Need my first portable amp combined with a Beyerdynamic Dt 990/880 Edition
Jan 10, 2011 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Steam-Machine

New Head-Fier
Hello eyeryone, I was searching for a portable Headphone Amp for just a few minutes after I decided to buy a Beyerdynamic (250 ohm).
Now I'm pretty sure that there is no way to find a good portable amp, without the Help of a forum.
So I'm happy to join you :).

Ok, my budget is about ~150$ maximum, I actually wanted to buy the C&C Box V2, but I can't find a shop.
The headphone amp will be in use with an ipod touch 3G, and I really prefer to a nice case,
just like the C&C in gold or the (old?) LDM+.

Thanks for your Help!
Steam-Machine

Edit: Oh and I want to use them for traveling too ( two 18 hour bus tours -.-)

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Franky, the DT880 (or 990) is an excellent ex-flagship headphone, but only a good desktop amplifier can make it sings because these Beyer cans are too good to reveal the limitation of most portable amps. Otherwise, only the portable amps in top tier are good enough to pair them; however, all these are cost higher than your budget.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 7
Hey, I know :/ But as I searched a while, I found out that the Headstage Arrow seems to be a great portable amp.
What do you think about the combination of:

-DT 990 Edition (250 ohm)
-Headstage Arrow (Amp)
-Qables Ipod to mini cable ? Thank's!

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 7
If I need to choose a portable, I would rather to choose the Corda Stepdance instead of this new Arrow. I don't think it can sound better than the Stepdance.

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 7

If I need to choose a portable, I would rather to choose the Corda Stepdance instead of this new Arrow. I don't think it can sound better than the Stepdance.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Arrow. My own experience is that it can drive high imp phones with ease, and it's very flexible with its gain, imp, bass, and cross feed switches.

It easily competes in the big leagues at a lower price than most options from RSA, Pico, etc. And battery life is quite impressive too.

Definitely worth a listen! 

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 7
Add the AMB Mini3 to your list of considered amps. There are quite a few used ones going for 90ish in the for sale forum if you post a wanted classified. There's two versions, a high performance and a extended runtime one. The extended one has a battery life of 20-30 hours, maybe more if you get rechargeables with more than 270mah. The high performance version probably has the shortest battery life of all portables with around 8 hours. Dont dismiss the extended runtime edition as a poorer performer compared to the high performance version as they have different op amps (National Semiconductor vs Analogue devices) so its just a matter of gain provided and sound signature. From what i heard the high performance is more transparent while the extended runtime one is warmer. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 7
@yifo
Thank's for the idea of buying an DIY, but i guess, I pretty much like the Arrow, I can't wait to listen to it :D.
(And becuase I live in Germany, I probably dont have to wait too long for it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back