Need Hendrix-like recordings with way too much reverb!
Feb 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jawang

500+ Head-Fier
When I say too much reverb, I mean like this:
YouTube - ST-323 The Wind Cries Mary, Jimi Hendrix, 1/2 (Guitar Lesson)
(sorry, couldn't find a better example :X)

I've been getting into some of the old school guitar heroes, especially Hendrix and SRV. Unfortunately, every recording I've found so far has been relatively poor and a bit distracting despite being great music.

From some minor research/experience, I've found that John Frusciante of RHCP sounds quite similar to Hendrix in many of his solo albums, as well as in RHCP's earlier albums. Unfortunately, RHCP's albums are generally terribly recorded. "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" sounds alright to me but almost everything else clips like hell.

I've also found that John Mayer sounds remarkably like SRV in many of his live performances (his studio albums are completely different and generally poorly recorded too). However, the only decent live albums I could find have been "Where the Light is" and some underground Continuum preview concert in mp3 format.

To clarify a bit, Tommy Emmanuel's "Live One" album also seems to have bits and pieces of the guitar tone I'm looking for in some of the tracks, but the genre of music isn't really right (plus, it's acoustic guitar).

I'm looking for a bluesy, reverb driven, old school, stratocaster sound. Not hardcore blues like BB king or anything like that, and not hard rock like any of the typical classic rock bands either. I know this is a vague description but I'm not sure how else to describe it :X

I've posted tons of these "looking for music" threads before, but head-fiers never cease to amaze me with their musical taste. Any recommendations for artists?
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 22
What SRV albums in particular? I've always been impressed with Texas Flood. You're definitely right about RHCP though.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 22
I would look into Neil Young's catalog, he has so many songs, yes some are acoustic but he wails on the electric.

Some of my favs: Cowgirl In the Sand, Cortez the Killer, Rockin' In the Free World, Cinnamon Girl, Hey Hey My My (Into the Black), Powderfinger, and Sedan Delivery. One cavaet, you may not like his voice but he makes up for lyrics and for 64 years old he can show the young'uns what guitar fuzz is about.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtPepper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What SRV albums in particular? I've always been impressed with Texas Flood. You're definitely right about RHCP though.

Texas Flood is amazing :]

I haven't listened to his music long enough to form concrete opinions, but right now I'm more into his live albums and compilations. I love "Lenny" as well as his cover of "Little Wing" (really wish I could find a good recording of this)

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, RHCP's albums are generally terribly recorded. "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" sounds alright to me but almost everything else clips like hell.

Seriously! BSSM sounds ok and with a little EQ can really come alive. Mother's Milk on MFSL is the same. Stadium Arcadium on vinyl is awesome. Everything else blows monkey chunks.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 22
I just remembered! Check out Joe Bonamassa, disgustingly talented blues guitarist/vocalist, and his tone is amazing. While I don't really hear much Hendrix influence, it's easy to hear a lot of SRV, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson etc. in his playing. Blues Deluxe in particular has the Strat sound I think you are looking for. His three most recent albums are a lot more original and showcase his evolution as a musician, but they sound a lot less like the sound you seem to be describing. As far as recording quality goes, it may not be perfect, but it is still quite good and certainly won't distract from the music.

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 22
Since we're talking about old-school guitar heroes, how about Ritchie Blackmore? Though his tone is not as reverb-y as Hendrix, he's still mandatory listening for classic rock. During his time with Deep Purple and Rainbow, he almost exclusively used a Stratocaster with a scalloped fretboard.

I recommend:

Deep Purple - In Rock
Deep Purple - Fireball
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Deep Purple - Made In Japan
Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Rainbow - Rising
Rainbow - Long Live Rock N' Roll

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 22
Feb 27, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 22
Jimi's sound was the result of the early use of fuzz, wah and a pedal called a Univibe which gave him that underwater train sound. A very similar sound can be found in the playing of Robin Trower. Robin uses an updated version of the Univibe in his setup and he sure gets real close to Jimi's sound and feel. His output can be a bit uneven but he definitely has the sound your looking for. "Bridge Of Sighs" is probably his most famous album which contains the track "Too Rolling Stoned". That along with the title track is where you get to hear him really take off. Check it out.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 22
I've been looking for "Jimi"-like music, too, and I've not had a lot of luck. I guess maybe I'm looking more for "the feel" than the sound. Some people have pulled off the sound, but not the feel.

A lot of guitarists try to mimic his sound, but no one has achieved the "feel" that Jimi had... with other guitarists I always get the impression that as good as they sound, they're just stringing together a bunch of memorized progressions, but with Jimi... the sound was coming from within, the guitar was just an outlet for a sound that he was hearing internally. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true, lol... you can just tell when you're listening to it. He's feeling the music... not just playing it. Not just memorizing it.

That's the beauty of Hendrix... for all of his influence on the rock scene, there really isn't a lot out there that have successfully pulled off his feel/sound. At least from what I've found. His sound and ability were so unique. He used a lot of different influences to create his own amazing sound that's just hard to reproduce. SRV did a great job of "tributing" Jimi... but Jimi still owns those songs, imo. SRV's Little Wing is fantastic, but Jimi's --- untouchable.

Even his covers were often better than the original artist. Dylan even admits Jimi's version of "All Along The Watchtower" is the best rendition, has said that the song "belongs" to Jimi.

And then with Jimi's original stuff... very few covers come close, and none surpass Jimi's version (in my opinion).

What's nuts is the dude didn't even own a guitar until he was 15. He died at 27 (so young). He learned how to play and accomplished all that he did in the span of twelve years.

The stuff he produced in that short period of time was nothing short of prodigious.

It's amazing to think that he had no official "training" or advanced education, that he taught himself how to play, and he didn't even finish high school. He couldn't read sheet music, and, of course, the famous left-handed playing of a right-handed guitar.

Just an amazing, amazing story. The dude was literally some sort of convergence in the electric guitar "Force", lol.

That doesn't even get into the realization that he's simultaneously overlaying his incredible voice over those really complicated licks. It's hard to do! That he sounds so amazing, guitar and voice, with so much feel... might not ever be repeated.

I think of his early passing and lament not knowing what else he could've given us.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 22
No one will ever truly play/sound like Hendrix..its that simple. He created a unique sound which included the early use of feedback. I remember hearing "Are You Experienced" when it was released in 1967 and realizing that rock music, as I knew it, would never be the same again. SRV who idolized Hendrix and Robin Trower are imo the artists that come the closest to Jimi's sound.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a bluesy, reverb driven, old school, stratocaster sound.

Get some Roy Buchanan. Guitar On Fire would be a good start, but anything is good. There is no one better for the old school stratocaster sound. no one.

Recordings are old though. May not be up to the quality you seem to be looking for.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNovice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just an amazing, amazing story. The dude was literally some sort of convergence in the electric guitar "Force", lol.

That doesn't even get into the realization that he's simultaneously overlaying his incredible voice over those really complicated licks. It's hard to do! That he sounds so amazing, guitar and voice, with so much feel... might not ever be repeated.

I think of his early passing and lament not knowing what else he could've given us.

Great tribute. I completely agree.

- Ed

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 22
Definitely get all of John Fruciante's solo work his recording process is all analog using 70s era tape recording equipment and his style is very much influenced by jimi in many ways.

I agree with Neil Young as well if you are looking for a distortion sound. He generally plays with 1950s Fender Tweed Deluxe amps fed thru microphones to make his signature reverb/distortion sound when hes playing his Les Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back