Need help with OBH-11/OBH-11SE purchase decision
Sep 22, 2001 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
I'm ready to purchase either the Creek OBH-11 or OBH-11SE.I would like the amp to work well with headphones that are 32 ohms-300ohms,which I have seen the specs for these amps.I searched the threads and someone said that the OBH-11SE has one jack at 120 ohms and the other jack at 220 ohms.I would assume that the OBH-11 (cheaper model) jack is 120 ohms,but I'm not sure. So, my main concern is; will the cheaper model be sufficient enough for headphone impedances between 32-300 ohms or would the SE version be a better choice because of the 2 different jack impedances,such as with using headphones that are 250-300 ohms. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sep 22, 2001 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 25
Magic: I've auditioned both the 11SE and 11; I found that the 11SE's only perceptible advantage was the regulated OBH-2 power supply, and this was through Senn HD-580 headphones. Purchase the OBH-11 and get the OBH-2 power supply from stoneaudio.co.uk for about US$85 shipped and you're set.

Sep 22, 2001 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 25
The standard OBH-11 will easily drive Grados (32 ohm) or Senn HD580/600 (300 ohm). The 11se is a nice step up, slightly more open/detailed and a bit more bass punch, mainly supplied by superior OBH-2 power supply which can be bought seperately many places in USA for @$90.

If you can get used OBH-11se for $250 or less I would definitley go for it. You can probably get new OBH-11se for $300 if you search. Otherwise you can get OBH-11 and later get OBH-2
power supply and have very close to 11se performance.

obh2.jpg

Another advantage is its small size which is good for use with portable CDP, or where audio shelf space is tight.

Sep 22, 2001 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 25
Heh, for what it's worth, the OBH-11 does a great job for me. I haven't heard it with the OBH-2 power supply... and I probably never will unless someone loans me one or something.

I have also heard a few people say the same thing as wasifazim about OBH-11/11SE differences though.

Sep 22, 2001 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 25
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am also curious about the Volume Pots on each model. The OBH-11 pot looks much larger than the SE pot in the pictures. Are they actually different sizes? I also see that the SE has an Alps Blue Velvet Pot. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Alps pot on the SE and the pot on the regular OBH-11?

Sep 22, 2001 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
The OBH-11 pot looks much larger than the SE pot in the pictures. Are they actually different sizes?

Are you referring to the volume knobs? The size seems to vary based on whatever Creek has in its parts bins at the time -- some people have the larger knobs and some the smaller. The size of the volume knob doesn't necessarily say much about the pot itself. For example, JMT built several amps for me, and (to the best of my knowledge) they all use the same potentiometer, but one of them has a very small knob, whilst the others have big metal ones.

I've owned both the SE and the regular OBH-11, and the OBH-11 (even just with its smaller power supply) sounded better to me. It's important to note, however, that the OBH-11SE has since undergone an upgrade (newer units have serial numbers starting with "B" instead of "A"), and these new units are supposed to sound better. The regular OBH-11 has not been upgraded, so even if you see a non SE model with a "B" serial number, it's the same as the "A". From my experiences with the A-series OBH-11SE and the OBH-11, it doesn't surprise me that Creek saw fit to fix up the SE to squeeze more performance out of it. No joke, if you offered me a choice of a free A-series SE and a regular OBH-11 with the smaller power supply, I'd still take the regular OBH-11. But I'd take my chances with the SE if it was the B-series model.

Sep 22, 2001 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 25
Jude,

Yes, I was referring to the volume knobs as far as the size,thanks.More importantly,I wanted to know if their was any significant difference of quality between the "Alps Blue Velvet Pot" on the SE version compared to the Pot on the regular version? I also saw that you have the Sony MDR-7506 headphones which I am also interested in. How do they match up with the Creek amps?

Sep 23, 2001 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 25
Dark Angel,

Can you tell me what you feel is the improvement that the OBH-2 power supply gives opposed to the OBH-1? Reason being; at the Creek website, they say that both the OBH-11 & OBH-11SE have on board Regulators.So, I'm trying to find out if the difference in power supplies is a "major" step up or just a "subtle" step up.Thanks.

Sep 23, 2001 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 25
Magic77: I dunno if this a good deal or not - but check the for sale forum RIGHT NOW - wasifazim is selling a Creek OBH-11 along with OBH-2 power supply for $250!!!!

just thought u'd be interested....

Sep 23, 2001 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 25
Magic
The OBH-2 power supply is significantly better that OBH-1, very important in any amplifier, regardless of any regulation circuitry.
As I stated above, sound is slightly more open/detailed with better bass performance.

The OBH-11se is best, but OBH-11/OBH-2 combo comes close to
11se performance at slightly less cost. I believe if you read Creek description of OBH-2 they say it will upgrade sound vs OBH-1.

Sep 23, 2001 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 25
joelongwood: I told him first!!!
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2001 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 25
Thanks guys,but I prefer to buy all of my electronics in brand new condition. I'm trying to get some more information about Power Supplies on the web,such as; regulated vs. unregulated. I know regulated is better, but is it actually necessary for all applications? Maybe I should search the DIY threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back