Need jazz cd recommendation
Mar 7, 2004 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
I listen to mainly classical. I do like some jazz.

I like traditional jazz. Whatever that is. With an upbeat sound, and string bass. Nice sax.

Sound quality of CD must be excellent. I LIKE high quality sound.
Gotta be stereo.

I would like to buy just two nice CD's, as Tower gives free shipping over $20.

I do have some Mapleshade CD's. Clifford Jordon and Harold Ashby. They are nice.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know the question has been asked before. But like I said, I want good sound too.

Mar 7, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 18
Here are some classics;

Saxaphone Collossus - Sonny Rollins (get the 20bitK2 remaster)
Soul Station - Hank Mobley (Rudy Van Gelder Edition)
Cookin' - Miles Davis Quintet (get the 20bitK2 remaster)

And if you mean CONTEMPORARY jazz - then I simply cannot help you.

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 18
My recommendations:
The Essential Charlie Parker: A good introduction to arguably the best sax player that ever lived.

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (if you don't already own this classic).

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 18
If you mainly listen to Classical music and want some Jazz recommendations, what about a blend between these two?

One of the best Jazz guitarists in the world made a beautiful solo album in 1992. Pat Metheny - Secret Story is a beautiful mix between Classical, Jazz and World music.

seceret.jpg

Pat Metheny - Secret Story
Wonderful and beautiful improvisational music, a touching poetic story. Jazz at it´s best, warmly recommended.

Mar 7, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 18
I would also put Kind of Blue by Miles Davis at the top of my list. But if you already have it, then consider Sunday at the Village Vanguard by Bill Evans.

Not only a brilliant album, it's a superb recording... probably the best live recording I've ever heard.

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 18
Again, Kind of Blue is a stunning recording both musically and sonically... the SACD version is pretty much my favourite disc.

Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby are both excellent (I'd actually put the two as amongst my favourite albums).

Finally, I'd also recommend the 2002 Deluxe edition of John Coltrane's A Love Supreme (on Impulse Records), the sound quality is absolutely amazing on my Pioneer SACD player.

Mar 7, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by stealthassassin
i just picked up
thelonius monk-live at the it club-complete
its 2 disks and very enjoyable

agreed. one of monk's best live recordings. if you like his style.....

since you've already got recommendation on the most famous stuff, here are some other cds to consider:

john coltrane - lush life (i personally liked this one better than love supreme, dont know why)

miles davis - sketches of spain. given that you already have "kind of blue" and maybe "birth of the cool" (these two cds are simply jazz essentials) this cd might another miles davis cd to recommend

you might also want to consider contemporary but traditionally played jazz.

charles lloyd - lift every voice
that man rocks. he's the guru of sax players, kind of spiritually way of playing. this cd is just a normal jazz quintet (sax, drums, bass, piano, guitar). very calm and insprirational songs

charlie haden and kenny barron - night and the cd (piano and bass only. this cd has AWESOME high quality imo. it's a live recording in a kind of night club / cafe. i dont know what the musical engineering people did, but it sounds as if you are right there)

pat metheny and charlie - Missouriy Sky (simply the best jazz cd there is imo. bass and guitar only. very calm and considerate.)

my personal recommendation: get the 2 cds i mentioned in the end or download them first and then buy them. these are simply awesome. if you want, i can also send you one or two songs from these cds (eac, lame) cause they are just too awesome.

Mar 7, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 18
you said good quality sound. meaning not just the music but also the quality of the recording? if so, be careful re "kind of blue." i bought a recent edition containing a previously unissued and alternate take of "flamenco sketches." there's noise - probably tape hiss from the originals - on some of the tracks that spoils the music. i can hear it with everything from low-end cm5s to e5s.

Mar 9, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 18
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue and John Coltrane - A Love Supreme are my two favorite jazz cds.

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back