Need New Cell (Verizon)
Jun 9, 2006 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BodiesOfLight

500+ Head-Fier
My current two year old phone, which I was really happy with until it broke at a hinge (it's a Samsung A670), is on its way out and I need to get a new one.

NOW, the thing that sucks is, my contract still has another year on it, so I'm either going to have to pay full price for the phone or extend the contract and hope theyll give me the discount on a phone.

ANYWAY, I need suggestions on a phone. I'm looking at the Razr (though I've heard they're crap and over priced) and the Moto E815. I don't want to spend more than what those two phones cost without a plan, that is, if I have to buy one without plan.

I want a flip phone with an external display, those are my only two demands, so any other recommendations would be cool. Yeah, Verizon's phone selection is crap.

Jun 10, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 14
If I switch to Verizon I'll probably go for the E815, after lots of research this seems to be the best bet for me. IIRC, Jude has this model as well.

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 14
Motorola Q.

tongue.gif

You'd probably want to re-up on your contract to get a better price.

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 14
I just got the Razr, and while I don't regret it, hindsight tells me I should have gone with something different. It's a good phone and all, has great reception and battery life; plus you can't deny the cool factor. However, the software (and this might be Verizon) isn't that great. It seems like it's quite crippled
mad.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 14
Verizon is a GSM system, right? Just get an unlocked phone from a 3rd party provider, then it won't matter who your carrier is if you choose to change somewhere down the line. Although if you tend to go through phones rapidly then that's not much of a benefit.

I have an unlocked SE z600 that I bought in 2004 and it's still going strong. We were AT&T at the time, then Cingular (due to the merger) and now T-Mobile. Probably we'll hit Verizon at some point too
etysmile.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I just got the Razr, and while I don't regret it, hindsight tells me I should have gone with something different. It's a good phone and all, has great reception and battery life; plus you can't deny the cool factor. However, the software (and this might be Verizon) isn't that great. It seems like it's quite crippled
mad.gif

Yeah, Verizon crippled the bluetooth and change the UI to theirs, but I'm surprised to hear that you get good battery life with the Razr, I heard it kind of sucks. I also heard it has some issues with the external display clocking "lagging" or falling behind in showing the correct time. I think I'll stray away from that phone, especially considering how much it costs.

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 14
I have a Razr and a SLVR, the Razr is crap. It feels cheap and flimsy, the battery life sucks, and it gets tons of dust between the screen and the plastic screen cover. I would avoid the Razr if I were you.

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I have a Razr and a SLVR, the Razr is crap. It feels cheap and flimsy, the battery life sucks, and it gets tons of dust between the screen and the plastic screen cover. I would avoid the Razr if I were you.

Yeah, that's what I've read. I don't like any of the phones Verizon has really, but I need to get one because mine is almost unusable.

I like the E815 but it seemed bulky and the vibrate is weak and I use the vibrate feature mainly (vibrate then ring, which a lot of the Verizon phones don't offer, ugh).

Sorry for the complaining.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
Verizon is a GSM system, right? Just get an unlocked phone from a 3rd party provider, then it won't matter who your carrier is if you choose to change somewhere down the line. Although if you tend to go through phones rapidly then that's not much of a benefit.

I have an unlocked SE z600 that I bought in 2004 and it's still going strong. We were AT&T at the time, then Cingular (due to the merger) and now T-Mobile. Probably we'll hit Verizon at some point too
etysmile.gif

So could I get an unlocked Motorola SLVR L7 or a Samsung E880 that would work with Verizon?

I don't go through phones at all, and if I can keep one that I like for awhile through whatever service that would be awesome.

EDIT: Verizon isn't a GSM system. Damn Verizon.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 14
Huh. I got a RAZR last April, and most of my family followed suit. Except the one that accidentally took a trip in the washer, we've had good luck wtih them.

The only drawback is the interface. It's terrible. However, I'm happy with the performance and I barely notice it in my pocket. I'm happy enough to want another one when I renew my contract next April.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 14
" Yeah, Verizon's phone selection is crap."
qfe

too bad about verizon cripling features on their phones. I was set on a razer because of the usb capability, but so much for that. sales rep told me that the e815 was hands down a much better phone. better battery, transflash expandable and a screen thats just as good as the razr.

I like mine pretty good, even picked up a 512mb tflash card for it (can use it in a camera or something if I ever get one with the standard sd adapter).

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrawn86
" Yeah, Verizon's phone selection is crap."
qfe

too bad about verizon cripling features on their phones. I was set on a razer because of the usb capability, but so much for that. sales rep told me that the e815 was hands down a much better phone. better battery, transflash expandable and a screen thats just as good as the razr.

I like mine pretty good, even picked up a 512mb tflash card for it (can use it in a camera or something if I ever get one with the standard sd adapter).

I will probably end up with this phone, the E815, and just swallow the fact that it is a little bulkier than I like and has a weak vibrate.

Jun 10, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
EDIT: Verizon isn't a GSM system. Damn Verizon.

Looks like it's a CDMA? You might be able to find a CDMA unlocked phone somewhere. I know the unlocked phones do not work with Sprint at all because of their PCS thing, but there might be some CDMA/GSM combo phone out there. Try googling for CDMA unlocked phone.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 14
NOKIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

I love the usability. I'm using a tmobile family plan, sharing this with my girlfriend. It's relatively cheap, about $28 each. We have free tmobile-to-tmobile calls. The reception is quite good in the city but bad in areas like Arcadia National Park. The only service that worked over there was my friend's cingular. He says it sucks in NYC. So maybe it's a trade off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back