Need High Quality Headphones for Home Theater
Jul 31, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #16 of 25
Maybe I should just get a Smyth Realiser and be done with it. Are you guys saying that the HD800's or the HD650's are much better then my Beyer Dynamics DT 880 Pro's for movies???

Also, right now I am using the PS3 for my blu ray player after going through a few others. Why not send the full 7.1 signal to the Denon 3808Ci and have the Denon down mix with Dolby Virtual???

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #17 of 25
The DT880 are my fav movie can.. But if you are looking to get close to a HT experience the K1000/HD800 would be key.. I wouldn't depend on no virtual SS DSP from your Denon reciever. Dolby headphone seems to be the standard for simulated 5.1 SS. If you want great down mixed 2 channel audio, the OPPO 83 BRP seems like your best bet for the price.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 are my fav movie can.. But if you are looking to get close to a HT experience the K1000/HD800 would be key.. I wouldn't depend on no virtual SS DSP from your Denon reciever. Dolby headphone seems to be the standard for simulated 5.1 SS. If you want great down mixed 2 channel audio, the OPPO 83 BRP seems like your best bet for the price.

Yeah, I am at a loss right now. I've got so many options running through my mind. Do I get the Realiser, do I get a good headphone amp, do I scrap my DT 880's and go with a high end Sennheiser or Denon or do I just stick with my Denon 3808Ci, DT880, Presonus HP4 and Buttkicker combo and be done with it. I really don't know what to do... The reason I haven't purchased the OPPO 83 yet is because the PS3 has a automatic 480P setting for my standard dvd collection enabling my JVC RS10 projector to perform all of the scaling which I find to be of better quality.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 25
I would be very curious about the SVS virtualizer if it wasn´t for me having my speakers. I don´t know if you should try to beat the speakers on their home turf. Use the headphones for the more intimate experience instead it has it´s pluses. Especially with headphones that cancel out outward sound if you have a lot of ambient noise. Really let you zoom into the movie. open headphones is for me worse then my speakers. It´s like they amplify the ambient noise in a total other way. Maybe because headphones encourages active listening or I get into analytical mode when using headphones or can someone explain that effect? With speakers there is less finer detail to notice which perhaps make it easier to sort things out. Except for them throwing more air at the same SPL?

Ultrasone Pro 900 as for headphones is by far the best I have used for movies... Nothing really comes close in that regard. Soundstage just the right size for being personal but not to cramped and very 3D. Have more then enough extension for the LFE effects to shine too apart from it´s magical mid range.

While you are on a spending spree get a transducer then you won´t miss your sub for a dime trust me. Though Even with that as mentioned I more often use my speakers for the unbeatable big soundfield and most movies are afterall mixed for speakers. I generally divide it between is this movie as good in stereo as in surround=Pro 900. Is this really just about the action or big scenerys=speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

You have for example not watched the remains of the day or Requiem for a Dream unless you have been wearing headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
... The same way as you haven´t seen Chronicles of Riddick or The Perfect Storm if you haven´t used your speakers lol

But if I had to choose one speakers so don´t spend to much on the headphones just for this purpose.

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 25
I have a dedicated room so Ill just stick with 7.1...I like headphones and all, but its not even close. Room is also sound dampened and treated so I can crank it pretty good even with the kids asleep...I can break china during the day heh.

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone Pro 900 as for headphones is by far the best I have used for movies... Nothing really comes close in that regard. Soundstage just the right size for being personal but not to cramped and very 3D. Have more then enough extension for the LFE effects to shine too apart from it´s magical mid range.

Yeah I wouldn't look any further than Ultrasones s-logic for watching movies, it's not so in your head but speaker sounding with a sub-woofer to boot. Comfort will be a factor with this headphones however, they clamp really hard however it can be fixed by stretching out the head band. hard to say if you'll need an amp, depends how good your headphone out is on your HTC.

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #22 of 25
I need it for my RX-V663... That takes all joy out of them
frown.gif
. I ordered a phono to rca adapter so I can hook it up from my receiver to my headphone amp hopefully. I want to see if silent cinema really is better then dolby headphone. The plus is that you can use every single surround mode and it mixes it. But well with just the receivers amp either the synergy is crap or it can´t drive them properly
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 25
I've looked into the Ultrasone 900's since it intrigued me that they were intended for movies. I've run across professional reviews that say the "S-Logic" does nothing and others say it's amazing. It seems to me that no one agrees on anything
angry_face.gif
Anyways, maybe I'll look into getting those. I wish there was a place I could test them out first.

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've looked into the Ultrasone 900's since it intrigued me that they were intended for movies. I've run across professional reviews that say the "S-Logic" does nothing and others say it's amazing. It seems to me that no one agrees on anything
angry_face.gif
Anyways, maybe I'll look into getting those. I wish there was a place I could test them out first.

Well if you take into considering the fact that Sennheiser are starting to copy Ultrasone with there 800 series there might be something to it. And what is a professional review anyway?

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
angry_face.gif

I don´t really read professional reviews of any headphoen at all that much you never know if the guy even took the weeks to burn them in. And yes it take a week or 200h before they stabilize. And well they hardly have it for several weeks before reviewing them apart from perhaps being bought.

Believe me it has been a lot discussion about that over here in head-fi as well though. Some doesn´t seem to be able to get the S-logic effect, some need time to be able to hear it and some get it pretty much straight away. I can pin point sound to much larger extent using that one whereas with most headphones you have no idea where that knock or that radio comes from.

HD 800 uses an angled driver instead I believe so not entirely the same. S-logic is a displaced driver and then some holes on the other side. And some cavity behind the steel plate that allows for easy modding lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back