Need more jazz - recommendations please :-)
Apr 24, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 41
^oh wow woops LOL my bad :S I'm sorry

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #18 of 41
I've enjoyed Ahamad Jamal Trio lately my self, [I'll give you songs and Albums later]

and Dare I mention Nu:Jazz at this point? There are a number of Nu:Jazz bans I love that utilize traditional instruments, but I won't go there unless you want me to

Oh Dwayne Kerr Flutation- great album, Jazz Flutist

Also John Patitucci another enjoyable artist [although he's Jazz Fusion Electric Bassist... I've not heard anything of him on Double Bass though so...]

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 41
I've always found the different approaches and interpretations in Jazz interesting. I like all of these artists and their versions of this one song.
Yusef Lateef.
Bill Evans.
Ahmad Jamal.
 I'd recommend the work of any of them, but I've been loving Yusef Lateef's "The Blue Yusef Lateef" lately. The track "like it is" pretty much is ruling my world at the moment. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #20 of 41
Probably worth trying a couple of newer artists to see how they interpret Jazz in a modern way. 
I currently listen to Joshua Redman - Freedom in the Groove
Or one of the most innovative Piano trios during the last couple of years, EST, Esbjörn Svensson Trio

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #21 of 41
... Yes, Andi, nice suggestions, although Redman can be pretty challenging to the green ear ... Here's a modern release I recommend for the OP:

--- Robert Glasper - Canvas

... He has a bunch of newer releases, but I think this record was his finest hour (to date) ...

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #23 of 41

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #24 of 41
Dave, not sure what you currently listen to. But if you are into classical music, maybe try Jacques Loussier - Play Bach. He
takes classical Bach pieces and turns them into Jazz. Fun to listen to and easy to get into. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #25 of 41
…to the OP: Yes, plenty of new artists are cool, but there's no reason to jump ahead to sump'n just 'cause it's "new"…jazz history is a long and winding road that's quite rewarding to traverse…feel free to check back in and let us know what you're digging…
L3000.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #26 of 41
Dave, not sure what you currently listen to. But if you are into classical music, maybe try Jacques Loussier - Play Bach. He
takes classical Bach pieces and turns them into Jazz. Fun to listen to and easy to get into. 

An interesting idea - I might look in to it, as I want to work on building my classical collection, and that may make an interesting bridge between the two genres.

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #27 of 41
Apr 28, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #28 of 41

Quote:
An interesting idea - I might look in to it, as I want to work on building my classical collection, and that may make an interesting bridge between the two genres.

…fast forward to 7:29 of this half-hour TV show from 1961…Phineas Newborn Jr., yet another undervalued bad-ass (jazz has lots of those), floats Ravel into Billy Strayhorn's "Lush Life"…the double-handed stuff he does later on Sonny Rollins' "Oleo" is pretty fantastic also…

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #29 of 41
The Ken Burns Jazz set is a GREAT recommendation fatcat.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned any of Charles Mingus' earlier albums. Whenever I want to get into a groovy funk and get a little tired of Miles and Coltrane, Mingus always picks me up. 

"Mingus Ah Um" and "Oh Yeah" are two of my favorites from his discography. 

Another "safe" recommendation is anything from Dave Brubeck. His time signatures were unique at the time he was creating his "improvisational" masterpieces. I'd venture beyond the usual "Time Out" album to give a listen to "Brubeck on Brubeck" which is a solo effort without his trio.

The joys of discovering "new" old jazz is a wonderful journey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back