Need help with Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Headset and PS4 Setup
Sep 3, 2015 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ReapenWolf

New Head-Fier
So recently I purchased the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO BLACK PC Gaming Headset to replace my malfunctioning wireless Astro A50 Headset. 

The problem is getting the best quality out of the new headset and still being able to use the microphone without the hassle of a more complicated set up then I originally had with the ability to interchangeability plug just the usb into my PC and PS4 previously what I had with the A50 headset at my computer desk.

The Astro Mixamp seemed to fill that bubble in a small form factor of an all-in-one Dac/Amp. The downside from my understanding is that it is not powerful enough to power the 150 ohm impedance headset. Most from what I can tell pair it with another Amp to get the power needed to get the most from this headset or another high impedance headset. There is also another issue that I've heard of/experienced. Something about the Astro Mixamp having this so called "Sound Gate" that interferes with the headset creating a "White Noise." This is highly noticeable past the 50% on the dial and would be only more noticeable, I assume, if I were to purchase an amp.

So I need help replacing the Astro Mixamp with a similar product that has more juice to it to power the 150 ohm Sennheiser G4ME ZERO. I can't believe that Astro is the only company that has thought of an all-in-one Dac/Amp that will work with PC headsets on the PS4.

There are a few products that I've been looking at that might fit the bill and wouldn't totally break the bank, such as:

Audioengine D1 24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter $169.00

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-D1-24-bit-Digital-to-Analog-Converter/dp/B006IPH5H2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MF1VV5XJ4F8EHH2FRKV

or

Fostex HP-A3 32-Bit Digital to Analog Converter/Headphone Amplifier $252.23

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-Digital-Converter-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B007EDAPIS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_25?ie=UTF8&refRID=06Y7FJ6ZJQWG219CD6XV

I would like to know if these products would work with the PS4 and headset or if you have other suggestions with other products (with links to where I could get them would be highly appreciated.) I'm open to the idea of separate Dac and Amp, but from what I've seen so far my post is the only post of it's kind that wishes for an all-in-one that will work with the PS4.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 19
First of all, there is no comparable dac/headphone amp to the Astro Mixamp if you like the virtual surround sound feature it has. So you will be giving that up.

Not sure what the PS4 needs for a DAC hookup, but the Schiit Modi/Magni stack is very good for the money.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 19
I was in the same position a while back with the mic issue. It is really difficult to use good headphones on a gaming console, but what I did is use the mixamp to feed into a fiio E09k and then plugged my modmic into my controller with an adapter. It was super ghetto and janky so I ended up just using my connect :p. All done with an xbox one. ****** xbox. Idk if a mic signal can be sent through optical into the ps4, but if it can, you can use the mixamp, feed it into an amp with a 3.5mm 4-pole male to 2 3.5mm females. Plug the analog in on the amp into one female and the mic 3.5mm plug into the other jack. It should theoretically work if ps4 optical supports mic input and audio output simultaneously. That does not work on the xbox one. :p

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 19
  So recently I purchased the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO BLACK PC Gaming Headset to replace my malfunctioning wireless Astro A50 Headset. 
The problem is getting the best quality out of the new headset and still being able to use the microphone without the hassle of a more complicated set up then I originally had with the ability to interchangeability plug just the usb into my PC and PS4 previously what I had with the A50 headset at my computer desk.
The Astro Mixamp seemed to fill that bubble in a small form factor of an all-in-one Dac/Amp. The downside from my understanding is that it is not powerful enough to power the 150 ohm impedance headset. Most from what I can tell pair it with another Amp to get the power needed to get the most from this headset or another high impedance headset. There is also another issue that I've heard of/experienced. Something about the Astro Mixamp having this so called "Sound Gate" that interferes with the headset creating a "White Noise." This is highly noticeable past the 50% on the dial and would be only more noticeable, I assume, if I were to purchase an amp.
So I need help replacing the Astro Mixamp with a similar product that has more juice to it to power the 150 ohm Sennheiser G4ME ZERO. I can't believe that Astro is the only company that has thought of an all-in-one Dac/Amp that will work with PC headsets on the PS4.
There are a few products that I've been looking at that might fit the bill and wouldn't totally break the bank, such as:Audioengine D1 24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter $169.00

