Need Jazz Suggestions
Dec 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Farnsworth

100+ Head-Fier
So, I've been trying to build a collection of some jazz CD's to give to my mother for christmas to hopefully avoid the onslaught of Josh Groban (*cringe*) music that typically haunts me over the holidays
But not knowing anything about jazz I am completely lost. So if you could please suggest me some of your favorite albums or something similar to Miles Davis (one of her favorites) that would be great.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 16
Miles Davis covers a really wide range of jazz - old school standards to wide open electric fusion, so we need to a little more information to do a good job of recommending, but...

CTI releases like Red Clay by Freddie Hubbard, Rite of Spring by Hubert Laws, and Prelude by Deodata always make nice presents, the music is good, the musicanship is first rate, recordings were superb and as a bonus the cover art was very classy.  A lot of the CTI musicians played with Miles at one time or another.

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the response, those all sound pretty great.

Im not exactly sure what kind jazz she is into but i would think more toward old school standard. I'll try and find out more but in the meantime are there any specific albums you enjoy?

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for the response, those all sound pretty great.

Im not exactly sure what kind jazz she is into but i would think more toward old school standard. I'll try and find out more but in the meantime are there any specific albums you enjoy?

It's not a bad idea to stay in the Miles Davis '50s orbit…

Miles Davis - The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions (4-CD set)

Various artists - Jingle Bell Swing (can be had pretty cheap right now)
http://www.amazon.com/Jingle-Bell-Swing-Various-Artists/dp/B0000DELWG/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1292132324&sr=1-2

Hope this helps…

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_burke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

…although if she is a fan, she probably already has these two.

Yup, that's kinda what I was thinking, too. I think the indie status of the earlier Prestige discs will make them a bit rarer for some, but also quite satisfying. I find that a lot of people know or recognize the tune "Bag's Groove", even though they might not have the record it's on.

I'd also suggest a great record by saxist Lucky Thompson: Lucky Thompson Meets Oscar Pettiford.

Dec 12, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Her actual collection isn't that large. She's more of a radio listener which is why i thought i'd get her some CD's.
So I think those Miles Davis suggestions and Lucky Thompson will be great choices.

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 16
Charles Mingus "Ah Um" was given to me as a birthday present when I was 16. I was a complete noob to jazz at the time, and it got me hooked. 

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 16
All great suggestions. I will put them on my list of possibilities.

This has been great help.

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm not really a Jazz person,however this time of the year I really like my GRP Christmas Collection #GRD-9574.It's one of my oldest CDs and although it came out in 1988,it has some great artists and sounds really good to me.Hard to believe it's 22 years old.
atsmile.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 16
X2 on Brubeck's "Time Out." A classic, and I think Brubeck just had his 90th birthday. :) Also add his "Time Further Out" to the list. This is one of those rare sequels that matches - and possibly betters - the original. I find both indispensable.

Bill Evans' "Waltz for Debby" is another must. It is probably my most listened to jazz album.

You might want to check out the "NPR Curious Listener's Guide to Jazz." Nifty little book and a good place to jump off from. It recommends something around 100 albums and I have about 85-90 of them. Not the only list out there, but a strong one.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #15 of 16
One last compilation:

The Savoy Story, Volume One: Jazz - 3 CDs of excellent early work by all kinds of big namesStan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Lester Young, etc, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back