Need Hendrix-like recordings with way too much reverb!
Mar 1, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtPepper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just remembered! Check out Joe Bonamassa, disgustingly talented blues guitarist/vocalist, and his tone is amazing. While I don't really hear much Hendrix influence, it's easy to hear a lot of SRV, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson etc. in his playing. Blues Deluxe in particular has the Strat sound I think you are looking for. His three most recent albums are a lot more original and showcase his evolution as a musician, but they sound a lot less like the sound you seem to be describing. As far as recording quality goes, it may not be perfect, but it is still quite good and certainly won't distract from the music.

I just checked out his discography on Amazon. Unfortunately all of his stuff has been recorded after 2000. Every clip I tried was loudnessed way too much. Way too much. I can't listen to a whole CD like that, not even a single song. I don't care how well he can play a guitar and sing if his music cannot be enjoyed.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'am listening to Jimi Hendrix on my wife's recommendation, really nice music, but a little too rough for my taste.

You could try some Robin Trower. You could call his style a very very mellow Jimi Hendrix without so many rough edges.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just checked out his discography on Amazon. Unfortunately all of his stuff has been recorded after 2000. Every clip I tried was loudnessed way too much. Way too much. I can't listen to a whole CD like that, not even a single song. I don't care how well he can play a guitar and sing if his music cannot be enjoyed.

I think you have forgotten why people enjoy music in the first place. Sure, the loudness war sucks, but Joe's material is not any louder than what you would expect in today's market. If I had to choose my music collection on recording quality alone, I would have to eliminate around 95% of my favorite albums. That's not what music is about.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #20 of 22
Try Eric Gales and Robin Trower for a sound similar to to Hendrix.

Kenny Wayne Sheppard is more in the SRV vein.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtPepper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you have forgotten why people enjoy music in the first place. Sure, the loudness war sucks, but Joe's material is not any louder than what you would expect in today's market. If I had to choose my music collection on recording quality alone, I would have to eliminate around 95% of my favorite albums. That's not what music is about.

I know my statement makes me sound like an audio elitist who is only willing to listen to audiophile quality recordings. I'm not. I listen to and enjoy poorly recorded music. I just draw the line at overly loudnessed. I don't find overly loudnessed music to be enjoyable at all. I'll listen to it for academic reasons just to know or learn about the music, but I will not listen to it for enjoyment. There's plenty of older music available that isn't loudnessed. I have over 1000 CDs full of music I can enjoy spanning many different genres and that isn't overly loudnessed. I'm not hurting for music to listen to. It's out there.

I'll listen to something like Roy Buchanan playing Down By The River recorded live in a small club and really enjoy it. That's a Youtube clip. The audio and the recording isn't great but I'll listen to that over and over with no complaints. I've got SRV "In The Beginning". The recording quality of that CD is not very good but is one of my favorite SRV albums. I can deal with poor sound quality. I just cannot deal with loudnessed.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 22
Someone to listen to for the SRV style sound is Dan Patlansky. He's from South Africa. Plays very well. Unfortunately his actual CDs are available in South Africa but not so available here. Amazon carries MP3 downloads and for now I've settled on getting his music from Amazon as MP3. I need to get around to ordering his CDs from SA.

It's good stuff if you like the SRV style sound. His recordings are a little loudnessed but not enough to bother me much.

There are some clips of him on YouTube. Most of the clips are of him in live performances and the sound quality is poor. Here's a music video that has sound quality more representative of the albums: Dan Patlansky - Only An Ocean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back