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-D1-24-bit-Digital-to-Analog-Converter/dp/B006IPH5H2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MF1VV5XJ4F8EHH2FRKV

Fostex HP-A3 32-Bit Digital to Analog Converter/Headphone Amplifier $252.23

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-Digital-Converter-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B007EDAPIS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_25?ie=UTF8&refRID=06Y7FJ6ZJQWG219CD6XV

I would like to know if these products would work with the PS4 and headset or if you have other suggestions with other products (with links to where I could get them would be highly appreciated.) I'm open to the idea of separate Dac and Amp, but from what I've seen so far my post is the only post of it's kind that wishes for an all-in-one that will work with the PS4.

It's very easy to hook up an optical input DAC to the PS4, but you will not get headphone surround sound, which is what the Mix-amp provides.
My suggestion is to get the FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60) and daisy chain it off the Mix-amp.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 19
First of all, there is no comparable dac/headphone amp to the Astro Mixamp if you like the virtual surround sound feature it has. So you will be giving that up.

Not sure what the PS4 needs for a DAC hookup, but the Schiit Modi/Magni stack is very good for the money.

The PS4 uses an optical cable to hook up to the DAC/Amp (the mixamp) and a usb for mic. Schiit Modi/Magni is something that I see on every similar thread shouted as if it were the gospel savior. No offense. I know that will work and in fact they are quite small, but that doesn't exactly fit the all-in-one bubble, would mean more wires, and would take up more space. Shouldn't a product fit the consumer and not the other way round?I'm not totally adverse to the idea of a separate DAC and AMP. I would just like to dig a little deeper and question more of what are my available options are.

As for the virtual surround sound...I've been talking in person to a few people (as well as other testimonies written in other forums) who actually have years in experience selling sound products saying that virtual surround sound is more or less just a marketing thing and stereo works just as well or sometimes better for positional/directional audio for say an FPS game like battlefield 4. Would losing Astro's surround sound conversion to my headset be that bad if it  removes that awful hissing and the fact that others and myself have complained that voice audio from the mic was too low to hear sometimes? Anyone is free too jump in and comment based on fact about stereo vs simulated virtual surround sound.

(Note: I turned off the surround on the mixamp by pushing the front button and didn't notice a difference which makes me question if I'm getting surround sound at all. I will say that the upgrade from the Astro A50 headset to the current setup with the mixamp has improved directional audio, for example helicopters used to sound like they were everywhere. Now I can actually tell which direction left and right and even up and down. Though a lot of factors come into play as to why this is. Is it the headset? The mixamp? Is the Mixamps simulated surround sound to the Game Zeros that much better than the A50s? Hard to tell.)

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 19
  I was in the same position a while back with the mic issue. It is really difficult to use good headphones on a gaming console, but what I did is use the mixamp to feed into a fiio E09k and then plugged my modmic into my controller with an adapter. It was super ghetto and janky so I ended up just using my connect :p. All done with an xbox one. ****** xbox. Idk if a mic signal can be sent through optical into the ps4, but if it can, you can use the mixamp, feed it into an amp with a 3.5mm 4-pole male to 2 3.5mm females. Plug the analog in on the amp into one female and the mic 3.5mm plug into the other jack. It should theoretically work if ps4 optical supports mic input and audio output simultaneously. That does not work on the xbox one. :p

That does sound pretty ghetto. lol. Mic signal gets sent through with the USB cable connected to the front of the PS4.

"Plug the analog in on the amp into one female and the mic 3.5mm plug into the other jack. It should theoretically work if ps4 optical supports mic input and audio output simultaneously." I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work. If they made cables like that and input/output machines that would accept the cables that would simplify everyone's lives. Alas from my understanding audio works one way only.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 19

It's very easy to hook up an optical input DAC to the PS4, but you will not get headphone surround sound, which is what the Mix-amp provides.
My suggestion is to get the FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60) and daisy chain it off the Mix-amp.

