Need me some new IEM
Feb 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nexitus

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am currently looking for a new IEM. I recently lost my CX300 and have been reduced to using my iPhone earbuds on the go until I find a suitable replacement for them.

At work I use Senn's HD650 and Beyer's HT770 as reference headphones to the video/audio I listen to daily. I like them because I find that their sound is very well rounded.

(Since I'm new to the forums, I'm trying to avoid the Lingo in-case I get the wrong point across)

I personally listen to a lot of softer music which are heavier on instruments such as Piano, Violin, Acoustic Guitars and the lot. There are definitely vocals in them as I sometimes enjoy listening to Operas. So I guess I am more interested in listening to the details of my music rather than having them overly bassy and muddy.

The current selection I have been looking at is around the $100~ Canadian price range.

Sony MDR-EX500LP
Etymotic ER6I
Sennheiser CX 300-II

Any help and guidance would be great
regular_smile .gif

*Edit: Oh I forgot, I have a Fiio e5 amp, if that helps at all.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 11
Perplexed that you say you want something soft with details and not bassy, and then say you have heard good things about the IE8. I mean, does not compute.

I would rather steer you towards the Triple.Fi 10, which presents the details better than the IE8 IMO, and which is not overtly bassy.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 11
Right,

I have been reading that IE8 are more bassy, but at the same time the sound detail of the IE8 is quite good.

I think for the time being I will stay some where sub $150 until I the need to go to higher range of things.

Which brings me to a RE0 I believe. Which in comparison to something of similar price it seems to win hands down?

Would something like the Etymotic HF2 be sort of comparable?

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 11
yea, im gonna go the normal route and suggest the RE0's also. Ive had mine now for about 3 weeks and i cant believe I only paid 80$ for them. They are amazing. The clarity is amazing, the bass is well rounded and smooth, but not strong or overpowering (imo the bass is perfect on these when amped). Though i will say, the RE0's really really benefit from an amp.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 11
RE0. Comfortable, detailed, and cheap. Basically what you'd normally pay >$150 for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildewonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though i will say, the RE0's really really benefit from an amp.

True that. The mids and bass come in more fully.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 11
Beside RE0 some other IEMs are worth considering in this price range like Cresyn C750, Philips SHE9850 and JVC FX500.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Since I'm new to the forums, I'm trying to avoid the Lingo in-case I get the wrong point across

Smart. Better to just say what you mean. Most who use the lingo don't know what they're talking about, and it shows.

I would add either the RE0 or RE1 to your shopping list, but the 6is would also serve you well.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Seems like the consensus is the RE0.

What I like is a a wide tonal range, where I can listen to and differentiate the sounds. I really like to have the feeling of hearing the instruments in the purest sounding way. That is why I like more referencey type equipment.

Listening to my Mackie's at work is great! And I am trying to get a experience like it. Not necessarily the same, but similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back