Need help with the replacement of the headphone jack on my m50's
Jun 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bartmasta

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I accidentally damaged the jack on my headphones cause it got stuck in the door and I got it replaced at a cheap repair shop. They put on a cheapo plastic plug/jack but from what I heard it doesn't really make a different and it sounded fine to me. A week later the metal part of the jack got so loose that if I had my mp3 in my pocket the plug would move around so much that the sound kept going on and off in the left or right headphone.

I got it replaced again, they did it for free this time, and 2 weeks later I had the same problem!

I went to the repair shop again, and they said that because it's not done originally by the manufacturer the quality of the connection on the new jack will never be as good and this will keep happening. They said they'll fix it for me again free but I told them I'll try getting a different jack.

Is this true? Do I just need to buy a high quality jack? What can I do?

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Make your own cable if you can solder. If not, you can salvage the cable from another pair of headphones. The connections inside the cups use screw-on connectors instead of solder, so it's very easy to replace.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply? Does this mean I need to take apart the headphones? If it's an easy job with no soldering I can give it a try except I don't know where I'd be able to find a spare cable. What do you think about getting a decent jack such as Amphenol or Neutrik and trying to get it fixed again?

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Yes you will need to remove the pads and then open the cups by removing the screws. You can buy bulk cable at the same place as you would buy the jacks, then have someone solder the jack on. Then open the jack again (unscrew the sleeve), be careful not to damage the soldering, and use a glue gun to melt some glue around the soldering to make it stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back