A lot of people do that and recommend daisy chaining with the PS4, the MixAmp, and high impedance PC headsets. I've read (skimmed) that extensive thread with the reviews/tutorials/diagrams on headphones, amps, and dacs here on Head-Fi and how to daisy chain them to a console. (I can't remember the link to the threadat this time)

So I'm familiar with the suggestion and yes that is an option. Though please look at the reply to cel4145 I made (Post #6, the second paragraph specifically) and if you want to state your opinion on the matter of stereo vs virtual surround sound.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 19
The PS4 uses an optical cable to hook up to the DAC/Amp and a usb for mic. Schiit Modi/Magni is something that I see on every similar thread shouted as if it were the gospel savior. No offense. I know that will work and in fact they are quite small, but that doesn't exactly fit the all-in-one bubble, would mean more wires, and would take up more space. Shouldn't a product fit the consumer and not the other way round?I'm not totally adverse to the idea of a separate DAC and AMP. I would just like to dig a little deeper and question more of what are my available options are.

I own a 1st generation Modi and used to own a Schiit Asgard 2. Schiit makes excellent equipment for the money, IMO. If you want to discuss it, there are dedicated threads for the Modi 2 and Magni 2 where you can learn more. But I don't want to get into a debate about it. (lol)

As for the virtual surround sound...I've been talking in person to a few people (as well as other testimonies written in other forums) who actually have years in experience selling sound products saying that virtual surround sound is more or less just a marketing thing and stereo works just as well or sometimes better for positional/directional audio for say an FPS game like battlefield 4. Would losing Astro's surround sound conversion to my headset be that bad if it  removes that awful hissing and the fact that others and myself have complained that voice audio from the mic was too low to hear sometimes? Anyone is free too jump in and comment based on fact about stereo vs simulated virtual surround sound.

You'll have to decide all this for yourself. I haven't ever used virtual surround for FPS with headphones (they didn't even have it when I started playing FPS), and if I want to be enveloped in sound on my PS3, I have a full blown HT system with real surround, not the fake stuff :wink:

But the general consensus seems to be that if you don't need virtual surround, there are better amp/dac options for the money than the Astro.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 19
I own a 1st generation Modi and used to own a Schiit Asgard 2. Schiit makes excellent equipment for the money, IMO. If you want to discuss it, there are dedicated threads for the Modi 2 and Magni 2 where you can learn more. But I don't want to get into a debate about it. (lol)
You'll have to decide all this for yourself. I haven't ever used virtual surround for FPS with headphones (they didn't even have it when I started playing FPS), and if I want to be enveloped in sound on my PS3, I have a full blown HT system with real surround, not the fake stuff
wink.gif

But the general consensus seems to be that if you don't need virtual surround, there are better amp/dac options for the money than the Astro.

No need for a debate. 
darthsmile.gif
It is another decent option, one where I would have to make a few concessions on though. I've looked into them too. Their official site actually says it supports the ps4 in the descriptions of their products. I won't deny though that their cost to performance/features list isn't good for what I'm trying to bang my head on and picking the brains of others to try and solve.

The thing is I'm not sure if I need the virtual surround or if I'm really getting it at all. The "look before I leap" approach is what I'm trying to do and the products I mentioned are a poke in the dark to see if anyone has tried them, before I buy more gear or if I should be looking at something I haven't heard of.

Thanks though we may not have the answer, but someone else might have a piece of the puzzle.

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 19
  That does sound pretty ghetto. lol. Mic signal gets sent through with the USB cable connected to the front of the PS4.

"Plug the analog in on the amp into one female and the mic 3.5mm plug into the other jack. It should theoretically work if ps4 optical supports mic input and audio output simultaneously." I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work. If they made cables like that and input/output machines that would accept the cables that would simplify everyone's lives. Alas from my understanding audio works one way only.

Well, a four pole 3.5mm sends and receives. It worked on my mixamp and my creative soundblaster e5 before.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 19
  I'm in a similar boat. In particular, I've been looking for confirmation that the Audio Engine D1 works properly with the PS4. Can anyone confirm by experience?

Hey I've looked into it. The Audio Engine D1 doesn't work for Chat/Mic (On PC there is this weird clicking and apparently it is a known issue). I got the headphone part of the headset to work, but I don't think it supports usb mic on the ps4. I even looked into the 400$ Creative Sound Blaster X7, but they also don't support mic on PS4. From what I've read, on the forums people have looked into that one already and the customer service told them it doesn't support the PS4.
Ori ginally Posted by Japheel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Well, a four pole 3.5mm sends and receives. It worked on my mixamp and my creative soundblaster e5 before.

