Need Kitchen Knife-Fi Advice
Dec 31, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 27
I love my Kasumi Santoku and I also have a 3 piece set of Globals. The Global G-2 is a great chef's knife IMO.

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure, but I believe the OP is not a chef
icon10.gif

For his purposes, Cutco can be very good; obviously, if you like to periodically sharpen them, then it's a different knife entirely. Also, there's Cutco's warranty...

Sharpening knives takes practice...

I just have problems paying top dollar for a stamped knife with inferior steel that I can not sharpen, but I guess cutco is good for some people. Wusthof and Henckle have lifetime warranties also. I have droped one of my wusthof and one was destroyed by a knife sharpener and they replaced it no questions asked.

I defently reccomend finding a shop that has multiple knives so oyou can hold them. Shun are great knives but I do not like the D shaped handle personally. You should check out Knifeforums and ask some questions around there.

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #19 of 27
I was a line cook in fine dining and our house knives were a quality no name brand. My brother in law was also a cook and bought us a full set of these knives from the cutlery service for our wedding gift. I have had them now for 27 years and they are holding up great. Contact your local restaurant cutlery service and I am sure they can recommend something durable. Besides a big chef and paring I highly recommend a nice carver....every year I am asked to carve a turkey at someones house and they hand me an electric knife
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my Kasumi Santoku and I also have a 3 piece set of Globals. The Global G-2 is a great chef's knife IMO.

I agree with the G-2, it's a most excellent knife.

http://www.bestknives.com/glg28chkn.html

Jan 1, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased a Kershaw Shun Santoku many months ago, and have been pleased with the results.

5914.jpg

ditto, i too have this knive, but i preferred the plain edge, not the bevelled one.

i have 3 Shun knives
the santoku
the 6" utility
the small paring knive

LOVE them all

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #24 of 27
I am very pleased with my Global knives. They are razor sharp, durable and well balanced.
In specific the Global G-2, which I use daily!

img_global_g-2.jpg

Jan 1, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #25 of 27
Jan 1, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just have problems paying top dollar for a stamped knife with inferior steel that I can not sharpen, but I guess cutco is good for some people.

I agree in the same way Bose is good for some people.

Quote:

Shun are great knives but I do not like the D shaped handle personally. You should check out Knifeforums and ask some questions around there.

Being left handed, I don't like the D handle either. Neither of my Shun knives have one:
Ken Onion 8" Chef
Elite Deba-style mini prep
The Elite knives are exclusively sold by Sur La Table. They are probably a bit over priced but are very nice knives with excellent edges. Both of these knives cut better than any other kitchen knife that I've owned and they maintain their edges well. I haven't had to sharpen either yet in over a year. So far they've just needed to be honed regularly with a steel.

I will have to look into the Japanese knives that chef8489 recommended.
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The knife i reach for most often in the kitchen is the Global G-16 Cooks Knife, if they're good enough for "Anthony Bourdain" then they're good enough for me.

My primary Sushi tool is the Global Yanagi Sashimi Knife G-11.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/globyansaskn.html

Amazing edge, great balance, a total joy to use. Haven't sampled any other Global products, but I'd bet they're good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back