Need help with Subwoofer
Jun 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

M3Roc

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Martin Logan speakers for L/R setup and im using an Topping TP30 amp for them. I also have an Martin Logan powered sub that I would like to add to the setup. The problem im having is that none of these small desktop amps have an sub output. I only have outputs for me speakers. Also the amp has a built in DAC so its connected to my computer through USB. The sub does not have high level inputs, only two L/R RCA plugs for input. Can anyone help me figure out how I can connect the sub to my current setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm thinking of some simple type of

2 RCA in 4 RCA out... Passive might suffice since it's low-level anyways and the imput impedance ought to be low since both the Martin Logans and the sub are active...

Lemme look.. :wink:

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 9
I was told I may need a line out converter. Ive looked at some but they are all made for cars. Does everyone who uses bookshelf speakers just live without a sub? All the small desktop amps ive looked at, lack a sub out. I would love to find a small 2.1 amp or even a 3.1 with center.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Does anyone know of a decent 2.1 receiver? I like the Cambridge Audio One+ receiver but its got a bunch of stuff I don't need and at $500+, im not interested in that kind of price.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Does anyone know of a decent 2.1 receiver? I like the Cambridge Audio One+ receiver but its got a bunch of stuff I don't need and at $500+, I'm not interested in that kind of price.

Any receiver with an optical input should work.
Should be able to find a used receiver of Craigslist for $100.
Or eBay for $150

Personally I like Yamahas because they come with Silent Cinema, which is Yamahas surround sound for headphones.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 9
Im trying to keep this as small as possible. I have a full size Yamaha receiver but I don't want that on my desk. I'm currently using an Topping TP30 desk amp. I like the Cambridge One+ because its also a small form factor. Does anyone know why these small amp's never include a sub-out? That's really all I need. My sub is powered and does not need power from the amp, only the signal.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 9
This is the unit im speaking of. You can see the size in comparison to the ipod.​
 ​
 ​
 ​
You can see that the rear has a sub out. I don't need something this elaborate but it would be nice to have the features.. ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back