Need M50 Alternatives <$300
Jan 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nStyle

New Head-Fier
First, a quick preliminary note: I just got the M50's and they are my first "big boy" headphones. I understand this is the experience of many on this forums. I also just bought these so I am able to return them. I do enjoy these headphones but I am sure this could be attested towards the fact that these are the first good headphones I've tried. My problem with the M50 is that they are too damn uncomfortable. After an hour I find my right ear begging to be released from these cans.

I find that I am going to be playing BF3 a lot, and games in general. Thus, I have determined that soundstage and positioning is definitely something I am looking for. I would like to retain the bass value that the M50's produce, though they are certainly no basshead cans by any standards, as some would like to imply here on the forum. Also, I tend to prefer a closed headphone vs an open. Or at least, I would like to stick with partially closed. I understand that the soundstage can only be so good with a closed set of cans.

A few I've considered:

1. Denon AH-D2000
  2. AKG K701/702
  3. Sennheiser HD598
  4. AT A700

(I'm willing to consider something up to $500 if it is that much better for what I want to do. Like is the D5000 really miles ahead of the D2000?)

Wishlist:

1. Bass as good or better as the M50
  2. Decent-excellent soundstage (better than M50)
  3. Comfortable (I realize this is subjective, but there has to be some common ground somewhere)
  4. Closed if possible

I understand that the only really closed set is the D2000, though I would want to keep the 701's in mind for gaming.

I know it is going to be rare to find someone who has tried all of these. Truth be told, I am leaning towards the D2000's but they have increased to $350 as of late, and I don't know if that price is justified. Also, I will only buy new, so no need to mention that the D2000's can be had for $200 used.

Final note: I will be using an Asus Xonar Essence STX to power any of the headphones I choose.

What do you guys think?

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
A few I've considered:

1. Denon AH-D2000
  2. AKG K701/702
  3. Sennheiser HD598
  4. AT A700

(I'm willing to consider something up to $500 if it is that much better for what I want to do. Like is the D5000 really miles ahead of the D2000?)

Wishlist:

1. Bass as good or better as the M50
  2. Decent-excellent soundstage (better than M50)
  3. Comfortable (I realize this is subjective, but there has to be some common ground somewhere)
  4. Closed if possible

Just ordered D2Ks off amazon for 300 exactly. Get them, seriously just get them, you will NOT be disappointed.

I got the M50s as my first cans, except I used them exclusively for over a year, still love em. But d2k comfort is like immensely greater than m50s. soundstage is way way huger, bass impact and overall quality of bass and every other sound in the spectrum is like whoah. read my review i just posted.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 11
In terms of better options.

I have both the ATH m50's and the A700.

Personally, I really prefer the A700. The soundstage is so much more expansive--where you can hear certain instruments really sparkle in the treble almost like it's not limited. The m50 is really good as a monitor headphone, but the problem is that the highs feel almost rolled off a little/bass presence seems diminished.

Comfort, you can't beat the A700, The floating wings make it feel like you're not even wearing them after 5 minutes. The pressure is even throughout, not resting behind your ears or on top of them so they make for long listening sessions with no listening fatigue. Not to mention you can snag them for about $106-$120 online.

The only drawback, you'll want a headphone amp to power them. They need a little juice to push the drivers.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 11
Are Denon D2000's something you shouldn't buy without a warranty? I can get the $230 from an authorized dealer but they are open box.. I was not a fan of finding out the screw problem.

I'm pretty sure the $200 D2000 deal includes warranty.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/denon-ahd2000-high-performance-over-ear-headphones-ob

Edit: Yeah, they do.

Open Box (Product has been opened, but is in like new condition and includes full manufacturer warranty)

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the $200 D2000 deal includes warranty.
http://www.electronics-expo.com/denon-ahd2000-high-performance-over-ear-headphones-ob
Edit: Yeah, they do. Quote:
Open Box (Product has been opened, but is in like new condition and includes full manufacturer warranty)

That's weird, I called them up and they said it doesn't come with a warranty. Regardless I bought it off amazon as an open box like new item from them.. interesting.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 11
That's weird, I called them up and they said it doesn't come with a warranty. Regardless I bought it off amazon as an open box like new item from them.. interesting.

Congrats! Let us know what you think after they arrive. :darthsmile:

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Congrats! Let us know what you think after they arrive.
darthsmile.gif

ditto

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Just ordered D2Ks off amazon for 300 exactly. Get them, seriously just get them, you will NOT be disappointed.

I got the M50s as my first cans, except I used them exclusively for over a year, still love em. But d2k comfort is like immensely greater than m50s. soundstage is way way huger, bass impact and overall quality of bass and every other sound in the spectrum is like whoah. read my review i just posted.

Open box for $200 from Electronics Expo where they literally just break the seal of the box. They don't touch anything inside.

Shiz, just found out someone posted this before me.

._."

How embarassing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back