Need High Quality Headphones for Home Theater
Jul 29, 2009 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

GardenVariety

100+ Head-Fier
Ok,

Right now I have Sennheiser HD595's and find that they start clipping on lower frequencies. I have them plugged into a Denon 3808Ci Receiver and mainly watch Blu Ray's with them. I need high quality headphones that will faithfully produce deep clean bass. I would like to stay under $500 but want the sound quality to rival my Definitive Technology Mythos ST's, Ten and Gem XL's. I am also open to an amplifier but would want one that I could power several sets with for movies. I am running into this problem because the neighboors are complaining about the volume level. Thanks again.

Edit: I am open to any style of "over the ear" headphones. Comfort is a must since movies can range from 1 to 4 hours long.

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 25
Denon D2000? I use it a lot for movies and series. Ears might get hot after a while, but a 5 min pauze takes care of that.
Buy JMoneys Denon pads and you have a supercomfy headphone for long hours.

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 25
I picked up a pair of Beyer Dynamics DT 880 Pro's yesterday. I am going to try those and then pick up the Shure's if I don't like them. What are your opinions on the Beyers???

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok,

I would like to stay under $500 but want the sound quality to rival my Definitive Technology Mythos ST's, Ten and Gem XL's.

Ain't gonna happen. IMO headphones can rival speakers when it comes to music but I don't think they can touch a setup like you have when it comes to Blurays.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 25
Oh, yes I completely agree with you guys. I forgot to mention that my neighbor is complaining and that I just moved into a townhome. I have no choice but to lower the volume and my system has lost all of it's impact at the lower levels. I purchased a Presonus HP4 amplifier with 4 headphone outputs and have installed a Buttkicker tactile transducer to the couch to pair with the headphones. The result is pretty awesome. I get the volume, the clarity and can feel the low end LFE to simulate a subwoofer. I prefer the headphone setup to the theater setup right now due to the volume issue and that fact that I can't turn on my subs.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 25
Actually, I don't listen to alot of music. For movies with headphones I leave it as a flat response (5hz-200hz). For movies without headphones I crossover at 120hz.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 25
If you are looking to have something that will come close to a really good external speaker system for Blu Ray. Then you have a long way to go.

Your A/V Denon or any A/V units will not cut it. You need a headphone amp, a very good Blu Ray player that has a great stereo downmix 2ch analog out.
The best I have heard, is the Oppo BDP-83 for downmix.

I use a Woo WA6SE maxxed for my headphone amp.

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD-800s.

I don't use my 7.1 speaker system anymore, because of how good a setup like mine sounds.

Of course there is a trade off.

With my setup, imo the sound separation and detail is better with my headphone rig.

With my speaker system there is the sub woofer. Headphone rigs cant match the impact of a good sub. ie you will not have your floor and walls shake with headphones. But the bass impact from my rig is wonderful, and is a more inward feeling than a external feeling that a sub will give you.

ss

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree its not going to happen...Headphones are alot of fun, but they dont rival a theater.

Are you trying not to piss off wife/wake kids?

Try the HD800 with the 2,000 flagship Pioneer O9 BRP, plus a great tube amp..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the HD800 with the 2,000 flagship Pioneer O9 BRP, plus a great tube amp..
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to disagree. But for BD film tracks, True HD, DTS HD MA or LPCM (5.1/7.1) the BDP-09 just doesn't cut it. The problem is with Pioneers 2ch stereo analog downmix. The Oppo is much better with sound stage than the Pioneer. The Oppo has a 2ch discrete rca out.
For audio CDs yes the Pioneer is better.

I have both the Pioneer BDP-09 and the Oppo BDP-83.

And yes the HD-800 with there large sound stage and the large sound stage of the Oppo are wonderful.
smile_phones.gif

Both the Oppo and the HD-800 are neutral, and the sound range that this combo produces is outstanding.

ss

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why dont you use a sub with the headphones...its just pre-out channel...I do it sometimes - kinda fun to be rocking the IEMs with SVS subs.

Yep I have tried using my sub. But I guess because I like to crank the volume on my WA6SE maxxed, the external sub for me has very little effect on the bass using my HD-800 or my Denon D-7000.

Side note. I almost didn't get the HD-800 because I really liked my D7000. The bass with the D7000 is almost like having a sub, the bass would rattle my teeth. But the impact of the bass with the HD-800 is really right on and very effective.

ss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back