Need K271 repair advice
Aug 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

petedread

New Head-Fier
Hi folks.
 I'm totally gutted. My 7 year old K271's mk1 have started rattling, it's the left speaker only, and only when playing bass sounds even at low volume.
 I have checked for any hair stuck in speaker and there is non. The cable is in very bad condition but I've got a feeling that replacing it won't help. But, I don't know anything about these things so maybe it would help, what do you think.

If they can't be fixed what would be a good upgrade? I would like something of the same or better quality sound, even it I have to pay a bit more. I would even get another set of these k271's if I could find the mk1's.
 I use my headphones for mixing and production. I have a 1977 Technics SU-7300 amp and a 600ohm headphone socket on  my motherboard.

Do AKG sell the drivers? So I could just replace the broken one.

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 12
This could just as well be a cable problem. The cable is detachable, so easy to change. Try it before you go out to buy another one or replace drivers. Or it could be a connection to the driver that doesn't have enough contact anymore. Plenty of things to check before you dismiss the HP
wink_face.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Unfortunately I don't have another lead/cable to try. I don't think they came with 2 cables. I have just finished putting the left side back together after having a look inside. Hope I don't have to do that to often as I found it really difficult to get back together. Everything looked ok in there.
 You reply is encouraging, I would love to be able to keep using them. If I can find somewhere to buy a driver I won't mind buying a new cable to try first, and if it doesn't work then I can buy the driver and I haven't wasted money on the cable.
 I'm still looking for a driver but so far I have only found a driver for the K240.

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 12
Wouldn 't know how the 600 ohm output would effect a 55 ohm headphone. Where do you live ? The K271 cable is available seperatly. Just look for online shops.

Here for example: http://www.thomann.de/be/akg_k141171240271_spiralkabel.htm

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for reply's  Teska. I've found a company that supplies spares. I've ordered a cable, and they have drivers if I need them. The drivers are cheep too. Only £11. If I do have to replace the driver would it be best to buy two and replace them both or would it be ok to just replace one?

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 12
Wel, since I read about headphone "burn-in" on this forum it will probably be best to change both cause the used one could have a different sound then the new one.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 12
Yeah I think that's got to be the best way. I have ordered two drivers. If the cable which arrives on Friday fixes the problem then at least I have got a couple of spare drivers for the future. I've found drivers for the old k240DF 600ohm, now I'm thinking about putting them in the k271. It will be a interesting experiment.

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 12
Well the cable has made some difference. Things are much better now. But they still have a bit of rattle. So I have taken them apart and changed the drivers. I'm just waiting to get some solder this afternoon. I'm not looking forward to doing this as I know nothing about soldering. I know I will have to prep the surface of the copper I will be soldering the wire to but I just hope that the old wires don't need any prepping (like the old solder cleaning off) and can just go straight back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back