need ideas for C++
Sep 8, 2006 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

seanohue

500+ Head-Fier
I'm taking C++ this year and I need some ideas for a project. I am limited by: nothing. I can do whatever I want. Anyone know where I can get some ideas?

On an unrelated note, I need some help with a video file. In the properties of this .mpg video, the playtime is listed as 45 minutes. But when you play it, the slider/play time counter says only 2 minutes. But once the slider gets to the end, it keeps playing. How do I get the video to play at it's full length?

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 17
If this is a group project and you have some time (like a semester) I would suggest a Direct X 3D space shooter that is network playable. Two guys and I did one for a programming class and it was awesome.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 17
Write an object oriented program to calculate the Green's function terms for the Dyadic Green's Function for Layered Media for use in a Method of Moments code. Use Sommerfeld integrals and devise a method of three-dimensional and two-dimensional tabulation and interpolation of the minimum number of terms needed and their first order derivatives. Then implement your code into an object oriented MOM code and calculate a known result, like a PEC sphere buried in horizontally stratified earth. You can turn the project into me to check it but I would prefer you have it finished before the end of November.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 17
hmmm, i should probably say the only thing I can do so far is print text on the screen
smily_headphones1.gif

And any ideas for the other question?

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 17
Definitely make a text based adventure.

Who wants to be a millionare? (I have code for it if you want
tongue.gif
)

Fibonacci number sequence maker?

Calculator?

Cash Register?

The possibilities are endless.

I learned the basics of C++ this summer. I thought it was fun, up to a point where the concepts were the same, just a different way of writing them in code.

cout>>"Go code some more stuff!!";

My trial version of Microsoft Visual C++ is over now.
frown.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanohue
On an unrelated note, I need some help with a video file. In the properties of this .mpg video, the playtime is listed as 45 minutes. But when you play it, the slider/play time counter says only 2 minutes. But once the slider gets to the end, it keeps playing. How do I get the video to play at it's full length?

I assume you are using windows media player, try a different player like VLC. If that doesn't work it sounds like the file may be corrupted.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 17
Sounds like badly ripped smut to me! Get off the junk, man!

Kidding, kidding. Its usually a codec error. Get a new codec pack.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 17
You can do battleship! Did this for one of my cs courses and although it was text based and primative, it was fun. Give it a shot. You will learn alot in the process including recursion. Whee!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Sounds like badly ripped smut to me! Get off the junk, man!

Kidding, kidding. Its usually a codec error. Get a new codec pack.

Haha
tongue.gif
its actually a badly ripped concert video. Any ideas on what codec packs to try? I use the KLM codec pack.

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 17
Code a toolkit for interfacing with web services using XML in desktop applications. Then code XML database toolkit to plug in an emulated version of the service when a connection dies, that automatically syncs upon reconnect.

Or code tic-tac-toe
tongue.gif

Actually, in all seriousness, you could code a pig latin generator. It doesn't require any graphics, and is fun to play with.

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 17
Well, if you're already using the latest KLM, that probably isnt it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back