) VDA-2 (and an AV710 or Audiophile 2496 as a transport) is a good idea. That's what I would do personally, but then again I do want to get a VDA-2 right now myself.
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #13 of 16
Hey thanks everyone.

Does anyone know how the Headroom micro DAC compares to the DAC in the Pico?

Infact does anyone know any DAC (portable or not) under $500 that compares to the one in the Pico?

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 16
I'm in the same boat than you Nylus

I want a standalone USB DAC to use with my macbook to feed Glite and NAD. From what I've read the Apogee Duet looks very interesting for 500$ but lacks in versatility (toslink for CDP).

I got a friend of mine who use the Musiland MD-10 I will try it soon.... It seems to be a great DAC but it uses the same chip than my 1212m...

I want to increase my source quality as well and will maybe go further in the price and try something like Larvy D10, Apogee Mini and DAC-1.

Good luck in your quest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back