Actually in my reading into how the mic audio works on the ps4, it only works through either combined input/output through usb or combined input/output though the Dualshock4 controller (or Bluetooth but who uses Bluetooth.). From my understanding the PS3 had more audio settings and that the PS4 took a step back in only being able to use only these two options.

At the time of writing this post I'm calling it quits. I've come to my own conclusion that the only product, as of right now, that is similar to Astro's Mixamp is the Turtle beach Ear Force DSS (Ver. 2 of this product is actually a downgrade in SQ relating to it's surround sound so if you want the DSS get the original supposedly is what I've been reading). Astro's Mixamp has been out since 2010 and version 2013 still has some of the same problems then it's earlier model and they have terrible customer service apparently. I'm just surprised that we haven't seen a real competitor in the past 5-6 years that this product has been out for external Dac/Amp all-in-ones that are multi-platform. I'd be happy to shell out money for a well designed product that can power the higher impedance PC headsets for that convenience.

So I bought a "Magni 2" and a "Modi 2 Uber"(Schiit's official website actually offers a better deal than Amazon Prime and they have a sense of humor which is a plus). It should arrive in the next week or so. I even bought all the assorted cables, even a green 3.5mm male to rca male cable to test the Astro Mixamp with the Magni 2 to see if virtual surround sound makes a difference or not when we're talking about better headsets. So yeah if anyone is still paying attention I'll be back with a sorta review. I'll let you guys know if I like the Astro Mixamp + the Magni 2 combo vs the Magni 2/Modi 2 Uber stack.

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 19
  Hey I've looked into it. The Audio Engine D1 doesn't work for Chat/Mic (On PC there is this weird clicking and apparently it is a known issue). I got the headphone part of the headset to work, but I don't think it supports usb mic on the ps4. I even looked into the 400$ Creative Sound Blaster X7, but they also don't support mic on PS4. From what I've read, on the forums people have looked into that one already and the customer service told them it doesn't support the PS4.
Actually in my reading into how the mic audio works on the ps4, it only works through either combined input/output through usb or combined input/output though the Dualshock4 controller (or Bluetooth but who uses Bluetooth.). From my understanding the PS3 had more audio settings and that the PS4 took a step back in only being able to use only these two options.

At the time of writing this post I'm calling it quits. I've come to my own conclusion that the only product, as of right now, that is similar to Astro's Mixamp is the Turtle beach Ear Force DSS (Ver. 2 of this product is actually a downgrade in SQ relating to it's surround sound so if you want the DSS get the original supposedly is what I've been reading). Astro's Mixamp has been out since 2010 and version 2013 still has some of the same problems then it's earlier model and they have terrible customer service apparently. I'm just surprised that we haven't seen a real competitor in the past 5-6 years that this product has been out for external Dac/Amp all-in-ones that are multi-platform. I'd be happy to shell out money for a well designed product that can power the higher impedance PC headsets for that convenience.

So I bought a "Magni 2" and a "Modi 2 Uber"(Schiit's official website actually offers a better deal than Amazon Prime and they have a sense of humor which is a plus). It should arrive in the next week or so. I even bought all the assorted cables, even a green 3.5mm male to rca male cable to test the Astro Mixamp with the Magni 2 to see if virtual surround sound makes a difference or not when we're talking about better headsets. So yeah if anyone is still paying attention I'll be back with a sorta review. I'll let you guys know if I like the Astro Mixamp + the Magni 2 combo vs the Magni 2/Modi 2 Uber stack.

Cool. Hope you find something you like in those combos and I'll be awaiting your findings.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 19
  A lot of people do that and recommend daisy chaining with the PS4, the Mix-Amp, and high impedance PC headsets. I've read (skimmed) that extensive thread with the reviews/tutorials/diagrams on headphones, amps, and dacs here on Head-Fi and how to daisy chain them to a console. (I can't remember the link to the threadat this time)

So I'm familiar with the suggestion and yes that is an option. Though please look at the reply to cel4145 I made (Post #6, the second paragraph specifically) and if you want to state your opinion on the matter of stereo vs virtual surround sound.

I really have no idea if stereo audio is just as good as headphone surround sound (for FPS gaming), it might be, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to say either way.
(I've heard there is something called The Force, which makes you a better shot)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back