Need Help :)
Nov 17, 2008 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bomo.is.ooc

100+ Head-Fier
I've been a lurker for a bit now and I'm just getting started with the hobby so I was looking for a few suggestions on some decent cans to start getting an idea of where my tastes lie.

The kind of music I listen to is rather eclectic but mostly it falls under Ingrid Michaelson, Iron and Wine, The Shins, Spoon, Calamine and that type of music. But I listen to just about anything under the sun, from bluegrass (Yonder Mountain mainly) to random rap and hip hop stuff, so a versatile pair is kind of a must.

I mainly use my computer to listen, but I do use my ipod at times. Just depends on battery levels of each and what's closest
smily_headphones1.gif
My music is almost entirely 320 kbps or higher, with only a few exceptions.

I'm planning on building thisUSB powerd DAC soon. And am currently working on a starving student amp (by currently working, I mean awaiting on parts to arrive).

Since I'm a college student, I can't really expect any $200-$300 cans until christmas, but I'd like to know which ones to go for and am willing to pay around $100-$150 for something decent now (though less is always better).

Open or closed doesn't matter a whole lot for me, since I do my listening in my room with the door closed.

So any help out there?

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 9
first: any nearby shops for auditioning?
AT's are a common suggestion, A/(AD)700, ES7
or look at the Senns, HD555 (maybe 595?).
senns are very versatile, good with all kinds of music/movies/games etc. es7 mainly for music. A/AD)700 never heard.
or have a look at alessandro MS1, grado SR60/80 for more forward sound (for rock pop etc)

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 9
The usual recommendation : HD595 or AD700 or MS1. All sounds good with your music amped or unamped.

But, since you're building some decent setup, you should consider buying some used K501 or HD580 (they are both discontinued) or wait a little bit until you can afford some HD600/HD650/K701/DT880 goodness.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Denon D1000/D1001? I was quite impressed by their sound when most cheap cans sound dull and boring to me.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 9
I think I'm with glac1er. I never heard the AD700 but I had the 595s and MS1. I recommend MS1. It's very versatile but on the other hand have a look at something a bit better as well. You're already thinking of building a nice rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...on the other hand have a look at something a bit better as well. You're already thinking of building a nice rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

good thought. of course, it depends on how fast the money comes too but don't spend too much now if these are only inbetweens and you'll be upgrading again soon. so either do it right, or do it smart
smile.gif

if you need on now, thinking like this and assuming you're based in the us:
the SR60 is $70... and a good starting point,
HD515 is $80 and more versatile but less exciting.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D1000/D1001? I was quite impressed by their sound when most cheap cans sound dull and boring to me.

I'll have to agree with that. They surprised me quite a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first: any nearby shops for auditioning?
AT's are a common suggestion, A/(AD)700, ES7
or look at the Senns, HD555 (maybe 595?).
senns are very versatile, good with all kinds of music/movies/games etc. es7 mainly for music. A/AD)700 never heard.
or have a look at alessandro MS1, grado SR60/80 for more forward sound (for rock pop etc)

Sadly there's no where really close by to sample anything. I go to DePauw University which is in the middle of nowhere that is central Indiana, and what's worse is that gas costs a bit much to drive into Indianapolis for anything outside of an emergency (falling prices doesn't make me any less of a poor college student
frown.gif
) Though now that I think about it, I'm driving into Indy next Wednesday to fly out for Thanksgiving, though I think it's a rather early flight. I could make a two day affair out of it and stay at a friends house, if outside factors are willing, I'll just have to see.

But to gather a list of things to look into:

Denon D1000/1001
Grado SR60/80
Senn 555/580/595
Alessandro MS1
AT M50, AD 700
AKG K501 (used)

seem to be the suggestions I've gathered

I'd have no problem buying used, and in most cases would almost prefer it due to the cheaper price point, but I'm just kind of nervous when it comes to over all life span of my investment (which not large by any means on audiophile terms, I realize, but still big for a college student). Obviously a used set will have some, no matter how gently used, wear to them, but maybe I'm just being over anxious.

On another note, would I be better off trying to get more than one pair by buying cheaper, that way I can know what to look for when I upgrade in the coming months? What I mean is should I buy a pair of SR60's and Senny 555? It seems logical, though I don't want to cut quality by buying cheaper and in the end only one set will be used anyway.

Anyways, thanks for all the help and sorry for being such a noob
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back